No announcement yet.

Rod Bearing Showcase Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have kind of a weird wear pattern, but I don't see any copper so they aint too bad?

Comment

7/2001 build 72k miles. Rod bearings were done in its very early life around 20k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
        They have kind of a weird wear pattern, but I don't see any copper so they aint too bad?
        Yea I mean I'm far from an expert, they don't look bad but I'm glad I did them still for peace of mind.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
          51402432488_c49261ef3d_k by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Mystery bearings with mystery miles. Car has 108k total. No idea when these were done, and with what bearings. What do you guys think?

Glad to have the job done, one less thing to worry about. Had VANOS done as well. Big 3 officially complete.
          108K miles and 2001 MY. Bearing still looks good, and so depending on driving style, the bearings condition might be for 108K miles, or less if the dealer had replaced them. Call up the dealer and ask for bearing renew history.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
            7/2001 build 72k miles. Rod bearings were done in its very early life around 20k miles.
            Bearings still have a lot of life in them -- as you said they are only 50K miles. Why replace?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Bearings still have a lot of life in them -- as you said they are only 50K miles. Why replace?
              I was doing a full refresh and rebuild so I threw it in there as part of the big 3. The recall was done early in its life but I had no records of it being done. I’ve had it for 16 years and I’m looking to hang onto it for many many more.

Also I have a lot of VERY cold starts. Times where I don’t start my car for weeks or months.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

108K miles and 2001 MY. Bearing still looks good, and so depending on driving style, the bearings condition might be for 108K miles, or less if the dealer had replaced them. Call up the dealer and ask for bearing renew history.
                Yea my car did have the recall performed at like 32k miles or something like that.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

2005 with 100k miles. First 50k miles were original owner who did 15k oil changes @ the dealer. Second 50k were me and I did 7500mi oil changes with TWS 10w60.

The copper in the report worried me so I did the bearings. I would say they are definitely wearing out but don't look quite as bad as others I have seen. They probably could have gone a little longer with no ill effects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ovawUDJ.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	123750

1, 2, 3 tops

4, 5, 6 tops

All the bottoms looked new
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good call on replacing them 👍

Comment

2004 M3 with 141k miles. As far as I know the rod bearings have never been replaced and I was really worried. First report came back with really good news. I have sent out another sample and waiting for results.
                      I do oil changes myself with Liqui Moly 10w-60.
                      It has been daylied in Illinois for 10 years now so it has seen all kinds of weather. Warmed up 30 seconds before driving, oil changed every 5k and has seen redline every day.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Blast from the past...had these done Dec 2017 at ~170K miles.

Name:	6AC8D6A5-BD04-4F04-A5E7-9171E0B04049_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	423
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	139598
                        Applicable Blackstone report (pre bearing replacement) :

Name:	prebearing change.png
Views:	430
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	139599
                        and post bearing replacement. The high copper has been a constant...i wonder if the sample gets contaminated from the copper washer on the oil drain plug.

Name:	postbearing change.png
Views:	432
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	139602
                        Attached Files

Comment

167,000 km. Recall was at 55,000 km. Went with ACL bearings and reused M11 bolts.

Last 3 blackstone showed pretty much nothing. But did em anyway

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m at 160k with original bearings, thinking about getting them done ASAP!

Comment

These were especially awful. 05 ZCP with 99k.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post
                                These were especially awful. 05 ZCP with 99k.
                                WOW! Thats so bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X