Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Should I Change When I do My Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post

I had a plastic pivot pin get crushed and I had to pull the trans to replace, just the pin with a metal one that I have never had to worry about again. If you ever have the trans out, put the metal pivot pin in. The rest I agree with.
    Good to know. I think I'll end up going with the metal one too. The increase in nvh is probably worth the peace of mind.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I never noticed any NVH increase, and it is a stock piece on the 8 series...
      2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

- The rear main seal assembly is the more straightforward albeit more expensive route. Buying just the rear main seal and driving it into the existing aluminum carrier is straightforward, as well as remounting with a new gasket, so long as you work neatly and cleanly. Some say you'll still get a leak. Its personal preference.
        RMS is tricky with whole assembly, since you are opening up part of the oil pan gasket and depending on how your oil pan gasket was put on last time (if it is old and brittle or there is a sea of RTV used), that's a whole other story.
        Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Hmm, so it looks like the pivot pin I used wasn't actually brass like a lot of the aftermarket pins, but silicon bronze which is a harder material. Made by AGA, bought it from FCP: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...YaAhoOEALw_wcB

Materials guys: think silicon bronze is strong enough vs brass that it wouldn't deform as badly?

I guess we'll see the next time my trans comes down. That'll probably be sometime this year, since I have a leak coming from the GPS to deal with and will probably do a SSK...

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
            Hmm, so it looks like the pivot pin I used wasn't actually brass like a lot of the aftermarket pins, but silicon bronze which is a harder material. Made by AGA, bought it from FCP: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...YaAhoOEALw_wcB

Materials guys: think silicon bronze is strong enough vs brass that it wouldn't deform as badly?

I guess we'll see the next time my trans comes down. That'll probably be sometime this year, since I have a leak coming from the GPS to deal with and will probably do a SSK...
            Brass is very malleable, so in your case bronze is better. See if you measure deformation once you take it out.
            Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

*checks records to find that I ordered a steel pin (back in 2017) wipes sweat from forehead* 😊
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by kaiv View Post

Don't.
                There's a reason the factory pin #21511223281 is steel
                My factory pivot pin was plastic and wasn't half bad when I replaced it with a new plastic pivot pin.

Comment

To be fair, Nylon isn't ordinary plastic.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

This was my pivot pin after 140k miles next to the new one. I think some people are just really harsh drivers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.42.46 PM.png
Views:	441
Size:	900.6 KB
ID:	11215

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post
                      This was my pivot pin after 140k miles next to the new one. I think some people are just really harsh drivers

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.42.46 PM.png
Views:	441
Size:	900.6 KB
ID:	11215
                      Interesting how there seems to be so much variation. Maybe it's an effect of failures being more compelling to report? Regardless, I'll update this thread with the condition of my pivot pin when I do all of this.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Interesting how there seems to be so much variation. Maybe it's an effect of failures being more compelling to report? Regardless, I'll update this thread with the condition of my pivot pin when I do all of this.
                        The vast majority are fine. Odds are yours will be among them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          pretty decent correlation between light weight flywheels and harmonic balancer failure
                          In ours cars or in general?
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

In ours cars or in general?
                            Believe that is specific to our cars, inline 6 crank is long and has a lot of oscillations...
                            Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

When I did the clutch in my 2001 at 164k miles in 2017, the factory original pin was loose in its socket having snapped halfway down the neck. Had the slave been removed for whatever reason, I'm sure it would have jumped its receiver. Who knows how long I drove with it like that...

Upon removal, the pin friction surface looked mostly normal, but the nylon was quite brittle. My guess is the OE part probably times out before it wears out from deformation. If you're designing a car for 10 years/100k miles, nylon is probably the best choice, but it's the scariest piece of that clutch system in an old car because you don't have any warning (like a noisy TOB or pilot bearing e.g.) I opted for the Rogue stainless pin.

My 2002 had had a clutch job performed and the original pin replaced, but I turned it into a track car and, after building the engine, installed a Rogue clutch kit with the steel LWFW. In the process, I decided it would be a good idea to bulletproof the pin with another Rogue stainless jobbie, but little did I know that when the shop replaced the original pin, they'd ever so slightly overbored the pin receiver (presumably removing the old pin). Pair that with a badly-adjusted adjustable-length slave cylinder pin, and the stainless pivot pin popped right out on me. I had to pull the trans and drill, tap, and hex screw the Rogue pin in place... Moral of the story: if you go stainless, be damn sure that thing isn't going anywhere before you button it up.
                              Last edited by ethan; 04-13-2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Believe that is specific to our cars, inline 6 crank is long and has a lot of oscillations...
                                Our engines are quite balanced, moreso because it's inline. There are only counter weights, no counter shaft. The firing order is evenly balanced. This part of why inline engines are so good. I'd love to drive an inline 8 though. I wonder if the efficiency significantly is less with two more cylinder or it's literally just engine bay that is restricting us from using them...

Either way, this is why I'm not worried about a lightweight flywheel. I'm bringing down longevity but not that much.
                                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                                X