BlueBus: A fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will ZCPM3 View Post
    Hey Ted, any issue running and long USB cable to the unit and leaving it permanently attached? Would make for easier updating (not removing trim panels, etc).
    That's what I did. I have the USB A end of the cable behind the inner trunk light panel.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Will ZCPM3 View Post
      Hey Ted, any issue running and long USB cable to the unit and leaving it permanently attached? Would make for easier updating (not removing trim panels, etc).
      Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

That's what I did. I have the USB A end of the cable behind the inner trunk light panel.
      No issue, I totally agree with Heinz's solution.

Comment

Any reason you quit updating the firmware on github under releases?
        Last edited by dog2bert; 06-03-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dog2bert View Post
          Any reason you quit updating the firmware on github under releases?
          Yeah, nobody was going there to get it. Plus, downloading irregular files like that from GitHub is difficult for a lot of folks.

I'm struggling to come up with a good way of notifying ~500 people that there are updates to be had, so I'm open to suggestions.

I also forgot to mention that for Nav users, there is now an "About" page under "Settings" that shows things like your current firmware, the week and year your unit was provisioned / built, and its serial number.

Thanks!
          -Ted

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

Yeah, nobody was going there to get it. Plus, downloading irregular files like that from GitHub is difficult for a lot of folks.

I'm struggling to come up with a good way of notifying ~500 people that there are updates to be had, so I'm open to suggestions.

I also forgot to mention that for Nav users, there is now an "About" page under "Settings" that shows things like your current firmware, the week and year your unit was provisioned / built, and its serial number.

Thanks!
            -Ted
            i'd say with most products that i own, half of them notify me of updates, the other half i go to their website and check. at a bare minimum just a support page with a DL link w/a change log and of course, firmware ID, release date, and install instructions.
            on the same URL for support docs, people can sign up to get notifications. then it's just a regular mailgroup.

not too sophisticated, but does the job even if it's a bandaid until you come up with something else.
            '06 Carbon Black
            Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

-Ted
              An email newsletter wouldn't be a terrible idea if it's not every other day. Easy to set up and you already have the contact of the people, so might as well use that.
              BMW M340i G20 '21
              BMW M3e46 '04
              exBMW 120i f20 '16
              exBMW 328i Convertible e36 '96
              exBMW 628Csi e24 '87
              ex BMW 328i Coupé e36 '98
              ex BMW 530i e34 '89
              ex BMW 735i e23 '81

Comment

Originally posted by herwawan View Post

An email newsletter wouldn't be a terrible idea if it's not every other day. Easy to set up and you already have the contact of the people, so might as well use that.
                +1. Make it clear it's only for firmware update news and any urgent news (e.g. don't mount it this way or it will catch on fire) and I'm sure 99% of people would be fine with that.
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

All,

Just a heads up -- https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazona...bus_1_1_11.hex is the newest firmware. I recommend updating to it.

The following fixes were made from 1.1.9 and 1.1.10:

* Call volume doesn't cause music volume to go sky-high anymore

* Call volume is adjusted as the user adjusts the volume regularly so that the same audio level can be consistently achieved.

* BM24 users (EU) should now not have problems with the radio becoming unresponsive when using the unit with the BlueBus

* UI identification has been improved to prevent issues with the MKIII Nav units using the "older" (pre-version 40) UI

* Mini Cooper R53 users with Navigation can now summon the BlueBus menu using the "RND" button on the CD53.

The following features were added:

* Coolant temperature can now be added to the Navigation headers (Settings > UI > Temps)

Firmware update instructions can be found here: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...rmware-Upgrade

Thanks!
                  -Ted
                  Just installed the update. Thanks Ted.

It looks like there's a discrepancy between the call volume and media volume coming out of my phone (Samsung S10 with both volumes at 100%), as music is always louder than calls. Would it be possible to add the ability to adjust the volume during calls as well (on the BlueBus)? Right now, the call volume moves according to the music volume, but can only be adjusted outside of calls.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Just installed the update. Thanks Ted.

It looks like there's a discrepancy between the call volume and media volume coming out of my phone (Samsung S10 with both volumes at 100%), as music is always louder than calls. Would it be possible to add the ability to adjust the volume during calls as well (on the BlueBus)? Right now, the call volume moves according to the music volume, but can only be adjusted outside of calls.
                    HFP is shitty this way. Since it's a mono audio source, it's going to be lower in volume than the A2DP stream.

I remember you being a CD53 user, so may I could turn up the DAC gain based on input from the steering volume controls? Unfortunately, I can't alter the CD53 volume like I can the BM53 / DSP.

Thanks!
                    -Ted

Comment

HFP is shitty this way. Since it's a mono audio source, it's going to be lower in volume than the A2DP stream.

I remember you being a CD53 user, so may I could turn up the DAC gain based on input from the steering volume controls? Unfortunately, I can't alter the CD53 volume like I can the BM53 / DSP.

Thanks!
                      -Ted
                      That makes a lot of sense. Unfortunate that this is how it works.

About the DAC gain idea, I'm assuming this would mean that the steering wheel volume controls would control the regular volume during music playback and control the DAC gain during a call. Also assuming that this gain change would only affect the gain during calls. If so, I think this is a great solution. Thanks!

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. Unfortunate that this is how it works.

About the DAC gain idea, I'm assuming this would mean that the steering wheel volume controls would control the regular volume during music playback and control the DAC gain during a call. Also assuming that this gain change would only affect the gain during calls. If so, I think this is a great solution. Thanks!
                        Your assumption is correct. I will implement this in the next revision.

Thanks!
                        -Ted

Comment

Just got my Bluebus units today - Thanks Ted!

TL;DR: If you're having problems updating your firmware, change micro-usb cables or remove the Bluebus from the case to update.

Longer version:
                          The firmware tool wasn't recognizing the second unit. The drop-down menu still said "Select Device" instead of the serial number (I presume it's the serial number).

The cable I used couldn't fully mate with the connector because it was stopped by the case of the Bluebus. It was connected enough to light up the LED in the unit, but not enough to be recognized by the firmware tool. Uncased the unit and all's good (I didn't have another cable).

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                            Just got my Bluebus units today - Thanks Ted!

TL;DR: If you're having problems updating your firmware, change micro-usb cables or remove the Bluebus from the case to update.

Longer version:
                            The firmware tool wasn't recognizing the second unit. The drop-down menu still said "Select Device" instead of the serial number (I presume it's the serial number).

The cable I used couldn't fully mate with the connector because it was stopped by the case of the Bluebus. It was connected enough to light up the LED in the unit, but not enough to be recognized by the firmware tool. Uncased the unit and all's good (I didn't have another cable).
                            The com port is actually assigned by your computer

The BlueBus case doesn't work well with some USB cables and the sensitive data pair isn't mated well enough in some cases to provide a connection. A more slim cable end, or some sanding of the case will fix this issue. Sorry about this -- totally a deficiency in the BlueBus.

-Ted

Comment

The com port is actually assigned by your computer

The BlueBus case doesn't work well with some USB cables and the sensitive data pair isn't mated well enough in some cases to provide a connection. A more slim cable end, or some sanding of the case will fix this issue. Sorry about this -- totally a deficiency in the BlueBus.

-Ted
                              Oops, Sorry Ted, I didn't mean to imply something wrong with the BlueBus. It's a cable problem - the cable I used had a large molded end.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

Oops, Sorry Ted, I didn't mean to imply something wrong with the BlueBus. It's a cable problem - the cable I used had a large molded end.
                                Eh, the BlueBus could have a better USB port opening, honestly.

Thanks!
                                -Ted

Comment

Working...
                                X