Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting an MSS54/HP into an MSS54HP CSL (H-bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should it be mentioned that one can flash Paffy's modified MSS54HP CSL software onto a MSS54HP without hardware modification. Only thing lost is the H-Bridge right?
    https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...4HP%20to%20CSL
    TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
      Should it be mentioned that one can flash Paffy's modified MSS54HP CSL software onto a MSS54HP without hardware modification. Only thing lost is the H-Bridge right?
      Technically it’ll work fine with the H-bridge too, though if you’re going through that much work you may as well BDM the thing.

Comment

Did you also saved the modified 0pa and 0da files for winkfp flashing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_de View Post
          Unfortunately, I couldn't save those. The modified binaries can be found here though: http://www.msstuning.com/mssflasher.html
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
            Where can one get Paffy's modified MSS54HP CSL software for non-h-bridged DMEs? Gonna need it if/when my turner CSL box ever ships...

Comment

^Its there in the github link that you quoted. It is also on his website.... Flash the full for the modified "OS+Tune" then choose the partial needed if changing IE to manual. You can use the 0401 XDFs to modifiy...
              TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_de View Post
                Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Unfortunately, I couldn't save those. The modified binaries can be found here though: http://www.msstuning.com/mssflasher.html
                i saved them. just unzip and both WINKFP files are there.

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Where can one get Paffy's modified MSS54HP CSL software for non-h-bridged DMEs? Gonna need it if/when my turner CSL box ever ships...
                just use martyns binary modification tool to disable Flap DTCs and you are done. There isnt a separate Bin file for h bridge and no h bridge

Attached Files

Comment

So all of this work is just for the flap functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post
                    So all of this work is just for the flap functionality?
                    The H-bridge is what is required for the flap. Everything has to do with running CSL software on an HP (or converted non-hp).
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

What is everyone's feeling on letting Kassel do the conversion?

Comment

Whoever you get to do the conversion, if it doesn’t
                        come back looking like this, it isn’t done well.

Reflow ovens are the best but you can achieve similar results with correctly applied heat.

Comment

For installing the H-bridge chips I first clean all the old solder from the pad, then apply clean solder to both the pad and heat sink of the h-bridge. Heat board and chip with a heat gun, apply flux to hold the chip in place on the pad and re-flow the solder with a blade tip. Don't touch the chip, just the corner of the pad and the solder will re-flow perfect every time.

Comment

So I've been curious on how to bench test that your HBridge is successful if you do not have a physical flap.

Is it possible to use a voltmeter to test the output on pin 8 or pin 9 on x60002? In conjunction with tool32 adapt_geraeuschklappe ?

I saw a video on YouTube of Martyn using DIS to test the flap and in DIS it showed two values one looks like the value of the potentiometer 0% initially and then 110% when fully open and then .49 volts at closed and then 3.34 volts when open.

I tried using a voltmeter to test the voltage at pin 8 and 9 and couldn't get any signal when I ran that test.

In fact I thought power and ground we're supposed to be pin 8 power pin 9 ground.. but when I do a continuity test between pins 8 and 9 I have continuity on the h Bridge DME with ignition 2, when I put in my non-h bridge DME there is no continuity between pins 8 and 9.

I took the h bridge modified board out double checked my continuity between the h bridge chip and all of the capacitors and resistors and they all match continuity just fine just like the previous one I did.

I'm trying to figure out why I have continuity between pins 8 and 9, does that seem right?

I thought if I put my multimeter on pin 8 that I would see 3.4 volts or something like that when running the flap test.
                            Last edited by nextelbuddy; 06-09-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

ok well i went to the person i sold my original CSL H bridge DME yesterday and verified with ignition II on, pins 8 and 9 also have continuity so it must be a thing. pinouts say pin 8 is power and pin 9 is ground so im not sure why they would have continuity but what ever.

i verified my old h bridge DME did control the flap properly with the test app in tool32.

then i swapped in my new converted one and it also passed.

i suppose the reason it worked with the actual flap is because the potentiometer has to be hooked up and the DME needs to see feedback from the potentiometer so that it can offer voltage to the flap motor.

Comment

Hi there,

I recently bought 2002 e46 M3 (MSS54 ECU) and would like to go for an OEM CSL tune rather than other aftermarket tunes when I receive my CSL intake. I was planning to have my MSS54 ECU physical and software update done in Kessel but upon reading the comments in other topics I backed out of that option.

So I am trying to understand the steps in this topic regarding what I need to do the conversion DIY despite all the risks I will take on the responsibility with my very limited electronics knowledge.

A quick summary of what I understood:

1) H-Bridge is needed only for CSL flap activation. If I do not install Hbridge, CSL tune will still work. But I need turn off the flap related DTCs and apply Paffy's tune as stated above.
                                2) It is a must to update 2 of the red resistors to make the MAP sensor work in post # 6. The GM MAP sensor will work on MSS54 after the resistor update, but the scaling needs to be changed through software. Yellow resistors seem to be optional so far.
                                3) this is the part that I am absolutely clueless - probably a rookie question: why do we need to change the eeproms as per post #9? Just to make the MSS54 an MSS54HP CSL hardware clone or to be able to easily write the software or to disable immobilizer? can not I write the software on the MSS54 eeproms?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X