Supersprint exhaust system
    Coilover system like Ohlins, TC Kline, Bilstein etc

Hurt the value of an m3?

What about OEM parts like:
    OEM CSL trunk
    OEM CSL diffuser
    Euro header/cats
    CSL/ZCP wheels

Is it only 100% OEM cars only collectible?

I am restoring my m3 and am on the fence about what to return stock and what to leave modded. I was going for a clean OEM plus setup.
    Yes, I think it is true of all mods, except for OEM parts as you mentioned. You can't expect outside bidders (who are most likely to drive up prices) to know how to judge if "Karbonius" is any good. But everyone knows what OEM means.
    2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

Well, let’s not forget the old adage that you buy the Seller as much as the car. For modded cars, that requires the buyer to trust all the work AND the parts that went into it. That basically narrows your market down to this group, more or less. Most other people would rather trust BMW M (or themselves with the mods).

I personally think this one went for good money. Seller may have lost money on an all in basis but on some level I think we all know this when we go whole hog modding cars.

maw
      I knew I wasn't going to be made whole. Never expected to make the car + mods. next

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post

I knew I wasn't going to be made whole. Never expected to make the car + mods. next
        You really do buy the seller, and honestly your car was pretty spot on to what a lot of us generally consider quality. If i was in the market now, I'd want a car from a good owner that did quality mods with documentation like yours. Like Gt4 said most simps only know brand names, and others are lost on them. The nuance of modding to a certain standard is also lost on ppl unless you do it yourself. You see the same shit in the comments bug 3 done etc etc, some cars you just don't care. And most of the time you're gonna be redoing at least 1 of the 3, ask me how i know.

Well sold, sad to see another good one go man, this seasons been traumatic, COVID-19 has been lost as well. Moment of silence.
        2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

You really do buy the seller, and honestly your car was pretty spot on to what a lot of us generally consider quality. If i was in the market now, I'd want a car from a good owner that did quality mods with documentation like yours. Like Gt4 said most simps only know brand names, and others are lost on them. The nuance of modding to a certain standard is also lost on ppl unless you do it yourself. You see the same shit in the comments bug 3 done etc etc, some cars you just don't care. And most of the time you're gonna be redoing at least 1 of the 3, ask me how i know.

Well sold, sad to see another good one go man, this seasons been traumatic, COVID-19 has been lost as well. Moment of silence.
          For sure for sure. The guy I sold it to on BaT is extremely local and it seems we share similar contacts so I'm certain I can come visit it when we're in sync with each other. I'm happy to see it go to a fellow enthusiast for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
            But everyone knows what OEM means.
            They absolutely do not. I've been making PSAs for 10 years and people still don't get it.

You do not want OEM Bosch brake pads, for example. You want Genuine BMW if you have $ to burn, or OE(S) Textar (and jurid might be the rears, iirc)
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Those interested in modified cars are surely a much smaller market. It comes down to finding the right buyer. Someone just paid 40 grand for a 155k mile E36 m3 with Bilstein coilovers, GC camber plates, and sways. That person is clearly insane. But still, some are willing to shell out if the mods suit them. It is a gray area.

Comment

I think the answer to the "do the mods add value" question really comes down to the right buyer at the right time. I say this from a position of a completely stock, but very well cared for car, save for a Dinan SSK and K&N air filter and recently, a full SSV1 catted race system. I don't do "mods" because generally I agree most things hurt the value of the car, for multiple reasons, but I am OK with "OEM+" kind of stuff. Generally, the "experts" on BaT all hail to the "big 3" absolutely must having been performed or the car will immediately detonate upon purchase so I say those things are maybe more of a factor in a BaT, specifically.

My recent scenario, failed OEM cats put me in a spot where (to me, in my situation) it made sense to just do the full Supersprint system that I've always wanted to do anyway, and the recent GB pricing made it all make sense. I looked for euro headers/cats but used/new part pricing and availability was hit or miss, and it just made sense for me to do the SS system. Now, when I sell the car, I'd like to think the SS would at least not hurt the value, as opposed to advertising "brand new OEM cats" that I'd have paid not much less for and received zero performance/cosmetic gains. I guess I'll find out at some point.

I think it's great to see so many of these car being cared for though, and driven and used, no matter what the market really does. I've owned mine for 15 years, and at this point, it's worth what it's worth. When I'm done with it, I'm done with it and that's that. I won't be rich from it--maybe break even.

Comment

Not an E46 but this looks pretty nice. I have a coupe with the same interior, I'm low key considering dropping a bid if this doesn't go crazy lol

Bid for the chance to own a 1999 BMW M3 Convertible 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,995.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Anyone know of an interlagos car coming on an auction site soon?

Comment

Originally posted by audipwr1 View Post
                      Anyone know of an interlagos car coming on an auction site soon?
                      Hit up Mr. Wolfe. He was thinking about selling his. Its a really nicely done mint car. Expect to pay a pretty penny for it but its worth it IMO
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

On the point about people paying huge sums for these cars...

I'm not gonna say I'd spend like that, but I think I can see why low-mile and/or seemingly well maintained examples fetch huge premiums. I can imagine being willing to shell out if I felt it reduced the odds that I'd have to play maintenance whack-a-mole. Then I could focus on enjoying the car without fretting about stuff breaking. Just a thought.
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Sometimes proximity plays a role as well. A buyer might pay more than they should if a car is close by. Particularly so in less populated areas where sports cars like ours are far less common.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

While not an M3, here’s my beloved Touring on BAT.

Bid for the chance to own a S54-Powered 2000 BMW 323i Sport Wagon 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,739.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

They absolutely do not. I've been making PSAs for 10 years and people still don't get it.

You do not want OEM Bosch brake pads, for example. You want Genuine BMW if you have $ to burn, or OE(S) Textar (and jurid might be the rears, iirc)
                              I mean, that's a stretch. I was referring to something like "OEM CSL Intake" vs. "Karbonius CSL Intake". In the context of an online auction, brake pad brands aren't moving the needle in any direction, but I get your point.
                              2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

Hit up Mr. Wolfe. He was thinking about selling his. Its a really nicely done mint car. Expect to pay a pretty penny for it but its worth it IMO
                                thanks sent a pm

Comment

Working...
                                X