CSL Diffuser options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Matt!

Also I reread my post from yesterday. If it came across as short, I was cooking dinner while posting on NAM3. Unintentional.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

What's the catch with this Bimmerworld CSL diffuser? https://www.bimmerworld.com/CSL-Styl...er-E46-M3.html Is this significantly different or lesser quality than the happybuyitnow/euromotorsport option?

Comment

have to admit as much as I don't want to buy cheap junk, it seems like the high $ diffusers are not without issue. so why not just buy the ones from Turner or BW?
        Last edited by tnord; 11-11-2023, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post
          have to admit as much as I don't want to buy cheap junk, it seems like the high $ diffusers are not without issue. so why not just buy the ones from Turner or BW?
          Old cars have old car problems - they aren't straight anymore and brackets are busted. It's easy to point at diffusers without looking at broader issues. This post was a prime example of pointing at the wrong things.

Take the bumper off, get the brackets straight, glue them again and you'll have a proper fitment with a quality diffuser, including the Genuine BMW units, this one and this one.

Defaulting to a lesser diffuser has the same problem it ever has: they look like crap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	241694
          Last edited by Epoustouflant; 11-12-2023, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
            Defaulting to a lesser diffuser has the same problem it ever has: they look like crap.
            While I generally agree with this and nearly always subscribe to the "buy cheap, buy twice" mantra, I think we've also proven that lesser quality beauty covers (aka, diffusers) can look great.

Albeit, it may take some work to get it there (zip ties anyone?). Also as with anything, if the foundation is crap...

Comment

I think certain folks opinions are bound to be influenced by what makes them money.
              Last edited by discoelk; 11-12-2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
                I think certain folks opinions are bound to be influenced by what makes them money.
                I first spend money before I make money - guys like you always forget that distinction. If it isn't aligned with what I want for my car first and foremost, I won't offer it.

As a reminder, I said this:

They look like crap.
                None of the CSL replicas are 1:1 designs with the ridge. To some, it has value - it was the intention in creating the master molds. See below for examples and differences.

If a 1:1 replica does not have value to you, then buying 200$ eBay is impossible to beat, and anything can fit well with enough time and money.

As long as owners have the knowledge to take the decision that fits their goal and budget, I consider it a success. He knows, he got it to fit well, he's happy - that's what matters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-09-22 at 12.08.02 PM (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	241730
                Click image for larger version  Name:	REC00093.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	241732

Alibaba Diffuser:

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	241736
                Last edited by Epoustouflant; 11-12-2023, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Well that has to do more with how detailed the buyer is with looks. Sure some of those aftermarket can look good. But there’s a bit more to this than just a fitment replica. Many of these China replicas aren’t true OEM CSL part copies. They lack the curve and shape at the bottom edge of the CF by the tips(they’re more roundish). Also having seeing this first hand, the CF weave is rather poor. The CF pattern doesn’t match up with another sheet they used, also and can look twisted going around curves. Then they might only have 2x2 weave and not 1x1(OEM). Lastly I’ve seen some look good for like 2-4 years then the clear of CF starts to haze or crack. For a short term owner this isn’t much an issue.
                  Having said that many might say it’s low and some of these things can’t really be seen. And are fine with that. So for these people they are fine with these deficits. Which each person weighs pros/cons vs pricing. Others it might bother them and are detailed oriented and willing to pay more.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

^^ agree with everything old///MFanatic said.

Before this turns into pissing contest / EuroConnex slam, let me add to my original point.

My counterpoint to Matt's comment (in my prior post) is that SOME of the beauty covers can look good. The happybuyitnow ones are of decent quality (mostly), but have the shitty metal tabs that most of the rest of the knock-off have. However, with a little extra work, they can look pretty great. I think the one I got is in that camp, but I have seen some Alibaba covers that look absolutely terrible. So YMMV.

My stance on these beauty covers will remain the same. These things are nearly 0% functional and nearly 100% cosmetic. Being so low to the ground, as long as it looks great and can be made to fit great with some effort, I'm a happy guy. For me, this is one of those products I simply cannot justify spending $2k or more on. For others, I completely see where plunking down that kind of cheddar makes sense and I'll not fault anyone for it. There are plenty of other products EuroConnex curate that I would happily plunk down $2k for though.​ It's a matter of what's important to you and what isn't.

Matt works hard to get this group of enthusiasts really interesting products that would otherwise not exist. Or he gets deep discounts via coordinated group buys. I think he does good by the community and am happy he's here and stoked he's curating unique stuff for us. If he makes a buck or two in the process, great.

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                      Well that has to do more with how detailed the buyer is with looks. Sure some of those aftermarket can look good. But there’s a bit more to this than just a fitment replica. Many of these China replicas aren’t true OEM CSL part copies. They lack the curve and shape at the bottom edge of the CF by the tips(they’re more roundish). Also having seeing this first hand, the CF weave is rather poor. The CF pattern doesn’t match up with another sheet they used, also and can look twisted going around curves. Then they might only have 2x2 weave and not 1x1(OEM). Lastly I’ve seen some look good for like 2-4 years then the clear of CF starts to haze or crack. For a short term owner this isn’t much an issue.
                      Having said that many might say it’s low and some of these things can’t really be seen. And are fine with that. So for these people they are fine with these deficits. Which each person weighs pros/cons vs pricing. Others it might bother them and are detailed oriented and willing to pay more.
                      I'm in on paying for quality 1x1 weave, clear that won't yellow, a part that fits, not china, and a 1:1 replica part. I'm not a short term owner, I bought this car in 2010. But do we know which option meets all of these conditions?
                      Last edited by tnord; 11-12-2023, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Reach out to Matt. That's really the only one that meets all your criteria. They seem to be really nice pieces.

Comment

I'm in on paying for quality 1x1 weave, clear that won't yellow, a part that fits, not china, and a 1:1 replica part. I'm not a short term owner, I bought this car in 2010. But do we know which option meets all of these conditions?
                          I've ordered from this seller and they are top notch in terms of quality. I would imagine this would probably fit the bill.

Bmw p/n: 51127897863. BMW E46 M3 CSL. BMW E46 M3. ORIGINAL BMW REAL CARBON COVER FOR REAR BUMPER FOR. MADE IN GERMANY.

/// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

I've ordered from this seller and they are top notch in terms of quality. I would imagine this would probably fit the bill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22560259074...UAAOSwKzFketmy

This is the Genuine BMW unit, expensive, and not without issues. I can source it as well for those that want the Genuine BMW factor.

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                            Well that has to do more with how detailed the buyer is with looks. Sure some of those aftermarket can look good. But there’s a bit more to this than just a fitment replica. Many of these China replicas aren’t true OEM CSL part copies. They lack the curve and shape at the bottom edge of the CF by the tips(they’re more roundish).

Also having seeing this first hand, the CF weave is rather poor. The CF pattern doesn’t match up with another sheet they used, also and can look twisted going around curves. Then they might only have 2x2 weave and not 1x1(OEM). Lastly I’ve seen some look good for like 2-4 years then the clear of CF starts to haze or crack. For a short term owner this isn’t much an issue.
                            Agreed on all the above - thanks for sharing.

As long as people know what they're buying into, I will never judge anyone's decision making on builds.

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                            ^^ agree with everything old///MFanatic said.

Before this turns into pissing contest / EuroConnex slam, let me add to my original point.
                            It had been a while

I do have two observations to make:
                            1. The not-so-subtle insinuations are usually from those that I have not dealt with.
                            2. Facebook Groups and Forums have much less participation from brands and shops compared to yesteryears. This forum is notoriously free for "sponsors" if they provide value - a great policy.
                            My stance on these beauty covers will remain the same. These things are nearly 0% functional and nearly 100% cosmetic. Being so low to the ground, as long as it looks great and can be made to fit great with some effort, I'm a happy guy. For me, this is one of those products I simply cannot justify spending $2k or more on. For others, I completely see where plunking down that kind of cheddar makes sense and I'll not fault anyone for it. There are plenty of other products EuroConnex curate that I would happily plunk down $2k for though.​ It's a matter of what's important to you and what isn't.
                            As we exchanged via DMs - I can't ever be judgemental of any conscious decision making.

Going though the stupidly expensive process of fully restoring, color changing and upgrading my E46 to CSL spec, I can only attest that there is no perfect build. Compromises have to be made, and anyone taking on this endeavour understand the pain that it is to know where exactly they were made - but it's nothing compared to the pain suffered by our wallets.

If he makes a buck or two in the process, great.
                            There is something about some car communities that make them allergic to anyone doing well for themselves - or the perception of it, that E46 is killing me!

Value should generate profit. Profit should bring in competition. Competition should move us forward. I can only be glad companies like MileEnd are getting back in the game and Vorsteiner as well. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Matt works hard to get this group of enthusiasts really interesting products that would otherwise not exist. Or he gets deep discounts via coordinated group buys. I think he does good by the community and am happy he's here and stoked he's curating unique stuff for us.
                            That means a lot as you know - I appreciate you for taking the time to make that statement, noise is loud.​

From the variables you laid out, the best options are the 3x I previously listed.
                            1. This one is most popular because it strikes a balance between price, 1:1 replica, pre-preg carbon work, and paint service. It's not been without faults in terms of paint quality and the ready-to-spray primer and professional fitment by a body shop is my recommendation for those that want it perfect. The tabs may some slight trimming to clip in depending on the condition of your brackets.
                            2. This one has the best carbon work around but there is no paint service, nor primer. I can import these duty free from Germany and get them painted at the shop before sent out to you. I usually ask for your gas cap to be sent over for a perfect paint match considering these cars are old.
                            3. The Genuine BMW unit is most expensive and has the "original" factor going for it. Carbon work is great and clear coat is hit or miss.
                            I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out via DM here, on IG or via the site. I can take you the options in further details.
                            Last edited by Epoustouflant; 11-12-2023, 06:10 PM.

Comment

it does help, thank you. It seems like the things I'm looking for would direct me to one of your options, thanks for the effort to get them created and offered.

Comment

Picked up a Vorsteiner for fair price from enthusiast who sold his E46. When I get painted and installed will report on fit. Click image for larger version  Name:	7335 BMV.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	262361
                                Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Working...
                                X