Side Finisher Rubber Replacement and Rear Side Window Trim Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
    Strange, when I did my 3M weather stripping I definitely didn't have any rivets to deal with, just screws, the trim pieces came off fairly easily.

I also don't think any of the previous owners had taken the trim off as the weather stripping was in bad shape.
    The rivet fastens a bracket to the aluminum finisher to allow the finisher to attach to the body and probably provide some degree of seal position control. The way the bracket fits is such that there is an interference with the rubber seal making it tough to position into place with a new seal. I’m still wondering if there wasn’t a better design—like integrate the bracket shape and mounting points into the aluminum trim and make some shape change on the rubber seal if necessary . Here are some photos of the area…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	224327
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	224330
    Attached Files

Comment

Had to sign up for an account to this forum just for this. In for 2 sets!

Comment

FWIW mine showed up awhile ago, looks good, if it's not OEM it could certainly pass for it.

Seems to be very good quality. When I install them I will post a pic.
        Last edited by 9kracing; 07-16-2023, 09:32 AM.
        2004 Dinan S3-R M3
        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Still scared to install mine bc of this rivet issue. And it’s like 105° here 😭
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Maybe a dumb question but does this rivet issue not come up if you choose to install the OP aftermarket weather stripping option? Is this something that’s only encountered with this OE style weather stripping?

Comment

Originally posted by nachizl8 View Post
              Maybe a dumb question but does this rivet issue not come up if you choose to install the OP aftermarket weather stripping option? Is this something that’s only encountered with this OE style weather stripping?
              No. The aftermarket stuff is just some generic weatherstripping that is forced into place, especially around the rivet area. It is kind of a ghetto solution to be honest. I do not remember seeing a rivet but it has been well over 3 years since I did the aftermarket fix. The install for the OEM one gotta be different.
              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Got it thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                  Still scared to install mine bc of this rivet issue. And it’s like 105° here 😭
                  This is exactly how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post

This is exactly how I feel.
                    Well you just drill out the rivet. I bought a Quinn rivet gun and rivet pack from harbor freight--1/8" Aluminum rivet back in, no problem. The issue is, seating the bracket. That bracket allows the finisher to attach to the body. Anyway, it's not THAT bad, it's just finicky. Make sure you line up your new seal to the tick mark in the trim finisher and stretch it to fit; hotter is better. And put a new foam seal over the riveted area to keep your paint from getting scraped by the bracket upon reassembly.

Comment

NO NEED TO REMOVE RIVET AND THE BRACKET ! JUST PULL OLD RUBBER OUT, SPRAY WD-40 AND SLIDE NEW STRIP IN.

Comment

Mine "arrived" today but post office has lost it lmao just my luck, hopefully it turns up tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by mthird View Post
                          NO NEED TO REMOVE RIVET AND THE BRACKET ! JUST PULL OLD RUBBER OUT, SPRAY WD-40 AND SLIDE NEW STRIP IN.
                          I'll try that method when I do the other side. The side I did do, there was no way the new rubber was going in there as far as I could see; but, I'll give your method a try.

Comment

It would be amazing if someone that installed these took pics and posted a writeup of how they did it for the rest of us slobs
                            2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                            2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I'l be waiting till after summer. Plenty of time for some of you to gift us with a pictoral guide.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I’ll have to suck it up and get it done in this heat within a week or so. Will try to make a DIY if successful.
                                Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                                Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X