Strut Mount and Camber Plate Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    It’s a subtle change and I can easily see how most would not notice the difference. I think this comes down to personal tolerance and feel. I will say the NVH difference for the RTABs was more pronounced than the front upper strut mounts. No clunking, just a different tone and feel from sharper impacts, a different sort of thud.
    Completely agree. Subtle differences for both that are easy to miss, especially if a bunch of other parts were changed at the same time or the car is already pretty loud. Differences really only became apparent for me after driving your car and mine back to back.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
      D-O Tbonem3 bigjae46 Ok so here is the followup email. This, clears it up, i think? 🤨

Me: About the dimensions you mention, which are you referring to? Is the strut shaft diameter the issue? Would love to hear more because I still don't understand the issue.​

TCK: Yes. Shaft diameter varies on M3 struts​.
      Thank you sir. Makes sense when you consider TCK has this on the page for the SA fronts:

This strut fits the following vehicles:

2003-2009 BMW Z4 2.5i, 3.0i, 3.0si
      1999-2005 BMW 323i, 325i, 328i, 330i, coupes, sedans, wagon, cabrio. (excl. xi AWD)

2001-2006 BMW M3 Coupe and Cabrio. (requires TC Kline camber plates on all E46 M3 because the OE shaft on the M3 is shorter and is also a larger diameter)

Last edited by D-O; 03-15-2024, 12:42 PM.
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Thank you sir. Makes sense when you consider TCK has this on the page for the SA fronts:

This strut fits the following vehicles:

2003-2009 BMW Z4 2.5i, 3.0i, 3.0si
        1999-2005 BMW 323i, 325i, 328i, 330i, coupes, sedans, wagon, cabrio. (excl. xi AWD)

2001-2006 BMW M3 Coupe and Cabrio. (requires TC Kline camber plates on all E46 M3 because the OE shaft on the M3 is shorter and is also a larger diameter)

Nice find!

So where that leaves us is simply using any camber plates but with the proper sleeve...or non-m, correct?

Comment

I have been leaning towards the Turner street or hybrid, but the fact that they no longer offer 14mm spacers or 60mm perches means sourcing and pressing in your own spacers (which someone has done using off the shelf spacers from McMaster-Carr - Tbone has done it as well, but I don't know where he sourced the spacers), and figuring something out for the perch. The other options I am considering are the Vorschlag "racing" camber plates, Ground Control Streets, or figuring out how to make the E36 hats work.
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I've installed GCs on a few cars and not everyone makes noise, but of all the cars I've installed camber plates onto its the GC ones that make noise... and primarily its popping with low speed turns. We generally don't install GCs anymore.

Right now we put:
            -Vorshlag on track focused cars.
            -TMS on street cars that need more camber OR planning for the future/don't want to buy stock when you can buy these at a similar price.
            -Stock on "OE" cars.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Yes! It’s the popping at low speeds. It’s now a vague memory for me but thanks for chiming in, I don’t want to be the outlier here crapping on GC units lol

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                I've installed GCs on a few cars and not everyone makes noise, but of all the cars I've installed camber plates onto its the GC ones that make noise... and primarily its popping with low speed turns. We generally don't install GCs anymore.

Right now we put:
                -Vorshlag on track focused cars.
                -TMS on street cars that need more camber OR planning for the future/don't want to buy stock when you can buy these at a similar price.
                -Stock on "OE" cars.
                I know its a loaded question, but how much harsher are the Vorshlags than the Turners?

Also - any tips on a 60mm spring perch for the Turners?

Thanks.
                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I know its a loaded question, but how much harsher are the Vorshlags than the Turners?

Thanks.
                  I didn’t notice a difference in ride between the Ground control and Vorshlags on my E90. The GCs were always clunking Driven both on the street and track.

I’ve only had the Vorshlags on my E46.

Comment

I think that's going to be hard to answer because I've never done a back to back test with the plates being the only change. I think the solid spherical bearing is likely harder on strut towers I generally prefer to have something "softer" for street cars. Whether that's a real concern or not, IDK. With that said most people making this change are going to a stiffer spring anyways vs stock and worn out. If you are hyper sensitive then maybe you will, I would imagine that most don't unless we are talking about a high speed impact and even then, maybe?

Sorry, don't have an answer for you here.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      Just guessing here, but I bet it has to do with 14mm versus 16mm shaft and/or maybe the square shoulder (koni) versus tapered (bilstein).

I solved my issue (that TMS plates only work with 16mm not 14mm - my MCS are 14mm) by using some bronze bearings that were 14mm ID and 16mm od. It perfectly picked up the slack and filled out the TMS bearing 16mm ID.

If anyone has a specific question about fitment or compatability, feel free to PM me. Once I know the details, I bet I can figure it out.
                      Do you still have the part number and where you ordered the bearings from?

Comment

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

r4dr reports that 6679K18 from McMaster-Carr will work as well. I wish I had a good coilover option other than Ohlins that is compatible with the stock upper mount.

It looks like the Turner plates have a bushing that is sleeved for a 16mm shaft (stock-sized shaft, maybe?). My MCS are 14mm, which seems to be pretty common in the aftermarket. There's 2mm of play there, which doesn't seem great to me. Has anyone run into this before? Do I need to sleeve the shaft to match the 16mm ID of the
                          Last edited by D-O; 03-21-2024, 10:39 AM.
                          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
                            Yes! It’s the popping at low speeds. It’s now a vague memory for me but thanks for chiming in, I don’t want to be the outlier here crapping on GC units lol
                            when i had TCK camber plates with this problem a race shop diagnosed it as too much stiction in the bearing. I emailed TCK about it and they said it was a small batch problem with some of their camber plates and replaced it for me free of charge (minus shipping).

Comment

Working...
                            X