Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult are RTD/CAE shifters to remove and replace with OEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult are RTD/CAE shifters to remove and replace with OEM?

Quick question, might delete.

I'm currently on the hunt for my M3 and I've come across two that appear to be good deals-- good prices with lots of maintenance and service records. The only problem is that one of them has a crazy looking CAE shifter and the other one has an RTD short shift kit. I just want a simple OEM style shifter (first manual car) and I'd like to not write both of these cars off just because of that when everything else seems to check out. Pics below.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Files
    2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Is this originally a manual car, or an SMG converted to manual?
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
      Quick question, might delete.

I'm currently on the hunt for my M3 and I've come across two that appear to be good deals-- good prices with lots of maintenance and service records. The only problem is that one of them has a crazy looking CAE shifter and the other one has an RTD short shift kit. I just want a simple OEM style shifter (first manual car) and I'd like to not write both of these cars off just because of that when everything else seems to check out. Pics below.

Thanks guys!
      The CAE shifter is chassis mounted and should be fairly easy to remove, but you may just like it enough to keep it. It's a bit like a fine bolt-action rifle when shifting with the CAE.

Feff
      MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
        Is this originally a manual car, or an SMG converted to manual?
        This. It's possible that the car with the CAE shifter was originally SMG. That shifter has its own detents, which makes it so you don't have to machine the trans bell housing. If this is the case, then replacing the shifter with OEM would require that you also drop the trans, machine the bell housing and add the detent springs and related parts.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The RTD car has an SMG cluster and the picture of the CAE looks to have a manual cluster. That leads me to believe you wouldn't be able to remove the RTD without pulling the transmission and finishing the SMG swap.

Comment

Good eye. The RTD car would need a good amount of work to go to an OEM shifter. Also based on the link you posted in the craigslist thread MTiz , the CAE car is probably a factory manual since it's got a manual plenum. That one should be much easier to swap out.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

You’ll like the shifter so much you won’t want to go back to stock. I planned to remove my RTD shifter since I thought it looked odd in the car, but It was too fun to shift I couldn’t go back to stock. One of my favorite things is it removes the “slop” in the shifter. But it in 3rd gear and the shifter won’t wiggle even a 1/8 inch.

Comment

First manual and you have the option to have a CAE from the get go? No brainer that has to stay. I don't understand the hesitancy for people to say it's overkill. Overkill if you have to maybe initially put the money down to buy one, but if's already there, the homework has been done to have the best shifter in the vehicle. Have at it and have fun.

Comment

This thread is a prime example of why I love this forum. Not only did everyone answer my questions quickly, you guys even clued me in that the Tiag car was a manual swap just from looking at the cluster (there was no mention of a swap on Marketplace and I definitely wouldn't have looked at the cluster).

If I do end up going with the CAE car who knows, I might end up loving it like a bunch of you guys mentioned. Thanks a lot!
                  2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

I had the RTD and currently have the CAE. CAE is the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by cmenard View Post
                      The RTD car has an SMG cluster and the picture of the CAE looks to have a manual cluster. That leads me to believe you wouldn't be able to remove the RTD without pulling the transmission and finishing the SMG swap.

How can you tell the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by luc405 View Post

How can you tell the difference?
                        Yes, CAE is better. I used to have both also, and CAE is better finish quality also.

Comment

Originally posted by bjz! View Post

Yes, CAE is better. I used to have both also, and CAE is better finish quality also.

Sorry, I meant regarding the gauge clusters

Comment

Originally posted by luc405 View Post

Sorry, I meant regarding the gauge clusters
                            You can juuuuust barely make out that the gear position indicator is still present, although the lights are disabled. With the SMG swap and self-centering shifter it's a high possibility that the bellhousing has not been modified to accept the self-centering spring

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
                              First manual and you have the option to have a CAE from the get go? No brainer that has to stay. I don't understand the hesitancy for people to say it's overkill. Overkill if you have to maybe initially put the money down to buy one, but if's already there, the homework has been done to have the best shifter in the vehicle. Have at it and have fun.
                              Not debating you, but why would you recommend someone’s first manual car to be one with the CAE shifter?

Comment

Working...
                              X