No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2002 Topaz 6MT Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a bunch of stuff in the mail today and got straight to work.

First the wiper stalk:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240226_181152.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	255063

Probed everything and turns out that yes, the E39 wiper stalk is entirely plug and play with the ZCP MK60. Just need to run the M track mode signal wire to pin 10 and done.

I fed that wire through the stock wiring locations to try and keep it as out of the way as possible:

Name:	20240226_182606.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	255065

Name:	20240226_182545.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	255064

Name:	20240226_183435.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	255066

And installed:

Name:	20240226_185449.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	255067

Next up some bavsound speakers:

Name:	20240226_190405.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	255068

Install was super straight forward. I only have a couple things to highlight.

None of the speakers have clips for the connectors to clip in to, so I wrapped all the connectors in tesa tape to try and keep rattles away:

Name:	20240226_193024.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	255069

I also replaced all the clips in all four door cards with brand new ones. Felt pretty great to have everything clip in like it's supposed to:

Name:	20240226_192530.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	255070

Also, I didn't love how the rear tweeters sat in the stock plastic carrier, so I removed the lip to get the mating surface as flat as possible for the adhesive. For some reason, I was too lazy to break out the dremel, so instead I used some needle nose pliers to rip away the lip and then a razor blade to clean everything up. Honestly looks kinda terrible, but it works great!

Name:	20240226_232918.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	255071

I also added a ton of adhesive to the space between the speaker and the carrier. Did this to make sure it was airtight and to try and keep the speakers attached to the carrier for as long as possible. Hopefully this adhesive lasts for a while.

Name:	20240226_233549.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	255072

And finally, I swapped out the smoked depo side markers for some fresh clear ones:

Name:	20240226_205025.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	255073
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The magnets in my bavsound speakers contact the metal door itself so I put some tesa tape in between that location too. Next time your door panel is off, it’d be worth checking for signs of contact. Mine’s obviously a sedan door so the coupe may be better.
      ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

I'll keep that in mind! I didn't feel any contact when installing, but maybe I just didn't notice...

Hoping that shaving that lip down gives them enough clearance.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Sorry, I meant the woofers down below. They only contact once you snap the clips in so it’s basically impossible to tell by look, feel or hearing.

Comment

Oh! My mind immediately went to the rear tweeters for some reason. I'll look for witness marks next time the door card is off.

Comment

Did an oil change yesterday. Unfortunately nothing went wrong, so going to be a short post.

Oil drain plug repair still doing good!

Name:	20240227_201555.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	255320

Oil dipstick was breaking apart towards the bottom, so that got replaced:

Name:	20240227_211753.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	255321

Also, when I swapped the steering rack, I noticed that the bolt that goes from the PS pump bracket to the oil pan was missing. Judging by the amount of dirt inside the threads in the oil pan, this thing has been missing for a while and I just hadn't noticed it:

Name:	20240227_203837.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	255322

New one installed:

Name:	20240227_204553.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	255323

Comment

Going to be replicating Bry5on's wideband/logging setup and parts have started coming in. Last night I spent a few hours getting the wiring for the wideband in place.

Easiest way to wire it would be to just run the wire through some grommet in the drug bin area, but that would require wires to be floating around the engine bay and I wanted to avoid that. Since I pulled the precat O2 and EGT wiring out of the narrowband harness during my header install, there was just about enough room to feed it through there.

Getting the AEM wiring through required a decent amount of messing around, but it wasn't too too bad in the end. Depinned the O2 connector and used some coated stainless steel wire rope to guide it through:

Name:	20240228_200653.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	255430

Name:	20240228_200952.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	255431

Some time later it was in place:

Name:	20240228_210329.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	255432

Name:	20240228_224550.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	255434

Name:	20240228_224256.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	255433

Luckily, the wire length was just about perfect to reach a wideband O2 plugged into the headers. No need to be wiring up any extension harnesses or anything.

I did also fit that rubber wire grommet on the passenger's side of the valve cover (12517831185). Hopefully that keeps the top of the valve cover a bit cleaner. I spent some time trying a bunch of different wiring routes until I settled on something I liked. I wish the SS headers didn't make the narrowband O2 wiring so tight...

I then drilled some holes for zip ties in the transmission ECU compartment and mounted the wideband controller there:

Name:	20240228_230318.jpg
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	255435

Name:	20240228_231809.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	255436

Name:	20240228_233205.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	255437

In the future, I'll cut the loop of wire going between the wideband controller and the DME housing grommet in half and add some connectors to it. This is mainly so that getting the O2 harness out of the car isn't a huge pain.

And through to the interior:

Name:	20240228_233434.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	255438

And that's where I stopped. I have yet to install the O2 sensor onto the headers and have also yet to wire the controller in. My Gauge.S still hasn't come in, so probably won't continue with this until it does. Pretty happy with how stealthy this turned out though!

I did do a bit of thinking and I'm pretty sure I'm going to wire everything to the eject box power supply harness that I have in the center console. It's on a 10 A fuse so should be fine. Here's my messy current draw calculations for everything that's going to be connected to that supply harness:
                • Front dash cam: 1 A peak
                • Rear dash cam: 1 A peak
                • Wireless charger: 1 A peak
                • AEM Wideband Controller:
                • Gauge.s:
                  • 500 mA peak worst case (estimated)
                  • 150 mA peak measured (by Bryson)
                • ---------------------------------------------------------
                • Worst case peak current draw: 6.5 A
                • Realistic peak​ current draw: <4.65 A
                Think it should be safe! Will make everything super easy to wire as well. If I start popping fuses (I shouldn't), I'll run a separate fuse for the wideband/Gauge.S setup.

Comment

Super clean. Remember to always use twisted pairs and the shortest wire lengths you can for CAN, and as you know, try not to run CAN in parallel to power wires. This is mostly for people who might want to recreate this but run the wiring a little differently. If you’re pulling CAN from the steering angle sensor, this should be a non-issue since the run is so short. Also, don’t forget to run CAN to your OBD2 connector while you’re in there doing all of this. It’s so nice to be able to grab the data without doing any wiring if needed.

And one more note for future people. Gauge.S is actively sending commands to the k-bus, which means your code reader will not work while Gauge.S is active. Either kill power to Gauge.S or reboot it into WiFi mode (can be done with steering wheel controls). This one got me a couple weeks back as I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t pull codes from my DME. -_-

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                    Super clean. Remember to always use twisted pairs and the shortest wire lengths you can for CAN, and as you know, try not to run CAN in parallel to power wires. This is mostly for people who might want to recreate this but run the wiring a little differently. If you’re pulling CAN from the steering angle sensor, this should be a non-issue since the run is so short. Also, don’t forget to run CAN to your OBD2 connector while you’re in there doing all of this. It’s so nice to be able to grab the data without doing any wiring if needed.
                    Yep! Have a junkyard harness for the steering angle sensor on the bench waiting for me to wire it up. Thanks for the reminder on the OBD plug CAN wiring, need to order the correct pins for that.

And one more note for future people. Gauge.S is actively sending commands to the k-bus, which means your code reader will not work while Gauge.S is active. Either kill power to Gauge.S or reboot it into WiFi mode (can be done with steering wheel controls). This one got me a couple weeks back as I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t pull codes from my DME. -_-
                    Hmm, this is surprising. The k bus is usually decently active, so not sure why those are causing issues. Any idea what the commands being sent out are? Steering wheel button things?

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                      Hmm, this is surprising. The k bus is usually decently active, so not sure why those are causing issues. Any idea what the commands being sent out are? Steering wheel button things?
                      To get DME data onto the bus, you have to command the k-bus to send it. Same thing testo does, takes control of the k-bus logging.

On my list of things to do is to find/replace everything I can from k-bus to CAN bus, then disable k-bus logging. It’s low on the list though, as I’m pretty sure all of the data I want is not sent over CAN.

Comment

To get DME data onto the bus, you have to command the k-bus to send it. Same thing testo does, takes control of the k-bus logging.

On my list of things to do is to find/replace everything I can from k-bus to CAN bus, then disable k-bus logging. It’s low on the list though, as I’m pretty sure all of the data I want is not sent over CAN.
                        Aah that makes sense. Completely forgot that Gauge.S is primarily, well, a gauge

Comment

Track day in a week, so prepped the car over the weekend. Swapped pads, swapped wheels/tires and addressed a couple small things as well.

Front xenon leveling sensor connector was crumbling apart and being held on by zip ties, so I changed that out for a new one:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_181837.jpg Views:	12 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	256185
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_183549.jpg Views:	12 Size:	174.6 KB ID:	256186

Also swapped out the rest of the dust boots on the front calipers for GiroDisc ones. Not fun to do.

Here's the condition of the Brembo ones that came off:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_204314.jpg Views:	12 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	256187

Three are ripped, but I'm fairly certain that happened when I was removing them. Regardless, they were definitely cooked and very brittle.

All the pistons were still clean though, so not worried about the pressure seals:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_185007.jpg Views:	12 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	256188

Rear Brembo boots looked perfect, so I just left those alone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_193348.jpg Views:	12 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	256189

I also finally reached out to my friend with the 3D scanner and we scanned the caliper/wheel/wheel well. Scans came out pretty awesome:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.55.41 AM.png Views:	13 Size:	655.2 KB ID:	256190
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.56.07 AM.png Views:	13 Size:	501.2 KB ID:	256191
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.57.11 AM.png Views:	13 Size:	654.1 KB ID:	256192
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.56.39 AM.png Views:	13 Size:	779.0 KB ID:	256193

Was even able to create a decent merge of all the scans with the scanner software:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 12.57.33 AM.png Views:	13 Size:	624.0 KB ID:	256194

Looks like a mess in that pic, but promise the 3D version is totally usable.

Looking forward to finally designing the caliper evacuation duct. Current plan is to have it be two pieces: one that attaches and seals against the caliper and another that will hang out somewhere that sees high velocity air flow. First piece will just serve as an air guide out of the caliper and will connect to the second piece with a short section of brake duct hose. Second piece will be a venturi vacuum generator that will create the necessary low pressure to pull air from the caliper.

I've already started designing some different venturi designs to 3D print and test the effectiveness of. None of my designs are based on any hard science, really. Instead, I plan to use the guess and check method on this . Print a couple different designs, test with a leaf blower, tweak things and keep iterating until I'm happy (or get stuck and have to resort to some actual theory-backed design).

I do also intend to try and see if I can make the final version a one piece thing. Would be a much more elegant solution, but I'm not sure that I can make something that can stick out into fast moving laminar airflow and attach to the top of the caliper and not be gigantic. Plus, the two piece design with definitely simplify testing of the different venturi designs.

Anyway, excited to start messing around with this. I have access to a 3D printer at work, but this project is also making me want to just go out and buy one...
                          Last edited by heinzboehmer; 03-04-2024, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                            Front xenon leveling sensor connector was crumbling apart and being held on by zip ties, so I changed that out for a new one:
                            Do you have a part # for that?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                              Do you have a part # for that?
                              I didn't find the connector keyed for that specific location, so I just used the universal one: 61138383300

Comment

Same connector as for vanos solenoid pack

Comment

Working...
                                X