Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlimited Money-What is your first move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Re: S85, power is secondary... V10 noises is primary otherwise I'd swap a B/S58. And I think the DCT accentuates the S85 nature. The 8HP has made my S54 a riot to drive at RPM, can only imagine the similar experience with an S85.

With all of that said if you go to a track day with any long straights an S54 street car (and some race cars) are getting killed on the straights by just about everything made in the last 10 yrs.
    .....and if the E46 M3 driver has well-developed skill, he catches the higher HP car in the turns. Straight line speed proves nothing.

Comment

1. P60B40 with a full container of spare parts
      2. Xtrac transaxle sequential gearbox
      3. Custom double wishbone conversion front and rear with pushrod coilovers

But hell, with unlimited money one could just buy a Valkyrie and that boat loaded with hookers...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

.....and if the E46 M3 driver has well-developed skill, he catches the higher HP car in the turns. Straight line speed proves nothing.
        It does when you are at a long straight track.... Take CoTA... A good driver can catch a poor driver between T3-10, maybe even T11, but going down the 0.5+ mile long back straight away that high HP car you just spent all the time catching... he's gonna drive away from you. Then you get to repeat this process from T12-T18, maybe you'll get a pass going into 19 or 20 but if you don't... he's going to drive out of your life again on the front straight. Then the process happens all over again.

***Edit, for data when I swapped the 2.5L/5MT that made 171whp in my car with the 300whp S54/6MT the car picked up 11 seconds with no other changes at CoTA, 7 seconds were on the back straight away alone IIRC.
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

1. Suspension. Probably MCS 4-way.
          2. Slon brace
          3. CF roof with full exterior repaint

Suspension wins for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
            I'd create a re-imagined E46 M3 with a carbon body & monocoque, but retaining its original S54 and DCT optionally.
            I'd love to see the e46 get the Singer treatment.

Definitely retain the manual though. A proper racing driver to me is more like Jim Clark than any of the current guys.

Wouldn't an s85 ruin the weight distribution? And part of the allure of this car is the heritage it carries being the last proper racing straight-six.

Choosing another car is missing the point of OP's thread, I think, but then F40, Kirkham 289 Cobra, e9 CSL.

Comment

I'd create a re-imagined E46 M3 with a carbon body & monocoque, but retaining its original S54 and DCT optionally.
              Reminds me of what Ruf created, carbon chassis 911.

I can't seem to get the link to populate correctly, copy / paste this: https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-55...ooled-porsches
              Last edited by Will; 10-28-2023, 08:18 PM. Reason: fix link. and words.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                Wouldn't an s85 ruin the weight distribution? And part of the allure of this car is the heritage it carries being the last proper racing straight-six.
                Won't be 50/50 but I can't imagine it would be terrible. My track car was 53/47 and it felt OK...could feel the understeer under hard braking. But as George Hill has said, you do it for the sound and because you want a V10 in an E46.

Just looking at two V10 swaps on youtube the biggest physical challenges are significantly reduced with a dry sump oil pan. I think a lot of other issues are fixed with an aftermarket ECU. With a dry sump, ECU, and dash - looking at another $12k on top of the engine? But wow...the car would sound amazing!
                Last edited by bigjae46; 10-29-2023, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see the e46 get the Singer treatment.

Definitely retain the manual though. A proper racing driver to me is more like Jim Clark than any of the current guys.

Choosing another car is missing the point of OP's thread, I think, but then F40, Kirkham 289 Cobra, e9 CSL.
                  It has been on my mind to raise funding to do this. I genuinely think the E46 is the only chassis that would fetch the dollar figures it requires to make this a reality.

I've built up interesting connections over the years. I'd love to pursue this.

Originally posted by Will View Post

Reminds me of what Ruf created, carbon chassis 911.

I can't seem to get the link to populate correctly, copy / paste this: https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-55...ooled-porsches
                  1250 kgs, wow! What a dream this must be to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Won't be 50/50 but I can't imagine it would be terrible. My track car was 53/47 and it felt OK...could feel the understeer under hard braking. But as George Hill has said, you do it for the sound and because you want a V10 in an E46.

Just looking at two V10 swaps on youtube the biggest physical challenges are significantly reduced with a dry sump oil pan. I think a lot of other issues are fixed with an aftermarket ECU. With a dry sump, ECU, and dash - looking at another $12k on top of the engine? But wow...the car would sound amazing!
                    YevsBuilds / Eugene is doing this currently in his own garage. He's turning it into a track car and has documented the process a lot on YouTube and IG.

Definitely a must follow. He's also an E39 M5 owner.

Comment

Beyond major engine/transmission swaps:

1. A nice set of coilovers, I know nothing but BC's..
                      2. Either some BBS or OEM CSL wheels
                      3. CF roof
                      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                      Instagram

Comment

Buy an s70/2 and make it fit in the e46 m3 chassis. Or build a billet s70/2 and fit it
                        Last edited by Syfon; 10-29-2023, 09:13 PM.

Comment

YevsBuilds / Eugene is doing this currently in his own garage. He's turning it into a track car and has documented the process a lot on YouTube and IG.

Definitely a must follow. He's also an E39 M5 owner.
                          I saw that. I also saw Driftwork's swap - they originally tried a dry sump oil pan. It would have worked great except for the pump is on the right side of the engine and...because RHD...the steering column wouldn't fit. I'd probably go the dry sump route. I think Yves did a much better job on the cooling system.

Comment

If I ever blow up my S54 and wreck the M6 I may have to try an S85 swap someday. Might just end up with an E46 M3 w/a blown S85 in the end.

I totally dig these swaps but one better have some ability to do metal fab etc. so you dont have to spend 10k for some shop to maybe pull it off. Better start with learning to weld.
                            It's incredible to me just how expensive these dry sump kits are, but it seems the way to go most definitely.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

1: Complete respray in Chrome Shadow Metallic
                              2: CSL exhaust
                              3: CSL air box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                              Build Thread:
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Wouldn't an s85 ruin the weight distribution?
                                Full weight/interior street car S85 touring with 6MT and AC

Similar same setup but S54 and not corner balanced.

************************​ IIRC the fuel tanks were 4-5 gallons different in fill quantity.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                                IMO the biggest challenge is the steering shaft, it goes right through some exhaust port outlets. DME's can now be CAS deleted to run stand alone. But running an MSS65 DME and stock cluster is still a challenge, Awron has a solution, but I'm not sure its the best route. Put a datalogger/dash in it though and problem solved.
                                Last edited by George Hill; 10-30-2023, 05:54 AM.
                                '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                                Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                                Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                                X