DIY Z4 cruise control stalk with ZCP steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Z4 cruise control stalk with ZCP steering wheel

I don't like the buttons on the steering wheel so I opted to swap to the ZCP steering trim. I can deal with having to move my hand to adjust the volume or hitting a button on the navi screen to answer the phone. The one thing that is missing is the cruise control switches, and while I don't use cruise control much it's great for a longer trip. Thankfully you swap in a z4 cruise control stalk, which is really easy to do.

I'd imagine this would work with a true ZCP car, although I'm not sure if anything needs to be coded to enable cruise functionality and/or the wiring is there or not. Perhaps somebody else knows?

Parts list:

03-08 e85 Z4 cruise control stalk: 61316940989 $130
    Adapter lead: 61116911072 $13

The adapter lead is actually for the clutch switch, but it has the correct color wires and the plug is the correct type. You might be able to make something work, but getting the adapter lead makes it easy. I ended up buying a whole z4 steering clock spring with all switches on eBay for $75.

Onward to the DIY...

Unplug the battery, just in case. You wouldn't want the airbag to go off while you're working. Pull off the bottom trim under the steering wheel, you just press in the locking pin on the two plastic holder plugs and then pull the trim down.

The Z4 steering wheel clock spring combo switches (the thing that spins and passes through all the wires and the turn signal & wipers attach) is the same between the e46 and e85. So this means that the z4 cruise switch just slides into place. You can see where the cruise stalk slides in on the bracket on the lower right of this picture.

Here is another picture of the cruise stalk on a spare clock spring I have

Now you have to clearance the lower steering trim so the cruise stalk fits. The Z4 trim is completely different and won't work in our cars so you need to modify the stock trim. I used a Dremel and a sharp hobby knife to cut the side and remove part of the metal base.

Left is my modified one, right is unmodified

Here is what it looks like with the modified lower trim and some broken top trim I had in a box. I used my spare steering clock spring to test fit. Must say it's a lot easier to clearance the lower trim having these pieces available off the car to test fit.

Once you have it fitting nice there is a bit of wiring to do. I moved the wires around in the adapter lead plug so the colors matched the wiring on the harness plug I was tapping into. Just made it easier to not make a mistake when doing the wiring. The cruise stalk only uses 3 of the 4 wires, so you can remove pin 3.

I ended up unpinning the blue/blk signal wire and moving the wire into the cruise stalk plug, but the other wires you'll have to tap into.

E46 clock spring harness side -> cruise stalk plug
    pin 7 brn/blk. -> pin 1 ground (tap into)
    pin 8 blu/blk -> pin 2 signal (unpin and move)
    pin 10 violet/yel -> pin 4 +12v (tap into)

All Finished

Plug everything back in

Put on your lower trim

Plug back in your battery and turn your car on, test the switch. Just push up or down to enable cruise, you should see a light come on the dash

Enjoy the cruuiiiseeeee
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

This is the SHIT. Only thing I miss from my button delete trim is cruise control. Going to be doing this for sure, thanks for the awesome DIY!!!

Comment

This is very cool. Can the zcp button be set up to turn the traction on/off on a non-zcp car?

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
        This is very cool. Can the zcp button be set up to turn the traction on/off on a non-zcp car?
        I think so, although I haven't tried yet. Right now that button does nothing. I assume since the button on the center console is just a button I can wire it to the steering wheel IO button to do the same thing. Once I figure it out I'll be sure to post it here.

Comment

If you don't like steering wheel buttons, this will completely remove it:

Comment

Thats great work! I love cruise control, the lack of it actually kept me from buying a ZCP. Sounds small but its a must have for me. Way to solve a problem

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
              Only if you retrofit a CSL/ZCP MK60 DSC module.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                If you don't like steering wheel buttons, this will completely remove it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-Ste...1/114427781235
                You could combine that with a e39 high intensity washer stalk to still be able to activate MTM and have no buttons at all

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	2876
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	80251

(I have that for MTM activation, but I like the steering wheel controls, so not doing button delete)_

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

^I’ve got that as well on my ZCP car ... came that way from the PO since he also added the multifunction controls back in. Very tempted to go back to a fuzzy wheel and single MTM button. Cruise control functionality mod in this thread is excellent, but pretty sure I personally have used CC like twice ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Only if you retrofit a CSL/ZCP MK60 DSC module.
                    I'd think you could wire the IO button on the steering wheel to do the same thing as the button on the center console though, yeah? Both are just buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I'd think you could wire the IO button on the steering wheel to do the same thing as the button on the center console though, yeah? Both are just buttons.
                      Yeah, but the pin doesn’t do anything unless it’s an 817.3.

I had the button wired up for a long while with no 817.3– didn’t do anything. No change in wiring, 817.3 swapped in, it works.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

This is awesome! I really missed my e36 CC stalk. Nowadays I don't even use CC, but this is still really cool. And obviously the perfect way to do it, they even have the same (as my '94 e36 was) in my 2012 E82.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have a ZCP and miss having cruise control on long drives. Would love to do this if it’s confirmed that ZCPs can have this working properly.
                          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                            I have a ZCP and miss having cruise control on long drives. Would love to do this if it’s confirmed that ZCPs can have this working properly.
                            You can reenable cruise control on a CSL DME, so maybe you can do the same on a ZCP. Might have to route some wires though.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Great write up and excellent find. FYI the part number for the "no-button" upper steering wheel trim is: 61 31 8 383 366

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X