Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTB View Post

Same wheels, same tires, same seats (well almost, I’ve got FRP). Great choices

First time using the seat on track last weekend (COTA)— surprised to notice the slightest of movement around the hips but I suppose in part that’s the difference between a full racing seat and something I’d want to drive in every day (also I’m tall at 6’5” but pretty slim at the waist). Needless to say, I love this seat

Awesome looking car! You clearly have impeccable taste.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

And the verdict is...

With the 4 mounting bolts in the seat as shipped (a nominal amount of weight, but I will remove them for total accuracy tomorrow) and me balancing the seat with one hand while taking a photo with the other, they weighed in at about 8.16 kg / 18.0 lbs each. While they are lighter than the quoted weight on Driftworks' site of the "standard" GRP seat, that's quite a ways off from 5.3 kg / 11.7 lbs per seat.

I'll get better accuracy around these tomorrow when I'm not single handed, but clearly these are not what I thought I ordered (a total of around 8 lbs saved between both seats, rather than ~22 lbs). In my mind, these are definitely not worth the 3X price differential over the standard GRP seats. These look absolutely mint, don't get me wrong - the quality, fit and finish is extremely good - but not what I thought I was getting.

I'll send Driftworks an email.

Note: These photos are the best I could manage. While the figures below are close, there is definitely some measuring error here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-12-26-17-47-20-18_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	197595

Name:	Screenshot_2022-12-26-17-45-39-25_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	197597

Name:	Screenshot_2022-12-26-17-46-28-60_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	197596

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

NAM3F COTA track day when? 🤔🤔
        Ugh, wish it wasn't so expensive, seems Edge Addicts is the only real option? Early 2023 is likely no bueno for me, but mid/late 2023 could be good!

Any good country routes outside of town? I have a short loop I do out near Manor (I live in north Austin) but still have yet to explore much outside of Austin, west hills etc.

Comment

Ugh, wish it wasn't so expensive, seems Edge Addicts is the only real option? Early 2023 is likely no bueno for me, but mid/late 2023 could be good!

Any good country routes outside of town? I have a short loop I do out near Manor (I live in north Austin) but still have yet to explore much outside of Austin, west hills etc.
          Chin Track Days also hosts events at COTA. PCA runs an event called Austin Schnell Fest twice a year. Both are much better than Edge Addicts events at COTA IMO.

Lime Creek Road is what you’re looking for. It’s near Lake Travis and is really popular among the Austin car community. Just be careful..recently more cops have been posted up along that road.

Also, any chance I can sit in your Nogaro seats in the near future? I’d def like to make sure they work for me before I spend thousands on them.
          Last edited by SQ13; 12-28-2022, 07:11 AM.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
            And the verdict is...

With the 4 mounting bolts in the seat as shipped (a nominal amount of weight, but I will remove them for total accuracy tomorrow) and me balancing the seat with one hand while taking a photo with the other, they weighed in at about 8.16 kg / 18.0 lbs each. While they are lighter than the quoted weight on Driftworks' site of the "standard" GRP seat, that's quite a ways off from 5.3 kg / 11.7 lbs per seat.
            Maybe the quoted weight is with a different upholstery? Having said that, it's hard to believe it would be a 6 pound difference...

Comment

Chin Track Days also hosts events at COTA. PCA runs an event called Austin Schnell Fest twice a year. Both are much better than Edge Addicts events at COTA IMO.

Lime Creek Road is what you’re looking for. It’s near Lake Travis and is really popular among the Austin car community. Just be careful..recently more cops have been posted up along that road.

Also, any chance I can sit in your Nogaro seats in the near future? I’d def like to make sure they work for me before I spend thousands on them.
              Oh dang, good to know! I was also signed up for Track Night in America at Harris Hill but ended up not being able to make it, would like to drive that track at some point.

You can try out the Nogaro anytime, just PM me-- this weekend could work. For now I just have on driver's side with Brey-Krause mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Maybe the quoted weight is with a different upholstery? Having said that, it's hard to believe it would be a 6 pound difference...
                The fabric is the same as the GRP seat. And yeah, 6 lbs of upholstery is a LOT of upholstery.

Comment

Oh dang, good to know! I was also signed up for Track Night in America at Harris Hill but ended up not being able to make it, would like to drive that track at some point.

You can try out the Nogaro anytime, just PM me-- this weekend could work. For now I just have on driver's side with Brey-Krause mounts.
                  Harris Hill is alright. Super bumpy, so I don’t drive my M3 there anymore.

Thanks! I’m working this weekend unfortunately, but I’ll PM you so we can coordinate. Could do a Lime Creek run if you’re interested.

Comment

Awesome looking car! You clearly have impeccable taste.
                    Thank you-- heh! In fact just bought 2 additional 18x9.5 ET35 EC-7s during Apex's holiday sale. Glad I chose these way back when ~9 years ago

Harris Hill is alright. Super bumpy, so I don’t drive my M3 there anymore.

Thanks! I’m working this weekend unfortunately, but I’ll PM you so we can coordinate. Could do a Lime Creek run if you’re interested.
                    Didn't know about Harris Hill-- I probably would not love it in that case lol. Sounds good, HMU anytime

Comment

And the verdict is...

I'll get better accuracy around these tomorrow when I'm not single handed, but clearly these are not what I thought I ordered (a total of around 8 lbs saved between both seats, rather than ~22 lbs). In my mind, these are definitely not worth the 3X price differential over the standard GRP seats. These look absolutely mint, don't get me wrong - the quality, fit and finish is extremely good - but not what I thought I was getting.

I'll send Driftworks an email.

Note: These photos are the best I could manage. While the figures below are close, there is definitely some measuring error here.

Name:	Screenshot_2022-12-26-17-47-20-18_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	197595

Name:	Screenshot_2022-12-26-17-45-39-25_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	197597

Name:	Screenshot_2022-12-26-17-46-28-60_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	197596
                      Are the seat that you weight the wet carbon overlays or the full carbon seat?

The full carbon is like $5k, right and the wet carbon overlay is $2.5k while the fiberglass is $1k?

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

The full carbon is like $5k, right and the wet carbon overlay is $2.5k while the fiberglass is $1k?
                        Overlay.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

The seat(s) I weighed and have is presumably the wet carbon overlay variant.

I did not know there were 3 variants of the seat when I ordered them. The 3 being:
                          1) fiberglass / GRP
                          2) wet carbon overlay
                          3) full carbon

If you follow the Driftworks' link: https://www.driftworks.com/cobra-nog...port-seat.html

...based on advertised weights in their description (which is a copy & paste from Cobra's main site, not Cobra's US site), it reads like they sell variants 1 or 3. I thought I was getting variant 3. I didn't even know variant 2 existed until I weighed them. And I only thought to weigh them because when I picked them up, they felt like they weighed more than 11.7 pounds.

I'm truly surprised Cobra even makes variant 2. What's the point for the paltry weight savings over variant 1 other than purely cosmetic/bling? For something that functional (it's not something like a #happybuyitnow diffuser or carbon interior trim), I literally do not see the point.

Comment

The seat(s) I weighed and have is presumably the wet carbon overlay variant.

I did not know there were 3 variants of the seat when I ordered them. The 3 being:
                            1) fiberglass / GRP
                            2) wet carbon overlay
                            3) full carbon

If you follow the Driftworks' link: [url]
                            ...based on advertised weights in their description (which is a copy & paste from Cobra's main site, not Cobra's US site), it reads like they sell variants 1 or 3. I thought I was getting variant 3. I didn't even know variant 2 existed until I weighed them. And I only thought to weigh them because when I picked them up, they felt like they weighed more than 11.7 pounds.

I'm truly surprised Cobra even makes variant 2. What's the point for the paltry weight savings over variant 1 other than purely cosmetic/bling? For something that functional (it's not something like a #happybuyitnow diffuser or carbon interior trim), I literally do not see the point.
                            I thought so too because of the prices. The GRP is the cheapest at around $1k each which weight about 19lbs. The carbon overlay which are $2600 each and weight 17lbs. The full carbon are actually $4600 each and weight 12lbs:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Save+A+Battery/240/NOGS-CCVDBK/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0O2fxOWi_AIVEvjICh2ikw5rEAQYAS ABEgL9vvD_BwE

Remember those prices are for each seat. You have to normally buy two seats so those prices are x2.

Like you, I thought that the price for the full carbons were $2600 which seems like alot but reasonable for 12lbs seats. $4600 starts to become a bit much. $9200 for two seats and 7lbs less seems a bit too much.
                            Last edited by bmw m3 s50; 12-30-2022, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Could probably spend the $7200 difference to make up for the additional 14 lbs in some other way lol

Comment

Can someone who recently received (or will soon receive) a GRP Nogaro weigh the seat? Preferably, if you have the standard vinyl and Dinamica upholstery.

Looking for the "as shipped" weight.

Gracias,
                                Casa

Comment

Working...
                                X