SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ob917 View Post

I used the same shifter and rod. I don't seem to have any slop in any gears. I'd guess it's not an adjustment but something that's worn.
    Does yours center between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th?
    I adjusted it so it centers between 3rd and 4th and its not a slop problem I'm having. It's just that when the car is driving and I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd, I get a loud clunk sound coming from the tranny area. It's strange, doesn't happen in any other gears and doesn't happen when the car is off. Can't be the guibo either since I just replaced that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pace View Post
      Does anyone here know why the OP used this method for wiring the pin 2 clutch switch(to pin 13 wire on SMG ECU, then ground wire from SMG ECU to pin 20 on x60002)? Other DIY guides wire pin 2 directly to pin 20 on x60002 - hoping to find the reason why and possibly a solution to my cruise control not working 🤔
      He had a quote a few steps down...
      "*Note that it is NOT necessary to do anything with pin 2 on the clutch switch in order to get the car to run. This connection is purely for the function of the cruise control in conjunction with the gear recognition sensor that was installed in the tapped M14 hole in the transmission. Also note that even wired correctly, your cruise control will NOT function until the car has been recoded with the proper 6MT tune."

Comment

Without a car lift this would be a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by hemi6 View Post
          Without a car lift this would be a nightmare.
          just did it w/o a lift, really not that bad

Comment

For those who have done the wiring as mentioned in the original post (with gear position switch connected), it says, "Next connect the ground connector from the SMG ECU to the DME pin 20 at connector x60002 (24 pin black connector) next to the 9 pin power connector on the engine DME. Note that pin 20 on the DME is blank, and you will need to disassemble it and insert the wire with a female pin that will click into place."

Is the original poster referring to the brown ground connector wires, circled in green, this photo:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pin 2 to dme wiring connectors.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	56052

So I am suppose to connect any brown wire, circled in green, to the blue pin 20 wire at x60002 circled in green?

Thanks in advance!
            www.twinperformanceengineering.com

Comment

subbed! Very detailed DIY.. thanks to the creator..

Comment

Anyone in/around OH/KY/IN/PA/MI that wants to help me with this? Willing to travel farther too!

Comment

Originally posted by TPE View Post
                  For those who have done the wiring as mentioned in the original post (with gear position switch connected), it says, "Next connect the ground connector from the SMG ECU to the DME pin 20 at connector x60002 (24 pin black connector) next to the 9 pin power connector on the engine DME. Note that pin 20 on the DME is blank, and you will need to disassemble it and insert the wire with a female pin that will click into place."

Is the original poster referring to the brown ground connector wires, circled in green, this photo:
                  So I am suppose to connect any brown wire, circled in green, to the blue pin 20 wire at x60002 circled in green?

Thanks in advance!
                  Perfect timing on this question... this is where I am on mine as well. Subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by wsybert View Post

Perfect timing on this question... this is where I am on mine as well. Subscribed!
                    I am at this part as well. The only thing I am confused about here is doesn’t the SMG ECU get removed at the end? Based on the instructions it seems pin 2 from the clutch switch goes to the SMG ECU and then the SMG ECU gets connected to the main DME. I know this is only for cruise control but shouldn’t there be a method that just takes pin2 of the clutch switch directly to the DME so the SMG ECU can be deleted. Has anyone done the conversion, ditched the SMG ECU and retained cruise control?

One other question does anyone know which female pins are needed? There are about a million different options for different connectors and I want to be sure to get the right ones.
                    Last edited by rcarson25; 09-29-2020, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rcarson25 View Post

I am at this part as well. The only thing I am confused about here is doesn’t the SMG ECU get removed at the end? Based on the instructions it seems pin 2 from the clutch switch goes to the SMG ECU and then the SMG ECU gets connected to the main DME. I know this is only for cruise control but shouldn’t there be a method that just takes pin2 of the clutch switch directly to the DME so the SMG ECU can be deleted. Has anyone done the conversion, ditched the SMG ECU and retained cruise control?

One other question does anyone know which female pins are needed? There are about a million different options for different connectors and I want to be sure to get the right ones.
                      This was confusing to me too -- the SMG ECU does get removed, BUT wires in the SMG ECU's connectors are also connected to wires that route to the main ECU and various sensors. So, pin 2 from the clutch switch indeed goes to whatever wire the DIY says, which routes into that SMG ECU connector, but the SMG ECU must be removed for everything to work properly. When I did this I left the SMG ECU in the car and the connector attached to it, because I figured that the SMG ECU must at least be there for the signals to get where they're going -- not the case, and leaving the SMG ECU connected will actually cause issues. Follow the instructions as written, connect the mentioned wires to the SMG ECU's connector, but remove the SMG ECU itself from the car

Comment

okay I was reading this wrong. I thought you had to pin the SMG ecu with pin 2 from clutch switch. This all makes sense now. Pin 2 goes to a wire on SMG
                        ECU pin that goes to a sensor. The SMG ECU ground pin goes to an empty slot on the main ECM. This all makes sense to me now.

Also where are people getting the pins needed for the DME and ECW, which ones are they, just stealing them from other connectors?
                        Last edited by rcarson25; 09-30-2020, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TPE View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pin 2 to dme wiring connectors.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	56052

Thanks in advance!

just re read your post, pin 20 should be blank in the Black DME plug. You should not have a wire to tap into. I took the pin out of the SMG ecu connector , yes the brown wires you have circled and then put it into the blank spot at pin 20 of the black DME plug.

Comment

Just a quick question with the way I wired this I will not have the SMG computer in the car when I code it to manual. Does anyone see an issue with the SMG computer not being in the car when coding to manual?

Comment

Originally posted by rcarson25 View Post
                              Just a quick question with the way I wired this I will not have the SMG computer in the car when I code it to manual. Does anyone see an issue with the SMG computer not being in the car when coding to manual?
                              The SMG computer should not be in the car period. Disconnect it, and remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

The SMG computer should not be in the car period. Disconnect it, and remove it.
                                Thanks and good to know!

Comment

Working...
                                X