The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

a $200 difference is absurd? please find me someone who'll come pay you 2 visits to do exactly what you're talking about for $300. want to see quote and all
    It takes a competent windshield guy less than 30 minutes to get most windshields out minus disconnecting and removing cameras and sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

It takes a competent windshield guy less than 30 minutes to get most windshields out minus disconnecting and removing cameras and sensors.
      Yeah. I'm sure we're all excited to use this competent, mysterious, and cheap windshield guy that can bust out the job in 30 minutes and gets paid $150 to do it.

Maybe some body shops who have relationships with their glass folks can get this type of pricing, but they're going to mark it up just like an interior designer does with furniture. At the end of the day, $100-$200 isn't going to kill me, and I'd rather make sure it's quality work.

I'm sure in some corner of the world there are glass removal/reinstall competitions where it can be done in 5 minutes. But to ask people to run a business, come to you to bust something out for a $150 just isn't right. Again, not sure who would actually do it, would love to find some proposals from actual business who would do it for that rate.
      Last edited by ugaexploder; 03-01-2024, 02:37 PM.
      /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

True, but you have to do the job twice on the roof, days apart. What's that run for 2 sessions? I hadn't gotten a quote for that before.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

Yeah. I'm sure we're all excited to use this competent, mysterious, and cheap windshield guy that can bust out the job in 30 minutes and gets paid $150 to do it.

Maybe some body shops who have relationships with their glass folks can get this type of pricing, but they're going to mark it up just like an interior designer does with furniture. At the end of the day, $100-$200 isn't going to kill me, and I'd rather make sure it's quality work.

I'm sure in some corner of the world there are glass removal/reinstall competitions where it can be done in 5 minutes. But to ask people to run a business, come to you to bust something out for a $150 just isn't right. Again, not sure who would actually do it, would love to find some proposals from actual business who would do it for that rate.
          OK there guy...just chillax. Come on over to Houston and I will gladly link you up with the guy who's installed thousands of windshields over the last 16 years that I've known him.

And after writing probably a hundred insurance estimates for windshield replacement...the top rate I would ever get is $200. Insurance will typically want to pay about $100-$150 since that is the prevailing rate.

But hey...then I clicked my heels and came back to reality...and to my surprise...the price was still $100 to R&R a windshield!
          Last edited by bigjae46; 03-01-2024, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

True, but you have to do the job twice on the roof, days apart. What's that run for 2 sessions? I hadn't gotten a quote for that before.
            When I was in KS installing the rollcage, I paid $100 to remove and $100 to install, showed up at my house. Its the only labor I've paid for my car in the last 10 years. I tried removing the glass - didn't care since I was installing lexan - but harbor freight tools didn't work out for me.

The trick will be removing the rear glass without breaking it if you plan to reuse it.

Comment

Originally posted by inlinesix123 View Post
              I want to do it, but i don't want to make my phoenix yellow look tacky, I also think painting it kind of defeats the purpose
              Conflicted.
              It's not tacky, CF roof on the PY looks good. Tacky is when you try to implement to much CF everywhere. Even the CSL scoops looks good.

Comment

OK there guy...just chillax. Come on over to Houston and I will gladly link you up with the guy who's installed thousands of windshields over the last 16 years that I've known him.

And after writing probably a hundred insurance estimates for windshield replacement...the top rate I would ever get is $200. Insurance will typically want to pay about $100-$150 since that is the prevailing rate.

But hey...then I clicked my heels and came back to reality...and to my surprise...the price was still $100 to R&R a windshield!
                Good for you man. I think I’ll pass on the 12-hour drive to save $100-$200. Wait, you probably know a guy who can do the drive in 10 hours.

Enough sample size to see ‘em all huh. Hey, I guess some things don’t change!

/// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

When I was in KS installing the rollcage, I paid $100 to remove and $100 to install, showed up at my house. Its the only labor I've paid for my car in the last 10 years. I tried removing the glass - didn't care since I was installing lexan - but harbor freight tools didn't work out for me.

The trick will be removing the rear glass without breaking it if you plan to reuse it.
                  Fair enough. But also remember the cost of living here in San Diego County is the highest in the nation as of recently. Gas is $4, rent is $2-4k/month, etc etc. It's not cheap to do business here but potential volume is nuts.

Comment

​
                    APEX photo shoot with a square 275 setup. Not my wheels as I have CSL.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Web-AdamC-E46-M3csl-18'-EC7-RS-F3Q-WM.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	256629

OE parts list for reference

41007895382 CSL Roof outer panel in Carbon
                    51137897925 Left CSL Roof Molding
                    51137897926 Right CSL Roof Molding
                    41328242075 BMW ROOF BOW
                    51442699065 BMW Headliner ITSSCHWARZ
                    51442268975 BMW Frame
                    51448171515 BMW Metal Bracket
                    51448250118 BMW Plate Cover
                    83190417144 BMW Epoxy​
                    Last edited by M3dragon; 03-07-2024, 08:45 AM.
                    Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

anyone know who makes the best fitting sedan roof?

Comment

Originally posted by 3uroslut View Post
                        nextelbuddy has a CF sedan roof I believe. He would know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

It's not tacky, CF roof on the PY looks good. Tacky is when you try to implement to much CF everywhere. Even the CSL scoops looks good.
                          I'll consider it, the weight savings up top are so worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

nextelbuddy has a CF sedan roof I believe. He would know.
                            He also has the sexiest e46 sedan in GA

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240305_120045_Textra.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	256352
                              Here's a parts list for my carbon roof install. This is all the stuff I had to order from the dealer. Luckily my friend works there and got me great prices on everything, but this does give you a good ballpark of necessary parts not including roof and headliner.
                              Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 03-05-2024, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3uroslut View Post
                                Vorstiner and I think ECS was making one but you need to ask for it as made to order.
                                Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

Working...
                                X