Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch switch

Hey guys,

i bought a smg —> to 6 speed swapped E46 M3. The previous owner didn’t complete the swap and left it with no clutch switch so it has the throttle lag and randomly dies coming to a stop. Super annoying! Ive followed the DIY’s to wire up the car to be ready for the coding/clutch switch it needs but i cant find a place that has the brown or green switch! I’ve ordered part number 61319122700 (brown) and 61319122701 (green) and both came in as black (but still had the correct part numbers printed on them). I’ve read online these will not work unfortunately and was looking for some insight if anyone was able to the get the black switches to work? Ecuworx will be doing my coding. Personally i don’t care if cruise control never works… i just want my throttle response to come back and it to stop dying on me at idle.

thanks!

Have same problem here, i ordered brown one from fcpeuro and received black one, contacted them to send me correct part but they still haven't send replacement...
    My throttle is on point but car does stall sometines when comming to stop, also cruise control is not working either

Comment

I got mine (green) from thebmwmini online store

Comment

Bought a brown clutch switch on Ebay from MPartsWorldWide. Only one was available on all of ebay....and I paid handsomely for it.

They pop up used from time to time but be prepared to pay 200-300 for it. Green may be the way to go as it's much cheaper but you will not get cruise control functionality (not sure if that matters to you). Brown clutch switch is the only way to get cruise control + fix all the issues you're reporting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5257.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	208889
        '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post
          Bought a brown clutch switch on Ebay from MPartsWorldWide. Only one was available on all of ebay....and I paid handsomely for it.

They pop up used from time to time but be prepared to pay 200-300 for it. Green may be the way to go as it's much cheaper but you will not get cruise control functionality (not sure if that matters to you). Brown clutch switch is the only way to get cruise control + fix all the issues you're reporting.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5257.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	208889

Sorry but that’s wrong. Only difference between brown and green is clutch interlock circuit for ews interlock in US and Japan E46 m3. So coding out clutch interlock in ews Modul will be enough with the green switch (that is made for EU M3).
          only black clutch switch will never work on the m3.
          …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Sorry but that’s wrong. Only difference between brown and green is clutch interlock circuit for ews interlock in US and Japan E46 m3. So coding out clutch interlock in ews Modul will be enough with the green switch (that is made for EU M3).
            only black clutch switch will never work on the m3.
            What's wrong? The Brown clutch switch is the only clutch switch that works to restore cruise control features AND fix all the throttle response/ stalling/ ews issues OP was referencing. The green clutch switch fixes everything except restoring cruise control functionality. I've talked to half a dozen shops that have tried to make cruise control work with the green clutch switch for SMG swapped cars and it simply does not. EAS in Irvine installed a Green clutch switch recently and got everything to work except the cruise control. Swapped in a Brown clutch switch and the cruise control features were restored.

Now if you're saying the price these used brown clutch switches sell for is wrong, I completely agree...haha.
            Last edited by AWE46M3; 03-09-2023, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

What's wrong? The Brown clutch switch is the only clutch switch that works to restore cruise control features AND fix all the throttle response/ stalling/ ews issues OP was referencing. The green clutch switch fixes everything except restoring cruise control functionality. I've talked to half a dozen shops that have tried to make cruise control work with the green clutch switch for SMG swapped cars and it simply does not. EAS in Irvine installed a Green clutch switch recently and got everything to work except the cruise control. Swapped in a Brown clutch switch and the cruise control features were restored.

Now if you're saying the price these used brown clutch switches sell for is wrong, I completely agree...haha.

Wrong is that you can not use cruise control with the green switch. And the brown switch is not the only one….the OP let ecuworx do the coding and I’m pretty sure Martyn will coding the ews to no clutch interlock for the green switch. It‘s like 15sec work and easy.

as I said, the only difference is the ability to use the clutch interlock on the EWS Modul for starting. The signal that goes to the mss54(hp) is on green and brown exactly the same. Only black one‘s use a different logic,

You can have fully functional cruise control (and everything else dme related) with green AND brown switch. I have used both in my manual conversions I did and both working 100% as expected.
              If the „shop“ is not able to get the cruise control work with one of these both switches, I highly recommend to change the shop to a reputable one.
              …under construction.

Comment

Wrong is that you can not use cruise control with the green switch. And the brown switch is not the only one….the OP let ecuworx do the coding and I’m pretty sure Martyn will coding the ews to no clutch interlock for the green switch. It‘s like 15sec work and easy.

as I said, the only difference is the ability to use the clutch interlock on the EWS Modul for starting. The signal that goes to the mss54(hp) is on green and brown exactly the same. Only black one‘s use a different logic,

You can have fully functional cruise control (and everything else dme related) with green AND brown switch. I have used both in my manual conversions I did and both working 100% as expected.
                If the „shop“ is not able to get the cruise control work with one of these both switches, I highly recommend to change the shop to a reputable one.

"No Clutch Interlock" bypasses the system check to ensure the clutch is depressed before activating the starter. Coding EWS for no clutch interlock fixes the no start/no crank issues a lot of people run into with SMG swaps when they are running the Black or Blue clutch switch. Are you saying that coding the EWS to turn off the clutch interlock feature + the green switch = functional cruise control?

From what I've gathered, the brown clutch switch is plug and play, no coding to the EWS required, and works to restore the cruise control features assuming the contact lead run to the DME is done properly.

If you've done this successfully with the Green clutch switch ( 61319122701) I think the community could really benefit from a tutorial. A green clutch switch is relatively cheap and readily available - it would be a huge money saver for the community to know exactly what they need to get done in terms of coding and wiring to make everything work the way it does for a brown clutch switch. I don't know anyone running a green clutch switch that has functional cruise control features.

For what it's worth, EAS (European Auto Source) is a very reputable shop in Southern California and one of the few remaining shops that offer coding services of any kind for E46 M3's in the area. With these cars reaching 20+ years in age, most shops don't have the right computers or experienced techs to code them properly. Many shops in the area that do SMG to manual swaps send their cars to EAS for coding.
                Last edited by AWE46M3; 03-09-2023, 02:18 PM.

Comment

This might be useful Nick AWE46M3 :

From the SMG to 6MT DIY thread https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...6mt-conversion

To clarify things, as explained earlier in this thread...You can use 700 or 701 switch. ONLY these 2 switches work with MSS54(Hp) because ECU need to read signal HIGH (+12v) instead of LOW (GND). I tested this on bench and also have both switches here and can confirm this.
                  With 701 switch on US and Japan cars you need to code out Clutch interlock in ews Modul or bridge clutch signal on EWS plug. This switch in green.

With 700 switch you will have start/clutch interlock in EWS working. Working also in every other M3( also in M3’s without clutch start interlock). This switch is brown.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Someone please school me on the clutch switch, colors X functionality; sorry to thread jack.

Comment

I recently ordered a new 700 switch from Turner. They are now black FYI.
                      '06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

what is wrong with the black switch compared to the brown one?
                        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Nevermind I was thinking PDC for console.

Here's what I found for cruise control. I believe they used a black switch.

Last edited by simonnim; 08-07-2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

here is the clutch switch that was installed on my car. not sure of the part number..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4144.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	231629
                            Attached Files
                            /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                            X