No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2002 Topaz 6MT Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the exact same rust under my license plate - actually it was much worse, it was bubbling in multiple places and must've been like that for years.

Did the exact same thing with POR15. Luckily it's all hidden but if you take the plate off, it's a total eyesore

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
      I had the exact same rust under my license plate - actually it was much worse, it was bubbling in multiple places and must've been like that for years.

Did the exact same thing with POR15. Luckily it's all hidden but if you take the plate off, it's a total eyesore

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Yeah it kinda sucks, but fortunately it's on the panel that I will most likely replace the soonest.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

My car is completely stock right now, so took it in for a baseline dyno run.

Here's the setup:
        • 126270 mi
        • 100% stock US spec pre-facelift M3
        • Converted MSS54 running stock 2501 HP software
        • All engine maintenance done
          • Rod bearings replaced ~13k mi ago
          • VANOS done ~13k mi ago, passes VANOS test with no issues
          • Engine retimed ~2k mi ago
          • Valve adjustment done ~2k mi ago
        • No mechanical fan, just aux
        • Dynoed at Sonoma racetrack so altitude is ~sea level
        • 70ºF ambient temp
        • Dyno said 50% humidity, weather app said 90%, so unfortunately no clear answer for that
        • All O2s are original, got new ones in a box ready to go in when my V1s arrive, but potentially left some power on the table because of this
        • Running Shell V-Power 91 octane
        Click image for larger version  Name:	All Runs.png Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	118162
        269 max WHP, 230 max WTQ

First three runs were done back to back with one fan flowing air into the radiator. Fourth run was done after letting the car cool down for ~5 min and pointing another fan at the driver's side fog light area. I've attached all the individual runs to this post in case anyone wants to take a look at them.

Results were pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I think I told the dyno operator I was expecting to see 270 WHP. I'll be back when I get my CSL airbox back on and then back again when the V1s go on to get a full dyno tune.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by heinzboehmer; 08-01-2021, 09:36 AM.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

I also took some pictures of the car right after the paint correction. The paint looks awesome in the sun now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0698.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	118169

Name:	DSC_0699.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	118170

Name:	DSC_0700.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	118171

Name:	DSC_0704.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	118172

Name:	DSC_0709.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	118173

Name:	DSC_0711.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	118174

Honestly, even without the airbox, the engine bay in these cars looks amazing.

Name:	DSC_0717.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	118175

Name:	DSC_0720.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	118176

Comment

A very nice M3 and very well maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by M.R. View Post
              A very nice M3 and very well maintained.
              Thank you!

Comment

Looks amazing after that paint correction! Thanks for posting your stock dyno, looks like a healthy motor. Funny- our cars have almost the exact same mileage (though yours is in much better condition)!

Comment

Beautiful.
                  Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                    Looks amazing after that paint correction! Thanks for posting your stock dyno, looks like a healthy motor. Funny- our cars have almost the exact same mileage (though yours is in much better condition)!
                    Originally posted by Mike0032 View Post
                    Beautiful.
                    Thank you! Just need to adjust the front bumper fitment, add some new foam to it to get rid of the waviness up top, replace a couple plastic exterior pieces and then I'll be truly happy with the exterior.

Comment

One other thing I did after the paint correction was to replace the hardware in the license plate bracket. The heads of the screws holding the bracket to the trunk were a little bit rusty and the square nuts pressed into the bracket were a lot bit rusty. I had to hold the square nuts with vice grips (through the plastic) to get the plate off when I removed it.

Definitely not paying BMW $40 for a new one, so instead I just bought matching hardware at the hardware store. Bought new screws to attach it to the trunk, hex nuts to press into the bracket and some new license plate screws that look identical to the BMW ones. The hex nuts I bought have a slightly bigger footprint than the stock square nuts, so they're not going anywhere after being pressed in.

New hardware at the top left and in the bracket, old square nuts are in the bottom left. You can see the bracket sustained some damage when I was battling against the old square nuts, but it doesn't affect the fit of the new nuts, so not a big deal.

Name:	20210724_190830.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	118743

I also cleaned up the metal inserts for the screws and added some foam behind the nuts, so that they wouldn't scratch the paint.

Comment

Great build! Found your thread after looking at some pictures of the chain guide. The P.O. on mine tightened the bolt too much and broke the upper part of the plastic guide. So I assume the broken piece is at the bottom somewhere…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

FYI

Amazon / Ebay sells an almost identical BMW license plate brackets for far less.

I recently purchased one for a different vehicle.

6 UNIQUE SCREWS & WRENCH. BMW 3 Series (E21,E30,E36,E46,E90,E91,E92,E93) 320i Sedan 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005. BMW 3 Series (E21,E30,E36,E46,E90,E91,E92,E93) 323Ci Convertible 1999, 2000, 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by LatinSkllz View Post
                            Great build! Found your thread after looking at some pictures of the chain guide. The P.O. on mine tightened the bolt too much and broke the upper part of the plastic guide. So I assume the broken piece is at the bottom somewhere…

Thank you! That whole thing with the chain guide was a pain. It all happened like two months after I got the car too, so it was a great introduction to M ownership. Wish you luck sorting yours out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post
                            FYI

Amazon / Ebay sells an almost identical BMW license plate brackets for far less.

I recently purchased one for a different vehicle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-LICENS...-127632-2357-0

Thanks. I actually like the design of those better with the threaded inserts instead of the pressed in square nuts. Might look into replacing mine in the future.

I just needed to get the plate back onto the car and so I opted to run to the hardware store and get it done that day.

Comment

Car looks amazing! Can you please get factory wipers though I too had the bosch icons, but man, they're ugleeeee. Prob one of those things you don't notice till some arsehole says something
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                Car looks amazing! Can you please get factory wipers though I too had the bosch icons, but man, they're ugleeeee. Prob one of those things you don't notice till some arsehole says something
                                Thanks! And ssshhhh, no need to make everyone aware of them

Every time I wash the car I tell myself it's time to get new wipers cause these are ugly and don't sit well against the glass. But my forgetfulness —combined with the lack of rain in California— means I haven't done so yet. Gotta order some stuff from FCP for my headers anyway, so I'll add them to my cart.

These are the factory ones right? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e46-3397001394

Comment

Working...
                                X