• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x new diffusers! There was 1x extra with a unique twist
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
      If you want it fixed, we can start the process. Let me know!
      Sure. What’s the process like?
      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

Sure. What’s the process like?
        Email me detailed pictures and details of the issues you're issuing. There are a few ways to resolve it.

Comment

⚠️ Alert: Matt aka Epoustouflant has gone completely silent for customers who already bought this item. I paid back in September and despite hearing "early January", he has ghosted me on email after 4X tries. Let's see if this works. Where's my diffuser Matt?
          2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
          ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
            ⚠️ Alert: Matt aka Epoustouflant has gone completely silent for customers who already bought this item. I paid back in September and despite hearing "early January", he has ghosted me on email after 4X tries. Let's see if this works. Where's my diffuser Matt?
            There's no conspiracy. There are frequent updates on production and delivery of these diffusers.

You did skip the part about threats of "council" while someone's on vacation like 99% of the world, and recovering from concussion.

I wasn't aware you posted this here. I can't meet your expectations: the refund is coming your way this week.

Edit: Refund completed by René as of Jan 16th.

Thanks,
            Matt
            Last edited by Epoustouflant; 01-16-2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

As promised by René, production is up to 3x per week.

These 3x diffusers showcase Alpine White (1x1), Titan Silver (1x1) and another ready-to-spray primer’ed (1x1).

I’m glad to see the primer’ed version more frequently!

Individual orders are available here. ETA is March as of now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Recently installed one of these (pre painted) diffusers, and am sharing my experience.

For frame of reference, these cost ~$1000

Box/packaging was amateur, though effective

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230120_123018.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	207880

Only 1 pinhole on this piece, but for the price paid, I still find it unacceptable

Name:	20230120_123630.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	207878

A couple of little issues with the bottom carbon portion (1st clear coat run, 2nd weave/layers), but luckily not very visible if the exh tips are blocking this area

Name:	20230120_123743.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	207882

Name:	20230120_123658.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	207879

The main, visible portion of CF looks great

Name:	20230120_123705.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	207881

This is the most disturbing part. Now I can't say for certain that the piece didn't already have this issue when I unboxed it, but I doubt it. I don't remember it, but I also can't see in any of the other photos. This piece was not dropped, and no tools were used. I literally was pushing it into place. Even stranger, and a compliment I was going to make about the install, is that the piece, with factory like tabs, is very easy to install - very factory like. Despite that, upon pushing this portion in, the paint cracked. I can't tell if there was an adhesion issue, but I can tell that the paint is very very thin. Very disappointing that the paint could simply split like this with such moderate pressure applied (both by my fingers and by the rectangle that the tab inserts into *the split happened as it was being inserted). You can also see a hairline crack perpendicular to the vertical crack, at the bottom. I'm confused how the paint could crack in this fashion with such moderate pressue as I mentioned earlier.

Name:	20230120_125553.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	207883

All of the holes on the underside lined up except for the farthest passenger side. I had to carefully make a semi-circle here for the plastic rivet to fit, not a big deal tbh, but a little concerning knowing how fragile the paint was up top at the tab. I filed only upwards so that the paint wouldn't peel downwards.

Name:	20230120_130236.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	207884

If I let the diffuser sit outwards a bit, the hole lined up well enough, but then this was the resulting fitment:

Name:	20230120_130423.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	207886

This was due to the tab being a little too long. Perhaps Rene can rework his product so that the tab grabs a little sooner to pull the diffuser snug to bumper cover?
                This tab:

Name:	20230120_130600.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	207885

I don't mean to completely disparage the part, it's obviously good quality in construction and overall fitment/install. Not concerned at all with the paint match- you can't expect a great match; it's perfectly fine, but there wasn't enough orange peel (sanded too low or not enough to begin with; makes sense seeing how thin the paint was - the clear coat is even thinner) to match factory - though how many people can even notice that?

Once installed, it looks very good. That crack pictured above is actually very small, and can't be seen from more than a few feet away.

Name:	20230120_125736.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	207889

Name:	20230120_125806.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	207887

Name:	20230120_125759.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	207888

The corner gap is a little better on the pass side than driver, but neither is as bad as earlier products pictured in this thread. Also, the paint line between CF was very good, better than other pictured earlier ITT.

Name:	Nick (2).jpg
Views:	307
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	207891 Click image for larger version

Name:	Nick (1).jpg
Views:	320
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	207890

In closing, I don't rate it much better than the taiwanese (AGT styling) one I got from happybuyitnow167 on ebay years ago (also pre-painted) for $275, but this one installs better/faster and the CF/paint line is better. Mine is easier to get perfect fitment because you can use its metal tangs to pull it in tighter, and it didn't have any pinoles or clearcoat issues. Now, of course our money has been so diluted lately that you're just not going to be able to buy a part like this for anywhere near $200-300 anymore, but I don't know about $1000.

For further reference, I also installed a MileEndComposits CSL diffsuer (JC in Canada) on member Good's car, and it was significantly better than both my ebay diffuser and this GB piece, but its cost, adjusted for inflation, was probably also fairly high like $800-1k (bought pre Covid).

Most SGT diffusers (and other parts like trunk) are pretty poor, but member ImolaM3's Tiag SGT diffuser is 9/10 somehow. He got lucky. Last I heard, you can't get a MileEnd piece anymore, or for a while you couldn't, and even now it's difficult. Point is, it's hard to get a good CSL diffuser, especially nowadays, so it's a shame that Rene's piece isn't better - hopefully he keeps improving it. 8/10 on its own, but less considering cost.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Sorry to hear about the paint cracks.

Many of your concerns are misconceptions, misunderstandings and offset expectations from the realities of paint matched parts on a 20 year old car. I touched on these concerns previously with the intention to set up expectations for any diffuser from any brand in journal entries including here.​

I had already noticed your YouTube video thinking you'd reach out - I unfortunately couldn't associate your username with your order. I truly wish you had reached out, René has corrected all paint defects, either local to you or back in Germany.

I'll argue your best intentions about not wanting to disparage a product.

Here's the framework under which the paint match service is offered.

My 0.02$

I previously stated my opinion about the color match service in my unboxing impressions.

My opinion hasn't changed.
                  "1. If you are OCD, and know your car has been in an accident, resprayed or had aftermarket diffusers previously fitted, get the primer'ed version. Don't bother with DIY and drop this off at a body shop for paint & fitment.
                  2. If what you see here meets your goals (and your car wasn't due for the junkyard), get the color match option. It's less expensive, looks great, and is easily fitted."

You are a prime no 1 customer - and that's fine, I am too! Perfection has a price, and a 100$ color paint match service isn't it. It's costing 300-400$ to get the diffuser redone as I'm changing the color anyways.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC0720.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.7 KB ID:	207927

See below for my issue-specific answers.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  Recently installed one of these (pre painted) diffusers, and am sharing my experience.

For frame of reference, these cost ~$1000

Box/packaging was amateur, though effective

Only 1 pinhole on this piece, but for the price paid, I still find it unacceptable

A couple of little issues with the bottom carbon portion (1st clear coat run, 2nd weave/layers), but luckily not very visible if the exh tips are blocking this area

This is non-issue. The folds are to be expected on complex curvatures. He hides the folds of the different pre-preg layers out of sight specifically to avoid this.

The main, visible portion of CF looks great

Correct.

This is the most disturbing part. Now I can't say for certain that the piece didn't already have this issue when I unboxed it, but I doubt it. I don't remember it, but I also can't see in any of the other photos. This piece was not dropped, and no tools were used. I literally was pushing it into place. Even stranger, and a compliment I was going to make about the install, is that the piece, with factory like tabs, is very easy to install - very factory like. Despite that, upon pushing this portion in, the paint cracked. I can't tell if there was an adhesion issue, but I can tell that the paint is very very thin.

Paint is always thin. It bears no bearing on its quality for the most part. You pointed it further down in your review, I'll come back on that.

Very disappointing that the paint could simply split like this with such moderate pressure applied (both by my fingers and by the rectangle that the tab inserts into *the split happened as it was being inserted). You can also see a hairline crack perpendicular to the vertical crack, at the bottom. I'm confused how the paint could crack in this fashion with such moderate pressue as I mentioned earlier.

Clear coat cracks for a variety of reasons: poor preparation, misapplication, mis calculations on drying times and unfavourable conditions for outgassing not being abided, etc.

Being applied on a flexible material like carbon makes it worst: flex agents need to be added to compensante - making paint application more finicky.

All of the holes on the underside lined up except for the farthest passenger side. I had to carefully make a semi-circle here for the plastic rivet to fit, not a big deal tbh, but a little concerning knowing how fragile the paint was up top at the tab. I filed only upwards so that the paint wouldn't peel downwards.

The diffuser is designed by BMW to be fitted from the top tabs first and foremost.

It's why they made the bottom-corner holes slotted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.0 KB ID:	207919

If I let the diffuser sit outwards a bit, the hole lined up well enough, but then this was the resulting fitment:

This was due to the tab being a little too long. Perhaps Rene can rework his product so that the tab grabs a little sooner to pull the diffuser snug to bumper cover?

The tab is not too long. René paints the tabs to add some thickness to give you leeway in adjustments.

I had to file down the 2nd upper tab from the left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9609.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	207920

I don't mean to completely disparage the part, it's obviously good quality in construction and overall fitment/install.

Not concerned at all with the paint match- you can't expect a great match; it's perfectly fine, but there wasn't enough orange peel (sanded too low or not enough to begin with; makes sense seeing how thin the paint was - the clear coat is even thinner) to match factory - though how many people can even notice that?

This is a clear example of the misconceptions you have on how paint quality is evaluated.

We had already went through this you and I here. I also suggested a primer version back then.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  Age is not the issue. Age doesn't make (your original) paint darker. Silvergrey is very hard to match, then the problem is compounded by there being 3 versions of it. There are other factors still. That corner gap doesn't look right, no. The paint line looks better on that though.
                  Age does make a metallic silver appear darker. Flakes burn out over time. Silver flakes will turn brown-red.

If you want a perfect paint match to compensate for aging, the primer'ed option is available.

The corner gap is dictated by your corner bracket & tab + lower push pin. That section is slotted.

Feel free to zoom.

It's a point I've also written about here.

The diffuser's paint is what my paint should be.

The properly wet sanded & polished diffuser has a much higher gloss level. It allows far more light to reflect off PY's metallic which lightens the color in direct sun light.

I knew this, I still ordered the paint match to document this knowing full well we would re-do the diffuser with the upcoming complete paint & body restoration.
                  You're essentially complaining the finish is too good. I'm unsure how valid this is for a color paint matched part from overseas.

This can also indicate an uncomfortable truth: your car's been resprayed. Looking at your rear bumper - it appears to be sagging over OEM fitment at the rear fender line.

A considerable number of E46 M3s have been in accidents, resprayed, love tapped and played with.

I know this from personal experience: my car has a clean title and has been resprayed with every part still on the car. When we pulled the bumper for the current complete color change, here's what we found.

Most of the brackets holding the diffuser brackets were broken off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.0 KB ID:	207924
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	207926
                  We had to re-apply epoxy and will need to readjust fitment of the diffuser.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC0279.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.0 KB ID:	207925​​

Once installed, it looks very good.

Correct.

That crack pictured above is actually very small, and can't be seen from more than a few feet away.

The corner gap is a little better on the pass side than driver, but neither is as bad as earlier products pictured in this thread.

Also, the paint line between CF was very good, better than other pictured earlier ITT.

Correct.

In closing, I don't rate it much better than the taiwanese (AGT styling) one I got from happybuyitnow167 on ebay years ago (also pre-painted) for $275, but this one installs better/faster and the CF/paint line is better.

Mine is easier to get perfect fitment because you can use its metal tangs to pull it in tighter, and it didn't have any pinoles or clearcoat issues.

You can still do that - but then it's not an 1:1 rep anymore, and that's what owners wanted. Expectations were set up accordingly.

Now, of course our money has been so diluted lately that you're just not going to be able to buy a part like this for anywhere near $200-300 anymore, but I don't know about $1000.

For further reference, I also installed a MileEndComposits CSL diffsuer (JC in Canada) on member Good's car, and it was significantly better than both my ebay diffuser and this GB piece, but its cost, adjusted for inflation, was probably also fairly high like $800-1k (bought pre Covid).

MileEnd has no paint service.You installed a diffuser on another car.

This isn't a 1:1 comparaison.

No 2 cars are the same 20 years on - this diffuser has been the same across the 60x that were produced.

The only variations have been paint quality, and the car's condition.

The E46 is an old car with shoddy build quality in comparaison to modern standards. Yet even to this day, BMW M has body guys on the production line measure and adjust gaps across the car before it rolls out. Panel gaps on a diffuser are a game of millimetres across various brackets and adjustable slotted holes.

If you want perfection, you won't achieve on your own - professionals need to be involved.

Most SGT diffusers (and other parts like trunk) are pretty poor, but member ImolaM3's Tiag SGT diffuser is 9/10 somehow. He got lucky. Last I heard, you can't get a MileEnd piece anymore, or for a while you couldn't, and even now it's difficult. Point is, it's hard to get a good CSL diffuser, especially nowadays, so it's a shame that Rene's piece isn't better - hopefully he keeps improving it. 8/10 on its own, but less considering cost.

And that's where you make my point: the second unit ever delivered is to a member in this thread that previously had a SGT diffuser.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_36848.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.4 KB ID:	207923 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_36849.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	207922 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_36850.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	207921

His comments:

That color match looks better than expected. It's the truth, my buddy just bought a Status Gruppe one. He instantly regretted his purchase. He noticed it from 10 feet away.
                  For better or for worse, not a single car will fit the same.
                  Overall, my recommendation is the same it ever was - if anybody has expectations similar to yours, they should buy a primer version.

It's cheaper upfront, more expensive in the end - and you get a perfect paint match with perfect fitment by a professional body shop.​

You set up the framework to your argument that it was 1000$. Are you willing to pay 1,500$ + for perfection?

Only you can answer that.​

For your current situation, send me an email with the images and we can chat solutions.
                  Last edited by Epoustouflant; 03-01-2023, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Popcorn eating time 🍿

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                      Popcorn eating time 🍿
                      Yea, turns out he never bothered with really helping his friend yet kept his YouTube video up. That's all you need to know about his intentions.

Moving on: René is about to get on top of backorders and lead times be cut to 4-6 weeks!

You can spec yours here.

Some of the latest ones created out of the 80 + since this was launched a year ago. A member also posted his installed pictures here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 6.08.54 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.1 KB ID:	226221
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 6.08.54 AM (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.8 KB ID:	226222
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-05-24 at 6.08.53 AM (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	226223
                      Last edited by Epoustouflant; 07-23-2023, 08:00 PM.

Comment

The fitment on these look pretty legit. I would definitely get an unpainted version! The status Gruppe diffuser I have looks nothing like this one. The gaps at 3 o’ clock along the passenger side are wide enough to stick anything through.

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post
                          The fitment on these look pretty legit. I would definitely get an unpainted version! The status Gruppe diffuser I have looks nothing like this one. The gaps at 3 o’ clock along the passenger side are wide enough to stick anything through.
                          Here's another:

Name:	362284897_3590799531149220_1730395868333630877_n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	226317
                          Attached Files

Comment

2x new diffusers spec'ed with color match service.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-07-24 at 4.46.07 AM.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	226598

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-07-24 at 4.46.08 AM.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	226599

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-07-24 at 4.46.08 AM (1).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	226600

Comment

Can't wait to see my forged version
                              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                                Can't wait to see my forged version
                                A few pictures from years ago, on the previous mold without the ridge.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X