Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timmo View Post
    Careful, the PNs are different between sedan/coupe and wagon. Also don't forget the backing plate that goes in the trunk and sandwiches the rails as well, but that is something you could easily get waterjet and bent with sendcutsend

Good call. For the record:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A0E9E8C6-110B-4BB2-8EDF-CE763D93A84A.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	208345
    Attached Files
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Still planning on swapping in the M3 floor and exhaust? Don't know too much about these hitches, but will the wagon version still fit with that muffler on?
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Still planning on swapping in the M3 floor and exhaust? Don't know too much about these hitches, but will the wagon version still fit with that muffler on?
        Word on the street is that it should still fit. For now I’m going to keep the standard twin pipes. With the vincebar and v-brace installations looming, I’ve got plenty of work cut out for myself on the back end already.

Comment

Spent a few minutes last night to design a solid/spherical bearing replacement for the steering guibo, another mill/lathe project once I free up the time

Name:	64B5A14A-CE13-4B4F-A095-D7E66E6C4939.png
Views:	341
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	208613

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
            Spent a few minutes last night to design a solid/spherical bearing replacement for the steering guibo, another mill/lathe project once I free up the time
            I thought this was a 'no no' with LHD cars since the rubber guibo compensates for misalignment while RHD cars have a UJ. Solid steering couplers on LHD cars can damage or wear the steering rack IIRC. That's why places like CMP only sell a solid coupler for RHD. I'm sure there was a discussion about it a while ago but I could be misremembering.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

I thought this was a 'no no' with LHD cars since the rubber guibo compensates for misalignment while RHD cars have a UJ. Solid steering couplers on LHD cars can damage or wear the steering rack IIRC. That's why places like CMP only sell a solid coupler for RHD. I'm sure there was a discussion about it a while ago but I could be misremembering.
              It’s hard to tell from the image but there are four spherical bearings, $12/ea in that design above. They provide the same amount of articulation as a factory setup good callout though, you’re absolutely right that a solid adapter is a no no

Comment

Interesting in hearing your thoughts about that steering coupler. Especially considering how sensitive you are to NVH

Maybe you could start with one of the off the shelf ones and drill it out to accommodate the spherical bearings. Would save you a bit of work. Most of them have reliefs cut out though, so not sure if you'd have enough material to work with.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

I'm wondering if there has there been feedback that these solid couplings make any noticeable difference to steering feel. Cool idea and neat little machining project with the sphericals though

Comment

I'm wondering if there has there been feedback that these solid couplings make any noticeable difference to steering feel. Cool idea and neat little machining project with the sphericals though
                    I had one on my car for a bit (didn't give it too much thought then, fortunately rack seems fine), but have since replaced with the regular rubber one. Did make the steering feel more direct, but also made it much more twitchy. Did not eliminate all of the on center deadness that the M3 racks have.

Comment

Pretty much agree with Heinz above. I run CMP's coupler since I am RHD. Deadspot in the centre is still there (I think that is just a function of the geometry and design of the steering on these cars tbh) but the feel through the steering is improved but it's not earth shattering.

Comment

Pretty much every BMW since the e46 is solid, even the e39 was solid in the same generation. NVH isn’t bad in those cars so I’m assuming it shouldn’t translate up the wheel. I’ll be sure to notice though, as Heinz says. And I’m not afraid to go back to stock if something sucks.

heinzboehmer (& Thoglan) less rear toe in really helps with the numb on center feel. Since you’ve got sphericals back there, you should run CSL specs or similar. Way different settings.
                        Last edited by Bry5on; 03-06-2023, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Slon just sent me these pics, I had the strut mounts anodized black to be a little more stealthy. Install coming soon!

Name:	43880DFE-8FC0-4458-A9CE-8FC43142ABA7.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	209101
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	6E42099B-95E2-44F9-ABE2-3FBEDAD211D7.jpg Views:	4 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	209083 Click image for larger version  Name:	E457D653-56C5-451F-8250-6F163D26B8F1.jpg Views:	4 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	209084
                          Last edited by Bry5on; 03-10-2023, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Aluminum BMW/Westfalia hitch showed up today - time to clean it up and adapt this to the US stealth hitches design we've got on the Macan

Name:	IMG_4078.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	209977 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4080.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	209978 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4076.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	209979 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4077.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	209980 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 9.30.19 PM.png
Views:	267
Size:	652.7 KB
ID:	209981

Comment

Spent a few hours today cleaning up the hitch and dropping the smaller parts in the ultrasonic, then started the rebuild process for the 712 steering rack that's been sitting for months. It's got a little etching, so I'll basically be crossing my fingers that it seals.

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	210215 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4100.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	210216 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4130.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	210217 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4128.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	210218

Comment

That's great. Where did you get parts to rebuild the steering rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X