Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Should I Change When I do My Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The length of the crank in an I6 is already an issue for high RPM motors (hence the torsional damper on the front.) I8 would be even worse and, as you mention, have still worse packaging.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine...linder_engines

Pretty much explains the S54 design decisions.
    Last edited by ethan; 04-13-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

There was a good paper on the old forum about all the oscillations and vibrations in the crank, I thought I saved it, but I can't find it. Believe it was posted by Drewster, IIRC. If anyone has it, please post up.
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

That link helped me understand quite a bit.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Don’t get a brass pin. It will likely deform and bend before you even install it. They don’t fit perfectly and need some persuasion

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
            Don’t get a brass pin. It will likely deform and bend before you even install it. They don’t fit perfectly and need some persuasion
            I find that all metal ones (brass, bronze, steel) require some filing down to fit properly into the bellhousing at proper height.
            Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

I find that all metal ones (brass, bronze, steel) require some filing down to fit properly into the bellhousing at proper height.
              Even the BMW steel pin (21511223281)?
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Even the BMW steel pin (21511223281)?
                I did steel on one of the trannies, diameter on the end going into bellhousing had to be filed. Maybe it was a bad batch few years ago.
                Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

I did steel on one of the trannies, diameter on the end going into bellhousing had to be filed. Maybe it was a bad batch few years ago.
                  Good to know. Thanks!
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

General comment on nvh that was mentioned earlier specific to the metal pins - with everyone running straight pipes, solid bushings, airboxes, nvh from the pin should be the last thing on your mind, lol.
                    Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

General comment on nvh that was mentioned earlier specific to the metal pins - with everyone running straight pipes, solid bushings, airboxes, nvh from the pin should be the last thing on your mind, lol.
                      I was just worried that it would introduce noise and clunks at low speeds. The dual mass flywheel does enough of that already. Seems like this is not the case though, so I ended up ordering the steel pin.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I was just worried that it would introduce noise and clunks at low speeds. The dual mass flywheel does enough of that already. Seems like this is not the case though, so I ended up ordering the steel pin.
                        There is no clunking because the fork is attached to the pin via a spring clip and the two surfaces are in constant contact, plus you grease the mating surfaces.

If your flywheel is making noise (especially apparent when shutting the car down), might be time to replace.
                        Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Since I'm the one that made that comment, I suppose I should point out that I'm running the SS street muffler (quieter than stock), resonators, cats, and oversized pipes (quieter than stock). Airbox is quiet at low throttle levels, drivetrain mounts (which are responsible for most bushing based NHV) are all stock, and the monoballs I do have are poly isolated :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post

My factory pivot pin was plastic and wasn't half bad when I replaced it with a new plastic pivot pin.
                            I meant the factory metal pin.

The E46 M3 factory pin is plastic and they do fail.

Attached Files
                            IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                            Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                            Alpine White 1 Series M
                            A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
                            T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Yeah, it's a close call for me-- close enough that I have a BMW metal pivot pin on the shelf that I opted not to install, but also didn't get rid of

It's basically comes down to the slight chance of a failure from the plastic one vs the guaranteed but pretty insignificant NHV increase from the metal one. I end up on new plastic, but I wouldn't fault anyone for going the other way.

... but definitely not brass.
                              Part that can fail vs part that can't. To me it's a no brainer!

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
                              I never noticed any NVH increase, and it is a stock piece on the 8 series...
                              It is very faint. A lot of people don't notice.

IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                              Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                              Alpine White 1 Series M
                              A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
                              T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

There is no clunking because the fork is attached to the pin via a spring clip and the two surfaces are in constant contact, plus you grease the mating surfaces.

If your flywheel is making noise (especially apparent when shutting the car down), might be time to replace.
                                Yeah my flywheel makes a ton of noise when shutting the car down and when pressing the clutch in quickly at low speeds. New one is on the way with the rest of the parts I ordered.

Comment

Working...
                                X