Front strut brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    I think making the front end stronger is a good thing. Most of all to keep the strut towers intact. I do want to tie the strut towers into the roll cage until then I am sticking with the OE bar.

I made a CF front reinforcement plate to add some stiffness to the front end. It is much stiffer than the aluminum part.

Is it noticeably stiffer? Does it make a difference? Hard to say. Haven't had enough time testing it. Not even sure how to quantify the result to determine if its better. Maybe I should get less wear on the outer edges of the tire? Let me know if anyone has ideas. For now...I made it, I'm proud if it, and I'm running it!

It is 2.5lbs lighter that the stock part. It is 9 layers of carbon. Might be able to be more strategic on how I lay up the part and use a core and save maybe 1 lb.
    This is awesome! Any plans to make more?

Also, for strut bar, I'm trying to look for one with length adjustment though most are multipiece. Do people feel the stiffness of the multibar setups is worth losing preload adjustment?

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
      Modified my Rogue Engineering brace (great product by the way) to be able to remove the center section. Cut the brace (photo 1), the purchased tubing connectors (photo 2)
      and spliced them in with tig welding. Final photo is a quick spray paint to get me through Summer. Over the Winter I'll pretty up the welds, media blast the entire bar and have it re-powder coated.

Feff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Cuts.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	172482

Name:	Tubing Connectors.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	172481

Name:	Strut Brace Redesign.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	172480
      Links to the tubing connectors you used?

Comment

Originally posted by TeddybearCup View Post
        This is awesome! Any plans to make more?
        I can make more since I have a mold. I do plan to experiment in the future to see if I can make the part lighter while retaining the same stiffness. So I might be selling the one on my car at some point.

The problem with offering this on a per order basis to others is very few if anyone is going to pay $1000 for one. Anything less isn't worth my time.

Comment

True, I don't see anyone buying those for an unknown gain.

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I believe that pic belongs to Brandon of dmg.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

they have interlocking and non-interlocking. the ones in the photo look like non-interlocking versions. They're called tube clamps
            "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
            ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

I can make more since I have a mold. I do plan to experiment in the future to see if I can make the part lighter while retaining the same stiffness. So I might be selling the one on my car at some point.

The problem with offering this on a per order basis to others is very few if anyone is going to pay $1000 for one. Anything less isn't worth my time.
              The price of resin is insane right now. Prolly $100 worth of just that alone huh? I might be willing to pay to rent the mold :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

The price of resin is insane right now. Prolly $100 worth of just that alone huh? I might be willing to pay to rent the mold :-)
                The materials make up about 30% of the cost, not too bad. Its finding certain things because different suppliers will be out of stock on different things at different times. I had to wait 3 weeks to get the right bag tape.

The cost is mostly the time involved in laying up 7 layers of carbon, getting the consumables on and most of all getting the bag leak free. Then final trimming the part wearing coveralls and a respirator outside in the summer. That doesn't even include the time and materials to make the mold. I'd probably sell the mold for about the same - $1000. Quite frankly, if it was easy someone would have done this already a long time ago.

Case in point, no one really wants to pay the price for what it takes to make one. Really...$1000 is cheap for this plate when you compare what a CF roof goes for and those are easier to make. This is why I'm not offering to make parts for sale.

Back to the original topic...
                Last edited by bigjae46; 06-20-2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

The materials make up about 30% of the cost, not too bad. Its finding certain things because different suppliers will be out of stock on different things at different times. I had to wait 3 weeks to get the right bag tape.

The cost is mostly the time involved in laying up 7 layers of carbon, getting the consumables on and most of all getting the bag leak free. Then final trimming the part wearing coveralls and a respirator outside in the summer. That doesn't even include the time and materials to make the mold. I'd probably sell the mold for about the same - $1000. Quite frankly, if it was easy someone would have done this already a long time ago.

Case in point, no one really wants to pay the price for what it takes to make one. Really...$1000 is cheap for this plate when you compare what a CF roof goes for and those are easier to make. This is why I'm not offering to make parts for sale.

Back to the original topic...
                  oh I completely get it. Please don’t take my comments as a complaint or criticism. I’ve made fiberglass pieces before and so I have somewhat of an idea what it takes. And I’ve never even done a vacuum bag so I can only imagine. This was a labor of love and it’s awesome. Kudos to you!

But yes, back to strut bars.

Comment

The smaller 1" for 0.120 wall tubing weld-in connector: https://www.kartek.com/parts/straigh...ll-tubing.html

Larger connector 1.25" with 0.120 wall tubing: https://www.kartek.com/parts/straigh...ll-tubing.html

We were at Autobahn Country Club yesterday and the modified Rogue Engineering strut brace performed flawlessly.

Feff

MVP Track Time

Comment

Name:	20220519_131609.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	172969 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_131626.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	172970
                      It's not an M3 but a customer came in with a Racing Dynamics strut bar and this a warning against it. Most people that you get what you pay for and here's what not to buy.

I prefer stock strut bar over my Dinan one. Looks much better and it easier to remove and install. They accomplish the same exact thing.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalFlushness View Post
                        Anybody have any input on how much of a difference a strut bar makes on our vehicles? I have an early 01 pre LCI with no strut bar and have been eying the Rogue Engineering bar as my car starts too see more action.
                        I have a pre facelift (2002) which came from factory without a strut brace. I ordered a genuine BMW strut brace a while ago, but had to wait due to it being on a prolonged backorder from Munich. However it eventually came last month and I got it fitted a couple of weeks ago.

Having driven the car for 4 years without the strut brace I can confirm that there is a difference. When driving at normal speeds you do not notice it, but when cornering at speed the car is flatter. It’s not a night and day difference, (nor is it a placebo), but a difference nonetheless.

I was expecting a bit of understeer however haven’t noticed any. Putting the car on track next month so will have a better idea but will vouch for the ‘upgrade’ if you have the extra cash and are considering retrofitting it.

Note the main reason I installed one is because I am running a Vincebar in the rear and so wanted to balance this with the strut brace in the front.
                        Last edited by R60BBA; 06-21-2022, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                          It's not an M3 but a customer came in with a Racing Dynamics strut bar and this a warning against it. Most people that you get what you pay for and here's what not to buy.
                          I’m not sure I see what’s so bad to warn against the RD brace from photo? Is it not keeping the towers the same distance from each other? True it’s a hinged brace, but it’s job is to tie the two front towers together.
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                            I’m not sure I see what’s so bad to warn against the RD brace from photo? Is it not keeping the towers the same distance from each other? True it’s a hinged brace, but it’s job is to tie the two front towers together.
                            Idk about the hinge but looks like the mounting plates are warping and pulling the strut mount nuts/studs in weird ways.

Comment

Originally posted by meowth View Post

Idk about the hinge but looks like the mounting plates are warping and pulling the strut mount nuts/studs in weird ways.
                              I had one of these RD braces on my 325 (about 20 years ago). Those plates are soft aluminum and are very easy to distort.
                              Having said that, it does confirm (in my mind) that these braces do help to some degree. If they weren't being loaded, they wouldn't bend.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

I had one of these RD braces on my 325 (about 20 years ago). Those plates are soft aluminum and are very easy to distort.
                                Having said that, it does confirm (in my mind) that these braces do help to some degree. If they weren't being loaded, they wouldn't bend.
                                Most modern BMWs are not allowed to be driven without the front reinforcements, especially the M vehicles. I was lifting a new 4 series and as soon as it left the ground, the whole front end flexed.

We don't need to see a mangled eBay strut brace to know they work, however, I agree it is good to see a living example of stress induced on them. This also means buy quality parts and not a garbage aluminum one. It's not an essential part to go high quality, just strongly recommended.
                                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                                X