No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2002 Topaz 6MT Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very curious to learn if your car shocks you every time you get out and close the door with the dinamica inserts. Mine does..

Did you try the recaros back to back with the nogaros? It must be just my body but I find the speedsters to be much more supportive than the nogaros.
    Last edited by Bry5on; 11-23-2022, 06:24 AM.
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
      LMFAO!!!! That is awesome!!!

Which variant did you end up going with?
      Got the GRP with vinyl/dinamica. Considered the CF ones for a sec, but I just couldn't stomach the price increase. Excited about them!

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
      Very curious to learn if your car shocks you every time you get out and close the door with the dinamica inserts. Mine does..

Did you try the recaros back to back with the nogaros? It must be just my body but I find the speedsters to be much more supportive than the nogaros.
      I didn't try them back to back, but I did try them close enough together in time to compare them in my mind. I also think the sporsters feel a bit more snug, but I'm not a huge fan of the weight and the harness holes do not fit me at all, so went with the nogaros.

I honestly didn't even consider the getting shocked thing as a possibility lol. I'll let you know once I get them.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I forgot that you use harnesses, yeah that’s a deal breaker.

since I’ve got window frames on my door, I always close the door from the edge of the window frame and most of the time I get a nice little shock, even when I try using my elbow through a jacket It’s a bit weather dependent (warm and dry) as you might expect. Maybe if you close the door from the edge of the glass just above the door you’ll be in the clear. Normally I wouldn’t recommend closing the door via the glass but that might help if you see the same issue!
        ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Another picture heavy post coming up!

When I was running my MK60 harness through my interior, I accidentally broke the wireless charger I had previously installed. It had always been quite a bit slow to charge my phone (measured it at about 1W), so I decided to take the opportunity and upgrade it. And since I was already doing that, I decided to redo the install as well.

Previously, I had used some piggyback spade terminals to grab 12V from the cigarette lighter. This then ran to a 12V socket, to a 5V USB charger and out to the wireless charging board. Since this was wired to the cigarette lighter, the thing would get power all the time, so I also wired a switch in to turn it off when I would be parking the car for longer periods of time. Not very elegant, but it did work. Here's a pic of the previous setup:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	195310

In that pic you can also see a cut wire spliced into the red one. This is for the constant power required by my dashcam for parked recording. Since this was all going away, I decided to redo the dashcam install as well.

The dashcam also requires switched 12V and GND to run, but I had grabbed those from the homelink up in the headliner. Instead of tapping or cutting into the wires, I had opened up the unit and soldered two wires to the power inputs:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	195311
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	195312

I was still going to be running a wire up from the center console area, so I went ahead and desoldered those.

With all this removed, I had to find a new source of power. The eject box wiring is present on my car (I think all US cars got this?), so I decided to tap into that. TIS told me there were multiple sources of 12V in the connector, but wasn't super helpful at helping me identify which were constant and which were switched. I poked around with a multimeter and found the following:

Pin Description Wire Color Note
          2 GND Brown N/A
          3 12V Switched by Interior Lights Red/Grey No fuse, direct from LSZ
          5 12V Constant Red/Yellow 10A Fuse
          6 12V Switched by Key Violet/White 5A Fuse

It has everything I need, so I ordered some TE connectors (1-962692-2 for the eject box and some other two and three pin connectors for the rest) and a MOSFET switch solid state relay board thing (didn't want a relay clicking under the dash). I added this last component because I didn't want to run the wireless charger off of the 5A fuse. Instead, I'm using the switched 12V to send power from the 10A fused wire to the wireless charger.

I searched around for a bit and ended up buying a wireless charging board that can supposedly do 15W fast charging:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	195313

I tested it out on the bench and was only able to get 5W charging on my phone by supplying the board with 12V, so the listing was either a bit optimistic or failed to mention that you need 24V to get 15W charging. Either way, I'm happy enough with 5W, so it's fine. I also measured the current draw and it peaked close to 900mA. I think not running the board off of the switched 12V was a good call, as I would have been using close to 20% of the fuse rating just for this thing.

I then had to figure out how to mount this thing to the center console cubby where I put my phone while driving. It's significantly bigger than the previous one, so I had to get creative:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.9 KB ID:	195314

Unfortunately the coil wires were not long enough for it to work in this configuration, but the clearance was great. There's a ton of space behind this cubby thing:

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	195315

I decided to try extending the wires just to see what would happen:

Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	195316

To my surprise, it worked just fine! Guess the change in wire length didn't mess with the resonance tuning enough to make a difference. Or maybe they still fall within what the board can adjust to. Either way, still seeing 5W charging with it like this.

Not onto the more boring task of building and running the harness.

I decided to split this up into three parts for easier disassembly. First came the part of harness that goes to the eject box connector. Here is the MOSFET board I bought:

Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.6 KB ID:	195317

Removed the screw terminals and LED:

Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.4 KB ID:	195318
          Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.9 KB ID:	195319

Then measured wire lengths and wired everything up. Made it so the charger and dashcam connectors would come out right under the shift boot, for easier disconnecting. The two wire connector is for the charger and the three wire one is for the dashcam (more on that in a bit):

Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	195320

Next, I measured and wired up the charger:

Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.3 KB ID:	195321
          Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.4 KB ID:	195322

Ran down to the car for a quick test:

Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	195323

Charger only came on with the key in position 2 and was still charging at 5W. Nice.

I added some heat shrink to the board and wrapped the wires in Tesa tape to prevent rattles. Then stuck it to the cubby with some double sided mounting tape:

Click image for larger version  Name:	15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	195324
          Click image for larger version  Name:	16.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	195325

Next up was the dashcam harness.

I could have just ran the constant 12V wire up and kept the switched 12V and GND from the homelink connector, but decided to run all three up instead. Wires are thin enough that it doesn't make a huge difference and doing it this way means I have one harness running to the camera instead of two. I did have to run the switched 12V directly from the 5A pin (instead of switched through the MOSFET like with the charger) because the board I bought switches the GND wire, not the positive one. No big deal since the camera should basically not draw any current from that.

Note to future self: do not run any higher current loads off of this switched 12V.

Here's the dashcam harness complete and the stock dashcam power stuff terminated with the corresponding connector:

Click image for larger version  Name:	17.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	195326
          Click image for larger version  Name:	18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	195327

Tested that and then moved on to making everything short and rattle proof. Unfortunately didn't have heat shrink that was the correct diameter for the switch board. I was going to wrap the whole thing anyway, so I cut a piece off of a larger diameter roll and then taped over it. I just wanted the heat shrink there for electrical isolation, so all good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	195328

Since I was already doing it, I wrapped everything in Tesa tape. Such a tedious thing to do, but at least it looks nice:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.9 KB ID:	195329
          Last edited by heinzboehmer; 01-19-2024, 04:51 PM.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Then proceeded to run everything through the interior nicely.

First up was reinstalling all the dashcam electronics. You can just barely see them tucked away inside the headliner on the upper left of this picture. The micro USB plug comes out the front of the headliner and goes to the camera:

Click image for larger version  Name:	21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	195331

Then came the three wire harness that goes down to the center console. Started up at the headliner and tucked it in along the leading edge:

Click image for larger version  Name:	22.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.5 KB ID:	195332

It's currently just hanging out in the headliner as I wasn't able to reach far enough to clip it into the harness clips that are present. I guess I'll have to do that whenever I have the headliner off (CF roof install maybe?).

I continued by running the harness along the A pillar and down towards the dash. I really didn't want it to interfere with the airbags, so I took the A pillar covers off and tucked it away nicely next to the existing harness:

Click image for larger version  Name:	23.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.3 KB ID:	195333
            Click image for larger version  Name:	24.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	195334

Ran it through the dash and into the glovebox area:

Click image for larger version  Name:	25.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	195335
            Click image for larger version  Name:	26.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.5 KB ID:	195336

Zip tied it out of the way behind the glove box:

Click image for larger version  Name:	27.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.6 KB ID:	195337
            Click image for larger version  Name:	28.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.0 KB ID:	195338

And finally ran it into the dash and to the center console:

Click image for larger version  Name:	29.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.8 KB ID:	195339

Put the eject box part of the harness in place and connected it to the dashcam bit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.3 KB ID:	195340

Here's how the eject box section is ran:

Click image for larger version  Name:	31.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	195341

Then came the charger. Reassembled the top portion of the center console and fished the charger power wire out into the shifter area:

Click image for larger version  Name:	32.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.8 KB ID:	195342
            Click image for larger version  Name:	33.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.3 KB ID:	195343

One thing I'm not super happy about is how the charger coils sit against the underside of the cubby. Installing is not an issue at all, but they catch against the trim right above the switch panel on removal. Have to get my fingernail under the lower section of the cubby and pull up slightly to be able to remove it. Oh well, there always has to be one thing that doesn't go super smoothly.

Note to future self: do the lifting up thing and don't rip out the coils when trying to remove the cubby.

Last step was to connect to the eject box connector.

Click image for larger version  Name:	34.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.5 KB ID:	195344

Kept that foam condom thing around the connector to try and avoid rattles.

Tested and still good! No final pics because the interior looks the same as always.

All in all pretty happy with this little project. As per usual, it went from a simple fix to a complete redesign, but I'm glad I did it. The previous implementation was sorta half assed and was annoying to work around. This new one splits up into sections super easily and is much cleaner.
            Last edited by heinzboehmer; 12-07-2022, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

All in all pretty happy with this little project. As per usual, it went from a simple fix to a complete redesign, but I'm glad I did it. The previous implementation was sorta half assed and was annoying to work around. This new one splits up into sections super easily and is much cleaner.
              You have yet again described every car project I've ever done. Fun to read your journal and the car looks great.

Mike
              Last edited by nuc1; 12-07-2022, 05:31 PM.
              02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
              11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
              16 X5

Comment

I thought you were making a bomb...then I realized it was a contact charger! lol

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                  I thought you were making a bomb...then I realized it was a contact charger! lol

Nice work!
                  LOL, the heinzboebeemer is a wiring guru.

Comment

Originally posted by nuc1 View Post

You have yet again described every car project I've ever done. Fun to read your journal and the car looks great.

Mike
                    Thank you! Funny how the snowballing always seems to happen, no? Feels great when you're done though.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Nice work!
                    Originally posted by Slideways View Post

LOL, the heinzboebeemer is a wiring guru.
                    Lol, thanks. Goes to​ show just how much I ended overcomplicating the simple replacement of the charger.

Comment

Also, posting the charger update made me realize that I ran the harness in a spot that would potentially interfere with the glovebox. Thought it felt a little weird when putting it on, but I guess it didn't feel weird enough to make me question it.

Anyway the potential issue was here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221206_212915~2.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	195563

I couldn't find a good way to poke my hand in there to check, but I think the side of the glovebox rests against that metal bracket. The harness was easy enough to rerun, so I just did that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221207_103539~2.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	195564

Now won't have to worry about potentially rubbing through the harness and causing a short.

Comment

Looks like the M3 made it onto the latest M539 Restorations video (on the right):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 2.55.52 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	195816

Was fun meeting and hanging out with everyone there. Sreten is a pretty cool dude. He seemed jealous of the cars with carbon airboxes and kept saying how the M3 he bought sounded like shit lol

Comment

That's pretty awesome. I will go check out that video now!
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

The wireless charger is nicely done. Was it some sort of kit, or roll your own?

Thanks.

D-O
                            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                              The wireless charger is nicely done. Was it some sort of kit, or roll your own?

Thanks.

D-O
                              Thanks! Not a kit, I bought the parts (charging board, MOSFET board, connectors, etc.) and made/assembled everything myself.

Comment

Very well done, sir.

D-O
                                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                                X