Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car is completely stock right now, so took it in for a baseline dyno run.

Here's the setup:
    • 126270 mi
    • 100% stock US spec pre-facelift M3
    • Converted MSS54 running stock 2501 HP software
    • All engine maintenance done
      • Rod bearings replaced ~13k mi ago
      • VANOS done ~13k mi ago, passes VANOS test with no issues
      • Engine retimed ~2k mi ago
      • Valve adjustment done ~2k mi ago
    • No mechanical fan, just aux
    • Dynoed at Sonoma racetrack so altitude is ~sea level
    • 70ºF ambient temp
    • Dyno said 50% humidity, weather app said 90%, so unfortunately no clear answer for that
    • All O2s are original, got new ones in a box ready to go in when my V1s arrive, but potentially left some power on the table because of this
    • Running Shell V-Power 91 octane
    Click image for larger version  Name:	All Runs.png Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	118155
    269 max WHP, 230 max WTQ

First three runs were done back to back with one fan flowing air into the radiator. Fourth run was done after letting the car cool down for ~5 min and pointing another fan at the driver's side fog light area. I've attached all the individual runs to this post in case anyone wants to take a look at them.

Results were pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I think I told the dyno operator I was expecting to see 270 WHP. I'll be back when I get my CSL airbox back on and then back again when the V1s go on to get a full dyno tune.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 08-01-2021, 09:36 AM.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

What fuel?
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Dyno said 50% humidity, weather app said 90%, so unfortunately no clear answer for that
        If it was near any sort of climate control, I would suspect that 50% is closer to being accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          What fuel?
          91, forgot to mention that. I'll update the post.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

If it was near any sort of climate control, I would suspect that 50% is closer to being accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Shop door was wide open before the dyno runs, but yeah I'm inclined to believe it was closer to 50%.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Nice, about what I would expect on a DJ from a stock M3...seen them anywhere from 260-280-ish stock. Should see some nice improvements from the V1's and a tune! Thanx for contributing to the database!

Comment

Are you going to swap the CSL airbox out every 2 years for smog?

Comment

Originally posted by eXpensiveGears View Post
                Are you going to swap the CSL airbox out every 2 years for smog?
                Yeah. No big deal though. Can get everything swapped from CSL to stock (or vice versa) in about two hours.

I'm doing headers soon though, and I'm definitely not looking forward to swapping those out every two years. Hopefully I can get away with leaving all the heat shields on to cover them up, but we'll see.

Comment

Yeah. No big deal though. Can get everything swapped from CSL to stock (or vice versa) in about two hours.

I'm doing headers soon though, and I'm definitely not looking forward to swapping those out every two years. Hopefully I can get away with leaving all the heat shields on to cover them up, but we'll see.
                  WTF they go that deep into checking, you have to remove your heat shields? Thats bonkers man.
                  2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

WTF they go that deep into checking, you have to remove your heat shields? Thats bonkers man.
                    Lol, I worded that a bit poorly. No they don't make you remove your heat shields.

I meant to say that I'll put all the heat shields back on when I do headers, instead of leaving them off like I see a lot of people do.

Comment

Lol, I worded that a bit poorly. No they don't make you remove your heat shields.

I meant to say that I'll put all the heat shields back on when I do headers, instead of leaving them off like I see a lot of people do.
                      I've done headers twice, not fun, and yah def keep heat shields on. Negligible weight penalty and pretty decent heat deflection.
                      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

Comment

Heres an update on my car/tune. Last time it was Turner box V1, oem euro header, and scza as power mods. In the mean time I've redone the rod bearings a second time due to a shops incompetence here in Toronto, went to RMP finally and will do so for the foreseeable future. Other maintenance, rebuilt injectors @132k miles (no notice of last time they were done or replaced), cleaned everything I could during that like the air rail/valves etc. Fit Tuner V2 body. I wanted to do the sparkplugs but that was one of the first maintenance items I tackled upon taking ownership at 113.5k miles, NGKs oem and new Coil packs as well.

The big change was SSv1, SS straight sec 1 and SS sec 2 resonated. SCZA is kept as is. Car is on EC7R 18x9.5s around 20lbs or a little under based on Apex's site.

Tuned with Hassan again, however I could not get time on the same Dynojet as last time, used another that had time available.

Baseline:
                        IMG_20210722_164734

This was the first run. When I first fit the headers on and started driving without a tune I felt a slight dyno butt increase, if anything just more oomph in the midrange. Quickly got accustomed to it.

Best run, I think this was the 4th run:
                        IMG_20210722_170420

For reference CAE is 321whp/243wtq I have the print outs in my car will update with pic later. We did more runs about 3 or 4 after and at that point the car was heat soaked despite the shops nice setup, power output was creeping down. Overall ~10whp from the baseline is great, whats better is the improved driveability, noticed that right away. As always Hassan is amazing to deal with, cant recommend him enough.

I thought this setup would see a bit more of an increase if I'm honest, maybe closer to ~15whp and comparable wtq gain. However like last time, Hassan mentioned that the fuel we have here Petro 94 doesnt come close to hitting the same timings as cars in Cali running 91. It was the same story last tune we did in Aug 2020. I have started looking into the quality of the octane rating for the various fuel providers here in Canada, and wonder if maybe Esso 93 is comparably better. The shop owners that are mostly a Mopar outfit, say that Esso 93 performs better on the cars they tune. Octane boosters are an option but thats also an unknown field to me, if some of you have experiences in this area fuel/octane would love to learn.

For reference this is the setup fan wise, which was adequate I guess:

IMG_20210722_170041

Video of a run, maybe its the best run. Ambient temps were at 30C almost or 80F:

VID_20210722_155407

Very fun experience as always. Authentic Performance in Toronto hosted me and my brother with his E36 M3 build, great group of guys and great pricing, highly recommended as well.

Overall 10/10 would do again, love how this thing drives after it gets tuned, much cleaner power delivery. My advice would be tune asap after a header/exhaust job like this, dont drive for 2 months like I did.

Comment

You will more power with shell 91.

Don't want you money on any 94 BS in Ontario.

Shell 91 is higher quality fuel with better ingredients than all the others.

That including Sunoco 94.

Last edited by ZiMMie; 08-09-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26617.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	121383 Here is the dyno at TTFS. Baseline was 305 ish whp, but the line is not on this chart.
                            Power mods: Supersprint V1, Hi flow cats, oem sec 2, race muffler, Rogue power pullies.
                            Last edited by scotty737; 08-17-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

S54 E36 M3 with stock US headers, bimmerworld y-pipe, Stromung muffler and Karbonius intake on an HTE Alpha N tune.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	AC3C4359-9723-4905-8DC7-1940D671AF1A.jpeg
Views:	730
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	124154
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                                S54 E36 M3 with stock US headers, bimmerworld y-pipe, Stromung muffler and Karbonius intake on an HTE Alpha N tune.
                                Pretty strong numbers for stock US headers...thanx for adding to the database!

Comment

Working...
                                X