No announcement yet.

Alcantara headliner or stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcantara headliner is nice to have but you or anyone else will never really take notice.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skillzo1; 09-23-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
      So 3 yards is what you guys are buying? Are you guys using the foam backed Alcantara or is it better to use another one of the material specs? Or a mix of foam backed for the headliner and the thiner one for the A/B/C pillars??
      I used 3 yard with no foam backing. I went on top of the stock headliner, so OE foam is still in place. If you're stripping down the headliner first, I'd get the foam backed.

Pillars you will peal and do not want foam backed.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

My old e60m5 had an Alcantara headliner and it was one of my most favorite features of the car. I've been wanting to do it to my e46. Use the real stuff as Obioban did.
        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
        Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

So does BMW use Alcantara “Black #9040” or “Anthracite #9002” on the M5?
          Or maybe I should ask which looks closest to the stock E46 M3 “anthracite” cloth?

Headliner is out, and nope respraying the original stock headliner anthracite cloth is not an option. The foam separates from cloth and is a layer of gunk that has to be scraped off. Unlike the A/B/C pillars which have a thin felt like material on the plastic between the unbacked cloth which is glued over it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	73528E6D-0CE0-4423-95AE-B73CA2323458.jpeg
Views:	1291
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	61697
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

BMW uses one shade off full black, which is the 9002 IIRC.

It looks better. I originally did my headliner in black, but ended up redoing it in the one shade off black because it never looked quite right. But, I do think the full black looks closer to the stock BMW M3 headliner, if that's what you're going for.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Yeah I think the anthracite 9002 probably is the way to go. Slight contrast from the black leather and the headliner being dark inside cabin probably helps it look darker.

i know most photos never do it justice but could you possibly post a few pics of your Alcantara headliner Obioban, thanks.
              Last edited by old///MFanatic; 10-13-2020, 06:14 PM.
              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

It’s interesting when you pull back the factory anthracite cloth from the pillars it’s black insulation underneath. You don’t realize the factory cloth isn’t truly black until it’s compared up against it.
                Agreed I think “Black” Alcantara might be too dark.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the stock headliner on my e60m5..its dark gray in color

Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Thanks Obioban for your earlier photo.

Thank you liam821.
                    Looking up the part number BMW does list it as anthracite alcantara on the M5.
                    That's what I'll get then.

I'm probably going to see how the headliner looks with the factory cloth sunvisors before pulling the trigger on doing those too. That looks like a pita job to do right and visors hopefully blend in well enough.
                    Last edited by old///MFanatic; 10-21-2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Yeah I think the anthracite 9002 probably is the way to go. Slight contrast from the black leather and the headliner being dark inside cabin probably helps it look darker.

i know most photos never do it justice but could you possibly post a few pics of your Alcantara headliner Obioban, thanks.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	CobraN-14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	61896

I still need to figure out something to do about the sun visors, but at least the airbag stickers are dealt with...

Steering wheel has since been changed to full alcanatara.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

^ Nice Ian, beautiful. Your headliner is the same as my old M5 - and probably the same as your e39m5 too. I think BMW uses the same color for all the 5 and 6 series M cars. The few X5M's i've been in all had the same headliner as well.
                        Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

It's a surprisingly nice touch on my E39 M5. Didn't expect to care or notice but I really like it (and oddly enough has been the one thing someone comments on when they get in the car more than once). If yours is damaged then it's a no-brainer, but not sure I'd spend the effort on an undamaged stock piece.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                            It's a surprisingly nice touch on my E39 M5. Didn't expect to care or notice but I really like it (and oddly enough has been the one thing someone comments on when they get in the car more than once). If yours is damaged then it's a no-brainer, but not sure I'd spend the effort on an undamaged stock piece.
                            The M5 is what made me do it. Never thought about it twice till I got the M5, then after I got it the M3 felt cheapened by its stock headliner.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

The M5 is what made me do it. Never thought about it twice till I got the M5, then after I got it the M3 felt cheapened by its stock headliner.
                              Once I get around to cutting out the sunroof and replacing it with a slicktop I have a completely new slicktop headliner waiting... but Just like repoman89 said I'm a bit hesitant to mess with it since its new.
                              Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

I have a factory slicktop. So the headliner is a bit more rare, and expensive as is the configuration (no sunroof). I baby this car but it was outside in unusual sun/heat while getting construction done on condo. To my dismay the stock headliner separated and needs to be re-glued. My first E46 in 2000 had a sunroof. I think perhaps non-sunroof headliners are closer to roof and thus get exposed to more heat, or maybe not.
                                My question is would you stick with the factory headliner, or go Alcantara since taking it out? I feel car value would actually go down with Alcantara vs stock on a slicktop. Interested in hearing thoughts of which to do? Thanks
                                If I have to spend the time or money to fix something, I make every effort to fix it in a way that makes it better than before. Sometimes an OE part is actually the best available, but in this case I definitely think the Alcantara is an upgrade, especially if you're going with an OEM material. If you put a blue headliner in or something I would agree that it would devalue the car, but if it was installed correctly I for sure would see the OEM anthracite as an upgrade. If I do the carbon roof I'd definitely do the alcantara headler also.

Comment

Working...
                                X