Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick and easy way to street tune your CSL conversion for drivability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

Nice. I totally need to learn how to do this. Care to offer remote support?
    You’ve gotta make some local e46 M3 friends! A crew of 2 or 3 in your area is your best bet
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

Very much yes. Totally solved in my car, finally.
      Same. Was overshooting my rev matches at first , since the engine actually responds to part throttle inputs now
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I'm excited about this then. I have a light flywheel and have always been amazed how garbage the throttle blips are with the CSL tune and carbon airbox

Comment

When not running the CSL conversion, But Alpha-N, would you tune the Volumetric efficiency map and the Alpha-N map is a correction over that, or should you just tune the Alpha-N map?

Comment

Thank you to everyone who helped! And a huge thank you to the creator of the topic, and those who posted additional files and clarifications! After the final runs and testing of the car, and after about 5 trips with logging, the car has completely changed. Now there's torque from 1200 rpm, the car doesn't tremble in calm mode, and the gearbox shifts at 2700 rpm. There's a complete feeling of torque at low revs; it seems to me that even on the stock intake, it didn't work like this. Now it's just joy with every trip, as if it's a completely different car, the one that was intended).

Comment

Pavlo Thank you for this excellent work.

I think a lot of CSL owners used to remove the CSL flap disc from the airbox snorkel because the opening mechanism was unreliable.

So without the flap i guess the car is being under fuelled below 3000 RPM ?

I have the CSL airbox and camshafts in my car and i definitely have a dip when trying to pull away normally.

Is the CSL flap always open in Sport mode and would therefore not effect the fuelling?

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.22.47 AM.png Views:	274 Size:	880.5 KB ID:	243958
                Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                For the record, here’s the difference between the default CSL tune and the 5 runs in version using this method on my car. Super clever, thank you for sharing!
                Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0692.png Views:	0 Size:	637.4 KB ID:	243562

Frist off, thanks to everyone who worked on this. I have done similar part throttle tuning in other applications but always wondered if it were possible to do for the S54 with more or less "free" software.

Interestingly my car didn't need many changes. I always thought it ran well without any of the jerkiness that is commonly reported with the CSL tune. My set-up is slighly different than Bry5on and heinzboehmer. I'm running the Karb race box and megan headers with a homebuilt catted 2.5in section 2. Guessing this is related to better airflow with the SS headers or perhaps a more refreshed fuel system. New pump and filter within the last 1000 miles.

I logged for around 20-30 minutes and tried to vary load and hit as many engine speeds as I could. A bigger dataset would certainly work better. Next step is to get more data and set-up my wideband for WOT fueling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	774.0 KB ID:	256802

Comment

Finally changed sparks and oil and made about 1,30 hour run
                  Comparsion to stock CSL
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Снимок экрана 2024-04-18 в 17.37.14.png
Views:	168
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	261778

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post

Frist off, thanks to everyone who worked on this. I have done similar part throttle tuning in other applications but always wondered if it were possible to do for the S54 with more or less "free" software.

Interestingly my car didn't need many changes. I always thought it ran well without any of the jerkiness that is commonly reported with the CSL tune. My set-up is slighly different than Bry5on and heinzboehmer. I'm running the Karb race box and megan headers with a homebuilt catted 2.5in section 2. Guessing this is related to better airflow with the SS headers or perhaps a more refreshed fuel system. New pump and filter within the last 1000 miles.

I logged for around 20-30 minutes and tried to vary load and hit as many engine speeds as I could. A bigger dataset would certainly work better. Next step is to get more data and set-up my wideband for WOT fueling.

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	774.0 KB ID:	256802

f you car had no jerkiness with std CSL tune, I would assume your exhaust setup is a bit worse that oem Euro exhaust in that particular area.
                    Because the jerkiness comes from my expierence mostly from lean spots, where you have to add fuel with stock cams compared to CSL ones.
                    Less restriction or just increased diameter exhaust is not what a stock s54 needs (in terms of torque curve) They are very sensitive to this and the oem exhaust is very well designed imo. Of course not everyone's taste in terms of sound.
                    …under construction.

Comment

What are we calling the cold map?. I've given this a go and got things pretty dialled in everywhere else but the warm up tune needs a tweak for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

f you car had no jerkiness with std CSL tune, I would assume your exhaust setup is a bit worse that oem Euro exhaust in that particular area.
                        Because the jerkiness comes from my expierence mostly from lean spots, where you have to add fuel with stock cams compared to CSL ones.
                        Less restriction or just increased diameter exhaust is not what a stock s54 needs (in terms of torque curve) They are very sensitive to this and the oem exhaust is very well designed imo. Of course not everyone's taste in terms of sound.
                        Maybe possible but who cares. Part throttle power (torque really) isn't a noticable thing when driving unless It creates abrupt changes during transitions. It may help fuel efficiency slightly. The fact that I'm close to stoich, maybe even a little lean near full opening, tells me I'm probably pretty damn close near WOT. I need to get my wideband set up and tune the full load next. I may copy Bry5on and blend the vanos tables also.

Related info, initially I was running this header and section 1 with stock 2, and 3 but changed to a SS x pipe in section 2 in pursuit of a different exhaust sound. This was tuned with that setup. I've been thinking about changing back so it will be interesting to see if it's drastically different for part load.

Comment

Nice thread!

Could somebody give some more information about what the adaptation does? Set K_LAA_TMOT_MIN to high temperature like 200°C before logging? Heinzboehmer wrote to reset adaption after flashing. How does that work? Edit: Set K_LAA_TMOT_MIN is correct and I have found the adaption reset function in INPA.

A question regarding vanos before I do the logging. Do you all leave the vanos maps (not the offset but the maps KF_EVAN1_SOLL & KF_AVAN1_SOLL) from the csl as is? Would it make sense to copy the values from stock e46 m3 over?

Thank you people for sharing your wisdom!
                          Last edited by Nezb; Today, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I think the adaption reset can be done with INPA. There is an option to do it at least. I hope it will work. Its kinda strange, my INPA works but I cannot read fault codes. INPA crashes. As far as I remember there is a problem with the full CSL .bin from Paffy which resulted in exactly that problem. The file from Terra, which I use, should fix that but something is still wrong.

Comment

Additional Click image for larger version

Name:	Снимок экрана 2024-05-01 в 17.39.17.png
Views:	7
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	263389
                              On first table was problems on full throttle in 2000-3000 rpm and send error on lambda-2 before cat, now everything is absolutely smooth. I think that 100 numbers no need for change they are works perfect and on logging almost every time shows adapations - 1
                              Also i reset engine adaptations via BmwLogger, don't remember where i download it, it also can reset errors. Because INPA don't want to make it properly

Comment

Working...
                              X