No announcement yet.

F8X Brembo BBK Swap on E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The paradox is that good drivers are actually easier on the brakes. No overbraking, proper technique, etc.

You only have too much brake until you don’t 🤡
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

380 is too large to be beneficial for sure. Can’t run 18s, which are way better for this car on track than 19s, much less 17s. No need for the extra heat capacity over 355s.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        380 is too large to be beneficial for sure. Can’t run 18s, which are way better for this car on track than 19s, much less 17s. No need for the extra heat capacity over 355s.
        Apex lists several 380mm kits that fit under their 18" wheels, and 18" wheels fit over the F8X brakes on the F8X cars... between those two pieces of information, I don't think it's a reach to assume there are readily available 18s you can run.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Apex lists several 380mm kits that fit under their 18" wheels, and 18" wheels fit over the F8X brakes on the F8X cars... between those two pieces of information, I don't think it's a reach to assume there are readily available 18s you can run.
          Yeah, apex goes out of the way to make it work. My track setup is 17” apex wheels, which are the only 17s I know of that can clear 355mm BBKs... which I meant I had to compromise other things to run 17s. With 380s you’re making the same compromises in order to run 18s, with no hope of 17s.

... not to mention that the 380s are extra unsprung mass and rotational inertia without a functional benefit over 355s.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yeah, apex goes out of the way to make it work. My track setup is 17” apex wheels, which are the only 17s I know of that can clear 355mm BBKs... which I meant I had to compromise other things to run 17s. With 380s you’re making the same compromises in order to run 18s, with no hope of 17s.

... not to mention that the 380s are extra unsprung mass and rotational inertia without a functional benefit over 355s.
            Both set ups have their own positives. If you are going for ultimate light wight in which 20 lbs is going to make a difference, then yeah it seems like the 996 swap is the way to go. However, most people won't be anywhere near that level of weight reduction.

In my opinion, the f8x swap is the most cost effective system that substantially upgrades the brakes over oem. However, I honestly dont think you can really go wrong with either of the swaps bc both are way better than factory.

Comment

ARC8 is the only Apex wheel that wouldn't fit (barrel wise). All others will fit on an M3/4, including the newer Forged Arc8R.

I had to sell my Arc8 track setup when I moved to f8x brakes on my e92m3.
              These are BW TA5R in the common track 18x10 et25 size (after a track day)

Comment

Do The rear caliper mounting points need to be machined down 2.5mm as well? Or is that only the fronts that need that?

Comment

Any info on the brake bias? I have the E31/996 combo laying around and would like to know if this is a better solution?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanE46 View Post
                    Any info on the brake bias? I have the E31/996 combo laying around and would like to know if this is a better solution?
                    Check out the 3rd page in this thread, specifically post #44. All the info you need is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cglhut View Post
                      Do The rear caliper mounting points need to be machined down 2.5mm as well? Or is that only the fronts that need that?
                      No, only the fronts need to be machined down =).

Comment

Originally posted by SeanE46 View Post
                        I don't have exact numbers but from what I have read on M3Cutters and another member on page 3, it looks like brake bias is slightly rear biased on the 2001-2003.5 models, and near perfect for the 2003.5+ models we the updated ABS system. I am running some Ferodo DS2500 pads and all around daily and plan to switch the fronts to DS1.11 for track days. I have heard this works well and it should also help with the rear bias.

Comment

So if i need to source the set, what donor car and year im looking for? I check realoem and partnumber and found these cars with the same caliper/rotors, is the list correct?

thanks all, really not familiar with newer cars and since ill be needing pads and rotors soon on my zcp perhaps add more money and upgrade to this setup.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikeetastic View Post
                            So if i need to source the set, what donor car and year im looking for? I check realoem and partnumber and found these cars with the same caliper/rotors, is the list correct?

thanks all, really not familiar with newer cars and since ill be needing pads and rotors soon on my zcp perhaps add more money and upgrade to this setup.
                            All the M cars on that list will have them, but the non-M cars would have to have been optioned to have the same brakes as the M cars. M2 Competition have different brakes -- they came after the M2 LCI cars.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

All the M cars on that list will have them, but the non-M cars would have to have been optioned to have the same brakes as the M cars. M2 Competition have different brakes -- they came after the M2 LCI cars.
                              are there any markings on calipers or as long as they blue like the first post and just avoid the m2 competition?

thanks btw.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeetastic View Post

are there any markings on calipers or as long as they blue like the first post and just avoid the m2 competition?

thanks btw.
                                There's at least one other blue one-piece caliper that looks similar: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=34116799465

This came off of other cars like the M235i, I want to say they mate with different brackets for different sized rotors? But I'm not 100% on the difference. So blue alone isn't correct.

If they're blue and came off of one of the cars that you listed first (and/or part number matches) then you're good.

Comment

Working...
                                X