Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GB for SLON Workshop CF Rear bulkhead, which can (optionally) be a back seat delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
    Just curious, has anyone tried to remove structural bonding adhesive like this?
    You should go into it assuming it’s permanent.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

We have fold through vs non fold through statistics from BMW on e46 sedans:
      E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18000 nm/deg
      E46 Sedan (w folding seats) 13000 nm/deg

This recreates the same structure as the non fold through e46 sedans, so I see no reason to think it wouldn't have a similar result.

That said, the only way to prove it would be to stick a car on a chassis twister before and after and measure. That seems unlikely to happen.
      we are working on our own torsional rigidity stand right now. and i also have bought e46m3 chassis (yes, not the full car ahahaha) for all this testing, so it will be the first, what we will test and measure on it. it's about month or so to finish it.
      and of course, the wall is not the final product of this series. it's only begin - yeah, i think it's most effective per bucks, but anyway, we don't planning to stop.

Comment

I suppose if one didn’t care about being able to add in another one, you can cut it out and leave a rim of CF in place. Definitely would need to make sure you’re wearing appropriate PPE and clean up adequately when doing that

Comment

Yeah, I figured, but I looked up the TIS for CSL carbon roof removal and it states, "Adjust hot air dryer to 500 °C. Warm roof surface in area (1) to approx. 240 °C (object temperature)." It looks like it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Yeah, I figured, but I looked up the TIS for CSL carbon roof removal and it states, "Adjust hot air dryer to 500 °C. Warm roof surface in area (1) to approx. 240 °C (object temperature)." It looks like it is possible.
            But will the panel sustain any damage at those temps?
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

But will the panel sustain any damage at those temps?
              I did a quick search and carbon fiber panels are usually cured in an autoclave at 200C at 10bar.
              Last edited by Slideways; 02-02-2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

we are working on our own torsional rigidity stand right now. and i also have bought e46m3 chassis (yes, not the full car ahahaha) for all this testing, so it will be the first, what we will test and measure on it. it's about month or so to finish it.
                and of course, the wall is not the final product of this series. it's only begin - yeah, i think it's most effective per bucks, but anyway, we don't planning to stop.
                Interesting 🤔

I’m really curious what else is coming! The product in this GB is something I’ve been wanting for over a decade, but I only have one other idea for chassis stiffening (tying shock towers/brace into the firewall).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Interesting 🤔

I’m really curious what else is coming! The product in this GB is something I’ve been wanting for over a decade, but I only have one other idea for chassis stiffening (tying shock towers/brace into the firewall).
                  You might make me poor 😜

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post

CF roof also doesn't cost $4k to install.... more like $2.5k with supporting parts... or $2K if you buy karbonius and don't buy CSL roof rails (because Karbonius has clips for stock roof rails)
                    Tell me where you go for a CSL roof install. I'm apparently getting worked over, over here.

Cheapest I got quoted was 3k in labor. Hence why it's on the absolute bottom of the list.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Tell me where you go for a CSL roof install. I'm apparently getting worked over, over here.

Cheapest I got quoted was 3k in labor. Hence why it's on the absolute bottom of the list.
                      Where have you gotten quotes around here out of curiosity? I haven’t gotten any yet but it’s coming up on my to do list.

Comment

Joined looking forward to this
                        jeff

Comment

ABS Autobody in El Monte, CA is $1.5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                          Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                          Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                          Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                          Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                          Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Where have you gotten quotes around here out of curiosity? I haven’t gotten any yet but it’s coming up on my to do list.
                            Mike's in Malden, Sansossio's in Natick (I've known Phil for a decade but his work ain't cheap, plus he hates M3s lol) and European Automotive in Framingham.

It's not a commonly done mod in this area as it seems, so shops that don't do them often can charge more haha
                            2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Mike's in Malden, Sansossio's in Natick (I've known Phil for a decade but his work ain't cheap, plus he hates M3s lol) and European Automotive in Framingham.

It's not a commonly done mod in this area as it seems, so shops that don't do them often can charge more haha
                              Got it, thanks. Sublime Resto has done quite a few of them up in NH and is likely where I will go assuming their prices are on par or cheaper than your quoted numbers. He makes his own roofs actually and showed me around the shop when I’ve had work done there. Some serious high value projects in that place. Super busy though and hard to book time there.

/ off topic

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Got it, thanks. Sublime Resto has done quite a few of them up in NH and is likely where I will go assuming their prices are on par or cheaper than your quoted numbers. He makes his own roofs actually and showed me around the shop when I’ve had work done there. Some serious high value projects in that place. Super busy though and hard to book time there.

/ off topic
                                Sublime made and installed a good friend's CSL roof. They're not cheap at all. They use to build/still build most of Turner's cars lol
                                2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X