Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Actuary View Post
    Has anyone tried ECS 2-piece rear rotors with Rally Road adapters on the 996 conversion? I'm wondering if the fit is similar to stock rotors, or if the ECS rotors are too thick for this setup.
    I did not use them, but I did seriously consider them. When I called ECS to price the replacement friction rings they informed me that they no longer sell them separately, but will give you a discount on replacement rotor assemblies when the time comes. I do not recall what the discount was, but from a purely price perspective they did not make sense vs. the OEM crosssdrilled rotors. HTH anyone considering them with the idea that replacements will be comparatively cheap.

D-O

oops - just noticed you were inquiring about the rear rotors - I was only referring to the fronts!
    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Actuary View Post
      Has anyone tried ECS 2-piece rear rotors with Rally Road adapters on the 996 conversion? I'm wondering if the fit is similar to stock rotors, or if the ECS rotors are too thick for this setup.
      They shouldn't be any different but BMW CSL rotors are also 2-piece rotors. I was looking at them after they arrived and even though they're bigger than old rotors, the weight is much less according to my internal weight meter. They're also $150 cheaper than the ECS ones. It's really cool how BMW made their 2 piece look like a 1 piece for the surface. It's very discrete. The wheel covers the hub so I guess it doesn't matter that much.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

They shouldn't be any different but BMW CSL rotors are also 2-piece rotors. I was looking at them after they arrived and even though they're bigger than old rotors, the weight is much less according to my internal weight meter. They're also $150 cheaper than the ECS ones. It's really cool how BMW made their 2 piece look like a 1 piece for the surface. It's very discrete. The wheel covers the hub so I guess it doesn't matter that much.
        Thanks for the info!! I have the front ECS rotors and would like to have a matching rear on my 996 setup. In addition, the ECS front rotors are holding up much better for me on the track. I"m likely to stick with the OEM CSL rotors in the back, especially given the cost. But it would be good to know if the rear ECS rotors can clear the 996 brakes.

Comment

Like many others I used this DIY to rebuild my calipers and the install DIY from xpme46m3 to do this project. One of the biggest projects I've tackled on my own to date, made a couple mistakes but learnt a lot along the way and am extremely pleased with the outcome! Just waiting on decals now.... 🙄

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3503.jpeg
Views:	586
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	39299

Name:	IMG_3717.jpeg
Views:	581
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	39302

Name:	5C74CDC3-BB69-4111-BD03-F5DF938B5E9C.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	39297

Name:	29822AAD-0C7D-47E2-A38B-A34ED47471BF.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	39301
          Attached Files
          2003 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe | BUILDJOURNAL | CAE RACING | DMG AUTOSPORT | SUPERSPRINT | 996 BREMBO BBK | ENKEI | RAYS ENGINEERING | MOTORSPORT HARDWARE | AST | BIMMERWORLD | TURNER MOTORSPORT | REDISH MOTORSPORT | DR VANOS | BEISAN

Comment

damn looks good. i want to rebuild one but hard to come by a decent condition and priced set of calipers

Comment

Good stuff Titaniu//M & HighOnLSB !
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have completed the painting. I decided to not paint the hardware for a more OE look. they came out good, not perfect. but more than enough as they get dirty most of the time. I should be able to install them later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for this amazing guide!

Click image for larger version  Name:	JCMV9137.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.8 KB ID:	39479

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0120.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.6 KB ID:	39480
                Last edited by maupineda; 07-02-2020, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Looks great man!

Comment

I have completed my install.

All went in like butter as I had cut the shields in advance.

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	39795

Now with the wheel

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	39794

And for the fronts I went a different direction, but still looks nice and works nice!

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	39793
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks Good!
                      TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                      Evolve Eventuri
                      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I changed one o-ring on the rear today. Looks like I punctured it during install and it was leaking through the dust boot. I also had a spongy end point. It's now way harder to push the break. So far the best mod on my car.
                        2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Now a photo under the sun, brakes do improve the looks of a car.

Before

Name:	IMG_9848.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	39976

After

Name:	IMG_0124.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	39977

And from the other sunnier / shiner side (sun)

Name:	IMG_0127.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	39975

Comment

These transformations bring joy to my soul
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Great info guys! I was just asking this question in another thread. I’m running OEM ZCPs and currently have 12mm spacers in the front. Picked up a set of 15mm spacers based on old info, but looks like I won’t need them. I’ll report back after my install.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              They'll fit, but will the gap be questionable? Please report back thx!
                              Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post
                              Post pics! I want to see that I haven't been insane this whole time ranting about 12mm or smaller spacers on this setup lol
                              Originally posted by bassel_sy View Post
                              awesome, please keep us updated.

Name:	IMG_3544.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	50671

I know there have been a few updates since this was first discussed back in April, but I am at the tail end of my install and wanted to follow up on the discussion of OEM ZCP wheel (factory staggered setup) and spacer sizes.

Wheel Setup: My car is a factory US ZCP model which has 19x8.0" ET47 in the front and 19x9.5" ET27 in the rear.

Brackets:I am also using the Rallyroad adapter brackets for both front and rear calipers. Earlier discussion mentioned issues with having to grind down the front brackets to get them to fit on the king pins and/or grinding down the brake pad dowel pins to prevent binding on the rotor. I didn't have any of these issues. My brackets fit perfect and the caliper was centered on the rotor without to the use of any washers on the adapter bracket.

Spacers: There was some old M3forum information that 15mm spacers with OEM ZCP staggered setup was the recommended setup. Based on that I had purchased 15mm spacers. After test fitting everything a 15mm spacer will clear the caliper. However, it was WAY too close for comfort. There was <1mm clearance between the caliper and the wheel. The closest points of clearance were at the top and bottom front edges of the caliper to the inner wheel spokes. I understand that everybody will have a different opinion on how much clearance is "required". My recommendation is to get a 17.5mm or larger spacer. Using a 17.5mm spacer will give you ~3mm of total clearance. Pictures are below showing the clearance between the caliper and wheel.

I'm not sure how mainstreamer00 had an entire finger between his caliper and wheel. My guess is that he was running OEM ZCP rear sized wheels in the fronts and didnt know it?? I have 12mm spacers in the garage but didn't even try fitting them after seeing the clearance with 15mm spacers.

Name:	IMG_3542.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	50672

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	50673
                              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Thanks for confirming! So it's the csl wheel that can get away with a 12mm or maybe even 10mm as the csl version of the wheel sticks out 9mm more than zcp version. 18-9=9. Though that doesn't account for any difference in the spoke clearance between csl and zcp, if there is any. (I think csl version has slightly more concavity).

I'm mounting csl wheels now, but I'm going to use a 12mm spacer, so I'm sure clearance will be fine. I can post pics.

And you're only the second person besides me I've seen note that they didn't nice to mod the front brackets or king pin to fit.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X