No announcement yet.

SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, need some help. Just did this for a friend and I am getting a no crank no start situation. Any tips? I went over the DIY and it seems I have done everything accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
      Guys, need some help. Just did this for a friend and I am getting a no crank no start situation. Any tips? I went over the DIY and it seems I have done everything accordingly.
      Is it completely dead like you're trying to start the car without pressing the clutch? If so, I'd start by investigating the wiring around the pedals. I can't think of anything else that would cause this, other than the starter itself not receiving power.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
        I had an issue like this, and it was just one of the EWS pins not being fully seated.
        2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Is it completely dead like you're trying to start the car without pressing the clutch? If so, I'd start by investigating the wiring around the pedals. I can't think of anything else that would cause this, other than the starter itself not receiving power.
          My thinking as well.
          2003.5 Carbon Black ///M3 @_weaponM
          MCS | Supersprint | CAE | TC Design | Momo | Schroth | Rogue | Turner | Bimmerworld | Vorshlag | Hyperco | AKG

Comment

MartynHassanEido

Thanks for your suggestions guys, it was weird that it was coding. Martyn did an amazing job and jumped on and coded the car while HTE did his awesome tune and it started straight up. Thanks guys.

Comment

Has anyone ever had a whirring sound after conversion? I tracked down a manual bellhousing, but I traded my SMG one for it.

The noise sounds a lot like a bad input shaft bearing. It hums at idle and goes away once the clutch is disengaged. When driving, it makes a number of different noises that vary with RPM. Everything besides the flywheel is new OEM. Flywheel is original and has just under 100k.

Is there any way the bellhousing could be misaligned? Also, I see it was asked earlier with no response, but has anyone ever found a way to replace the input shaft bearings in these, or should I start tracking down another SMG transmission to have machined?

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFivePointOh View Post
                I tracked down a manual bellhousing, but I traded my SMG one for it.
                ... and I traded... instead of ...but I traded ...?

So you installed the bell housing from another tranny? I had suggested before that doing this way is risky and might end up with a crushed and noisy input shaft bearing. Modify the original bell housing is the way to go.

and even if you can replace with new bearing, it must be measured to have the proper thickness bearing shim washer or it will be noisy again.
                Last edited by sapote; 07-20-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                  So you installed the bell housing from another tranny? I had suggested before that doing this way is risky and might end up with a crushed and noisy input shaft bearing. Modify the original bell housing is the way to go.
                  Yep, it's from a car that came from the factory as a manual. Makes sense now. Wish I'd thought of it before, but it seemed like others have had success doing it this way.

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                  and even if you can replace with new bearing, it must be measured to have the proper thickness bearing shim washer or it will be noisy again.
                  How is this measured and is there a spec for it? It hasn't been run long so I might give it a try if I can track down shims.

Comment

Does anyone here know why the OP used this method for wiring the pin 2 clutch switch(to pin 13 wire on SMG ECU, then ground wire from SMG ECU to pin 20 on x60002)? Other DIY guides wire pin 2 directly to pin 20 on x60002 - hoping to find the reason why and possibly a solution to my cruise control not working 🤔

Comment

I'd love to get my cruise working also. Bump for any advice on this.

Comment

I just finished the swap yesterday and used an RTD shifter w/ a DSSR. I get a pretty loud metallic sound coming from the transmission/linkage area when shifting into second gear. Does anyone know what this sound might be caused by? No other gears make this loud of a sound when shifting into.

Comment

Originally posted by Distinct View Post
                          I'm a subscriber to this channel on youtube and they released a detailed and well filmed/hosted video on their SMG to 6MT conversion. I really like these guys and I thought the video is great.

This is part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDThhOoVGIc
                          Could what he did at 14.55 in the video be the solution to shifter slop? Sounds promising and that thing did look solid.
                          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

Could what he did at 14.55 in the video be the solution to shifter slop? Sounds promising and that thing did look solid.
                            I've been chasing a sloppy shifter ever since I got my car. Replaced all bushings multiple times. Latest thing I've done is replace all detent springs in the transmission and upgrade to an AutoSolutions autocross SSK. There was no slop between the transmission and shifter carrier even with the regular pin. There's still about 10mm of side to side play in my shifter.

I've basically given up now and am pretty certain that all the slop that's left is internal to the transmission. Looking at pictures of the bellhousing, there seem to be gaps between the detent bearing and the detent pins, which is potentially the source of the slop. At this point I'm just planning on swapping in an E92 335 transmission whenever I've run out of other things to do.

(Rant over) I you've got slop in that connection though, the SMG bolt thing might be worth doing. It'll also get rid of that stupid pin lol.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

Oh cool. I actually did this when I did my swap because I just could not get the manual pin into the hole. It seemed like my SMG bolt had, in the past, been tightened a little too hard and the aluminum hold had warped every so slightly such that getting he manual pin into the hole was now totally impossible. So I just re-used the SMG bolt. I honestly see no reason why they don't just use the SMG bolt on the manuals to begin with, that pin thing sucks.

Also, cheesy nostalgia: Man, every time I see this thread bump back up to the top I'm reminded of how much of an adventure this swap was. Was my second time really working on a car (first was a clutch job on a MK1 Audi TT), and I've learned a ton since then. Can't believe it's been 2 years!
                              Last edited by ATB88; 08-22-2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
                                I just finished the swap yesterday and used an RTD shifter w/ a DSSR. I get a pretty loud metallic sound coming from the transmission/linkage area when shifting into second gear. Does anyone know what this sound might be caused by? No other gears make this loud of a sound when shifting into.
                                I used the same shifter and rod. I don't seem to have any slop in any gears. I'd guess it's not an adjustment but something that's worn.
                                Does yours center between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th?

Comment

Working...
                                X