Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold start rattle 2-3 seconds then gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
    I'm having these exact same symptoms, funnily enough, it only started happening AFTER I completed my top end rebuild. It has been making a rattling, knock sort of noise for 1-2 seconds upon a cold start, it's always in the morning when the car has sat overnight. Vanos has been upgraded to Beisan and had less than 500 miles on it at the time, so I knew it wasn't that but I too searched high and low for the source. Sounds like you found the culprit for me, I appreciate you updating this thread. Going to order an OEM piece and get to work, most likely upgrade the pulleys since I'll be in that general area anyway.
    Good time to replace the oil filter housing gasket (11421719855) and oil cooler o rings (17222245358) too.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Cmamainer View Post
      No, I was in contact with a member from the old forum that went by the name "Zaharias", he was having the same exact issue and had rebuilt the vanos like I had and changed the rod bearings with no improvement. His mechanic recommended changing the oil filter housing believing that it was allowing oil to drain from the topend while sitting for extended periods such as overnight and it seems he was correct.
      How long was your oil pressure light staying on during cold starts? Seems like if that check valve was bad then it would take longer to build pressure.

Comment

A normal amount of time, the rattle only lasted around 1 to 2 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Good time to replace the oil filter housing gasket (11421719855) and oil cooler o rings (17222245358) too.
          The new filter housing comes with gasket and a BMW oil filter, no oil cooler O rings though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmamainer View Post

The new filter housing comes with gasket and a BMW oil filter, no oil cooler O rings though.
            Oh cool. Did not know that.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

think i may have this sound as well. does anybody have a video i can compare it to ?

Comment

I think I have a similar issue. After the car sits overnight, I get a rattle for the first 3-5 seconds on the first start. No prolonged oil light, and it won't happen if the car has been recently driven. The sound also ends very abruptly, like flipping a switch (or sufficient pressure built).

Going to try to pinpoint, but sounds like I'll be replacing the housing.
                Last edited by Lavatoad; 12-17-2023, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X