X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
    Low center of gravity or not it seems like a hunk of weight to add.
    For whatever an F1 engineer's opinion on race cars is worth in this context...

As our engineering insights series returns, we are joined by Mike Law, a greatly experienced vehicle dynamicist working at the highest levels of motorsport,....

Can't remember if it was in this video or another one in the series, but Mike Law seems to think reducing total mass is the first priority, followed by keeping CoG low. So, sounds like he'd agree with you. 😎

Also worth noting that the belly pan we seem to be talking about (stock = plastic) overhangs the front axle, which is another great place to reduce mass.

Leave a comment:

• bavarian3
    replied
    Originally posted by oceansize View Post
    It’s plastic and super light.

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    I think bavarian is talking about the aluminum belly pan. Its not heavy, per se, but it is quite strong. The PO of my car took it on (what I presume to be) an off road adventure that significantly dented the aluminum pan, it did not crack and I was able to hammer the dent out without any ill effects. Its quite rugged.
    Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

The turner one is aluminum, but I think he's actually referring to the plastic belly pan since that's what the turner piece replaces.

I've dealt with the turner one, not a good part imo - super heavy.

Stock is best here. Or even a cheap (Uro/hamburg tecknik/et al) plastic replica might be fine as it doesn't have to do much.

Yes referring to the plastic stock one.​ I'll have to put this Tuner one on the scale tomorrow. Low center of gravity or not it seems like a hunk of weight to add.

Leave a comment:

• gashby
    replied
    I just purchased an 03 HPF M3.I cleaned the ICV and throttle bodies and after I was done car started and ran and I shut it off. Next day I came out to the garage and there was a giant pool of oil underneath the car. Any ideas on what caused this?

Leave a comment:

• Tbonem3
    replied
    Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    I think bavarian is talking about the aluminum belly pan. Its not heavy, per se, but it is quite strong. The PO of my car took it on (what I presume to be) an off road adventure that significantly dented the aluminum pan, it did not crack and I was able to hammer the dent out without any ill effects. Its quite rugged.
    The turner one is aluminum, but I think he's actually referring to the plastic belly pan since that's what the turner piece replaces.

I've dealt with the turner one, not a good part imo - super heavy.

Stock is best here. Or even a cheap (Uro/hamburg tecknik/et al) plastic replica might be fine as it doesn't have to do much.

Leave a comment:

• jayjaya29
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oceansize
    replied
    It’s plastic and super light.

Leave a comment:

• bavarian3
    replied
    Does anyone know the stock underpanel/belly pan weight? Also what's everyone's experience with the stock ones do they crack easily?

My car came with a turner which is off the car right now, was pretty surprised by its weight. Thinking to throw a OE one on.

Leave a comment:

• BMWE46M3
    replied
    I have one you can borrow if you pay for shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Cubieman
    replied
    Where can I purchase a clutch alignment tool?

I can't seem to find one that will work with the self-adjusting clutch. I see some for sale but they are all of the traditional style that would run into the removable plate on the pressure plate.

Edit: Found this, but it lists the non-M's as well in the fitment information so just want to be sure.

Last edited by Cubieman; 01-20-2024, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zzyzx85
    replied
    high beam/DRL bulbs: replace with OE, Sylvania/Phillips improved halogens, yellow (might be illegal in CA?), or LED?

Leave a comment:

• discoelk
    replied
    ⬆️ S14.net is well established. I don't think many of those folks will be migrating here.

Anyone know the stack height of a stock e46 m3 clutch and flywheel? Is it the same as a E36?

Leave a comment:

• bimmerfan08
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    We could do it. Had ~0 posts in the old forum e30 section.
    Lol. Brutal.

Need to figure out how to attract E30 owners to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    We could do it. Has ~0 posts in the old forum e30 section.
    Do it, IMO

Leave a comment:

• Obioban
    replied
    We could do it. Had ~0 posts in the old forum e30 section.

Leave a comment:

• bimmerfan08
    replied
    Originally posted by Will View Post

I noticed it, too. But I imagine it'd be a low traffic / low-post subforum since most of the e30m3 people end up posting on s14.net and s14power.com.
    Figured this as well. I assume Ian or one of the other mods would know the exact rationale. Obioban

Leave a comment:

Working...
X