No announcement yet.

Where's your IAT? (CSL guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocated it to the top of the little duct that feeds up from the bumper with a US spec sensor and switched my tune to US spec IAT scaling. Much better now: 25-40 above ambient at idle, but in motion it drops to 2-10 above ambient. But now the real question is: am I just lying to my DME?
    Last edited by ATB88; 06-03-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Just went out to test this. I've got a Karbonius box and Karbonius snorkel with the IAT in the stock location. Driving around town intake temps were around 120F with outside at 60F. Max temp I saw was 138F. Cruising at ~80mph on the highway the temps went down but only to 88F.

So yeah 60+F above ambient when driving around town and 28F above ambient on the highway tells me that the sensor is getting heatsoaked.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
        Just moved mine tonight and switched to US Spec. Scaling to account for the different sensor.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_191207.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	30575 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_191157.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	30576
        Oh my... you really drilled into the flap? Lol

Comment

Here is mine... drilled upstream into the charge pipe. My temps are 2 degrees above outside temps.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by x Spades x; 06-09-2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post
            Here is mine... drilled upstream into the charge pipe. My temps are 2 degrees above outside temps.
            Very nice! Where did you source that IAT female connector fitting that I assume is glued on?
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post
              Looks good. I would still go with the Generic sensor though like Cubieman. I feel like the CSL sensor is prone to more damage if it’s before the filter. (That’s how it is on my streamline airbox and I can already see a few bugs/debris on the filter)
              06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Very nice! Where did you source that IAT female connector fitting that I assume is glued on?
                The sensor clips into the threaded coupler... and the coupler screws into the charge pipe. No glue involved.

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

Looks good. I would still go with the Generic sensor though like Cubieman. I feel like the CSL sensor is prone to more damage if it’s before the filter. (That’s how it is on my streamline airbox and I can already see a few bugs/debris on the filter)
                  Mines has been in this spot for 70k miles... looks perfect

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                    Relocated it to the top of the little duct that feeds up from the bumper with a US spec sensor and switched my tune to US spec IAT scaling. Much better now: 25-40 above ambient at idle, but in motion it drops to 2-10 above ambient. But now the real question is: am I just lying to my DME?
                    Have a photo of where you mounted it? Are you guys just drilling into to get it mounted?

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I've recently read that the CSL IAT sensor is less prone to heat soak. The measurements here: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...esults.121512/ seem to support this, but could just be noise. They're also missing a "CSL IAT at stock CSL location" data point which would be nice to see.

Anyone else make any measurements like this comparing the "US" sensor vs CSL sensor air temps at different locations?

Also wondering if anyone has tried putting some kind of heat reflective insulation around the part of the sensor that sticks out into the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post

Have a photo of where you mounted it? Are you guys just drilling into to get it mounted?
                        I don't, but can take one next time I go out to the car. Yeah honestly just drilling into the side of that small plastic duct that goes into the engine bay from the bumper brake duct, I just picked a place on the duct at random

Originally posted by Anders93 View Post
                        I've recently read that the CSL IAT sensor is less prone to heat soak. The measurements here: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...esults.121512/ seem to support this, but could just be noise. They're also missing a "CSL IAT at stock CSL location" data point which would be nice to see.

Anyone else make any measurements like this comparing the "US" sensor vs CSL sensor air temps at different locations?

Also wondering if anyone has tried putting some kind of heat reflective insulation around the part of the sensor that sticks out into the engine bay.
                        Isn't the issue with putting the CSL sensor anywhere but the stock location that it's an exposed wire sensor (unlike the E39/E36 sensor), so it'll start to malfunction as it gets dirty? That guy reports good success with the CSL sensor on the snorkel but I don't think that would hold up long term. I think the CSL sensor is only usable if it's behind a filter, which it won't be if it's anywhere but the stock location bung. Thoughts from experts? Would like to be wrong about this

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

I don't, but can take one next time I go out to the car. Yeah honestly just drilling into the side of that small plastic duct that goes into the engine bay from the bumper brake duct, I just picked a place on the duct at random

Isn't the issue with putting the CSL sensor anywhere but the stock location that it's an exposed wire sensor (unlike the E39/E36 sensor), so it'll start to malfunction as it gets dirty? That guy reports good success with the CSL sensor on the snorkel but I don't think that would hold up long term. I think the CSL sensor is only usable if it's behind a filter, which it won't be if it's anywhere but the stock location bung. Thoughts from experts? Would like to be wrong about this
                          Appreciate it!
                          What are you using to plug the stock CSL sensor bung? I was thinking to just put the spare CSL sensor in the socket to plug the hole if I run the IAT relocation kit with the e36 sensor.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post

Appreciate it!
                            What are you using to plug the stock CSL sensor bung? I was thinking to just put the spare CSL sensor in the socket to plug the hole if I run the IAT relocation kit with the e36 sensor.
                            Yeah I just left the stock CSL sensor in the bung.

Comment

BUMP

Anybody using anything other than a spare/bad IAT to plug the hole in a karbonius airbox?

I have the M5 IAT sensor, not E46 CSL, so it won't fit, plus I want to put it closer to my ducting anyway.

Thinking that a black rubber plug (blind plug per BMW) would be nice and discreet, but I don't have measurements yet. Anyone know the ID of the Karb's IAT port?

Thanks
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I'm using one of these to cover the OE IAT port.

I have a few more somewhere around here if anyone wants to buy one.
                                "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                                ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Working...
                                X