Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
    your hands have less distance to travel from the wheel, letting you initiate your shifts sooner. the obvious drawback being that your shifts are slightly longer due to the throw. The ZHP knob is probably best for straight line performance, but if you're in the type of situation where you're putting in steering input and changing gears at the same time, I'd prefer the broomstick
    This. Longer shift knobs are more comfortable when tracking. Also easier on the wrist. I had a ZHP weighted knob and switched back to the OE knob.

Comment

If I could really have my idea shifter, it would be a broomstick height version of the leather/alu shifter in the Z8, illuminated, in Imola leather, in stock broomstick knob weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ead3a866396c4b3ab35a80eb3205d9ca.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	89132

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I prefer the feel of the broomstick shift knob on the track. More positive engagement and closer to the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
        [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
          Perfect timing, I just wanted to make a similar thread.

When I did my SMG delete, I went with the AutoX 25% and ZHP knob just because those two seemed to be everyone’s favorites at the time, and I do like the looks of the ZHP knob, but that’s secondary to feel. Because my car was originally SMG I have no other reference point.

I’m not unhappy with my setup, but it is notchier than I’d like, and admittedly when the car is cold I’d go as far as to say it feels bad – especially going into second. Then again maybe driving my dad’s 981 Spyder has just ruined all other transmissions for me.

A few people in this thread addressed the additional leverage the broomstick offers, and I guess I was wondering if that additional height/leverage might help smooth out some of the notchiness. I’d love it if anyone else that has had both these setups that can compare ZHP vs stock notchiness/leverage, since I'm definitely not interested in swapping out the shifter for the time.

Hi there,

I was in a similar situation as yourself. I got the AS 30% (this was before AutoX 25% was available) and a ZHP knob. Cold weather / car made it very difficult to shift into first and second gears. I didn't have the original broom stick just like you, but I don't think it would be much better with 30% reduction because it wasn't weighted. I decided to get a weighted broomstick knob (P/N 25117896884) and try it out.

WOW! I honestly can't believe it took me years to do this. It's like a new transmission. First and second gears are so perfect, they feel like all the other gears now, even in very cold weather. Furthermore, the shifter being weighted yet taller makes it 'fall' into gears as you complete the shift. To me, the throws don't feel any longer and this knob is actually more ergonomic because it just fits in the hand so much better. This feels like a 'stick' whereas the ZHP knob felt like a 'ball', it never felt quite right to me to be honest. Finally, the height of the knob is perfect with respect to the position of steering wheel and height of the armrest. It makes perfect sense that the Motorsport team chose the taller knob over the small ZHP piece. There's a ZHP knob hype online but I think it's overrated and people who own one may like the way it looks but they clearly don't realize that the knob is not ideal at all, at least for any E46 car. I say this irrespective of the AS shifter kit, simply due to how short it its with respect to steering wheel position and arm rest height. I personally feel that its shape is also not great for shifting compared to the broom stick, but this can be a matter of preference.

I have an automatic sedan which I plan on converting to a ZF 6MT from a ZHP car down the line, and I will most definitely not be using a ZHP knob but will get a weighted broom stick instead.

Try this knob - you will not regret it. Good luck!
          Last edited by PetrolM3; 03-08-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
            Finally, the height of the knob is perfect with respect to the position of steering wheel and height of the armrest. There's a ZHP knob hype..but they clearly don't realize that the knob is not ideal at all, at least for any E46 car. ..simply due to how short it its with respect to steering wheel position and arm rest height.
            Since the seats are both height and tilt adjustable and more importantly the steering wheel is height and telescoping adjustable. Sorry but I can’t help but see this as a flawed theory for covering everyone.

Not to mention how differing body types change this as well.
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 03-08-2021, 10:24 AM.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
              Try this knob - you will not regret it. Good luck!
              Thanks for the opinion. Sounds like I will have to try it, even if it's just because it's so different that you can't make a decision without trying both.

Does anybody know (or have a part no. for) if the the weighted broomstick can be bought with a boot all-in-one like the OE broomstick?
              2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                Since the seats are both height and tilt adjustable and more importantly the steering wheel is height and telescoping adjustable. Sorry but I can’t help but see this as a flawed theory for covering everyone.

Not to mention how differing body types change this as well.
                I guess you're right in that different body types would require different geometry but I'm average height and build (5'11, 175lb) and when I optimize seat and steering adjustments for me, the arm rest is always in the way of shifting the ZHP knob. I can only assume that majority of people would have the same issue with the armrest in place but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post

Thanks for the opinion. Sounds like I will have to try it, even if it's just because it's so different that you can't make a decision without trying both.

Does anybody know (or have a part no. for) if the the weighted broomstick can be bought with a boot all-in-one like the OE broomstick?
                  There's no such thing. You'd need to get a ZHP boot or modify the OE boot which is very simple and easy...

Comment

Slight revival of an older thread. I was wondering if anyone knew of a weighted knob like this one (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ob-25117896884) but that is illuminated. I prefer the taller one than the satin ring zhp one. I see some folks throwing on f10 ones (https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...tom-shift-boot), but the height of those to my eye looks to be the same as the shorter satin ring zhp one. Am I wrong about that? I'm basically just looking for a taller, weighted, illuminated option. If not, back to the original broomstick I guess.

Comment

There is no knob that is stock height/shape, M performance weight, but also illuminated. M performance doesn't come with boot, factory one does. I don't quite understand the facination with illumination - does one forget the gear pattern? We also have little orange overhead lights that shine down and make the non-lit mperformance knob sparkle a little - if that placates sufficiently.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I like this particular shift knob, but I drive the entirely wrong car; that’s the problem with having champagne taste, but only beer money… 🙄

Click image for larger version

Name:	B58C7756-D27F-4BAC-AD1E-978B51D0085C.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	205271

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          There is no knob that is stock height/shape, M performance weight, but also illuminated. M performance doesn't come with boot, factory one does. I don't quite understand the facination with illumination - does one forget the gear pattern? We also have little orange overhead lights that shine down and make the non-lit mperformance knob sparkle a little - if that placates sufficiently.
                          Thanks. And hah, as mentioned many times in this thread - it's about personal preference. If what I was hoping for existed, that'd be my preference. But since it's not - gonna for sure give the M taller weighted one a shot because I have to see what all the fuss is about over the original broomstick. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post
                            Thanks. And hah, as mentioned many times in this thread - it's about personal preference. If what I was hoping for existed, that'd be my preference.
                            Well it’s amusing reading the negativity about the lighted one from a few. I agree with you about preference of the styling and why you’d hoped to retain the lighted M knob feature. It being lighted is unique to the E46 M3.
                            Then the argument that, does one forget the shift pattern and need it lighted at night? No, but with that logic why have the shift pattern on it at all? Or when it’s daytime the shift plaque can be seen right, so is it a waste to see it lighted at night? No.
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

the improvement in aesthetics of the F10 m5 knob outweighs the better in-hand feel of the broomstick (imo)

as far as height goes, my workaround was to ask AS to custom build a SSK that was 1" taller than what they usually make so i could run the F10 knob at close to stock height

to wade into the illumination debate . . . it came stock from the factory like that, it gives the interior a "premium" feel, and the minimal gain it took to configure it like that (wiring) isn't deleted when you run an non-illumintaed knob, so it's worth a a little bit of consideration when you're shopping for new knobs

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                                Well it’s amusing reading the negativity about the lighted one from a few. I agree with you about preference of the styling and why you’d hoped to retain the lighted M knob feature. It being lighted is unique to the E46 M3.
                                Then the argument that, does one forget the shift pattern and need it lighted at night? No, but with that logic why have the shift pattern on it at all? Or when it’s daytime the shift plaque can be seen right, so is it a waste to see it lighted at night? No.
                                BMW knew that many people would be enchanted by shiny objects and ///M insignia. That's why it was proliferated in later M & M sport models. For share holders, ultimately.

To you and the poster above me, you guys have valid opinions, of course. I'm simply pointing out that one knob ACTUALLY makes the car better versus the knob that has an aspect about it that makes it, in your opinion, prettier.

That's one of the big divides - form or function? I'm merely pointing it out. By getting your feathers ruffled, are you admitting that you perceive the favoring of form over function to be a negative? That's up to you. I do, but, now, that's just my opinion.

"improvement in aesthetics outweighs better in-hand-feel" ? (not to mention shift action) I mean how can you take yourself seriously as a manual driver?
                                Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-13-2023, 01:43 PM.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X