No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got ST40s under 18” RG-Rs on my e39 M5, with no issue…

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      I’ve got ST40s under 18” RG-Rs on my e39 M5, with no issue…
      I’m talking about a test fit of the E39 spec front RGR on the front of an E46 M3 with 996 front brakes. That fitment isn’t close. The M5 front hub must have the brakes mounted further inward — I know people only need small and sometimes no spacer to run Brembo GT kits on that chassis as well.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in Tbone, Obioban & Repoman;

So in short, the E46-spec RG-R can clear 996 BBK with spacers, and as offset on RG-Rs is determined by the barrel position, a rather conservative offset is actually beneficial in this case.

And since the E39-spec RG-R is already sitting pretty far out at 8.5 width + ET22 and it will be difficult to slap on a decent-sized spacer on them, thus it won't work for 996 BBK. Yea?​​

Comment

Originally posted by Sprp85 View Post
          Thanks for chiming in Tbone, Obioban & Repoman;

So in short, the E46-spec RG-R can clear 996 BBK with spacers, and as offset on RG-Rs is determined by the barrel position, a rather conservative offset is actually beneficial in this case.

And since the E39-spec RG-R is already sitting pretty far out at 8.5 width + ET22 and it will be difficult to slap on a decent-sized spacer on them, thus it won't work for 996 BBK. Yea?​​
          Yeah, an 8.5 ET22 is already about right for street width and offset IMO, I personally wouldn’t want to push that out further. A less aggressive offset with a spacer would work. It would annoy me to spend all that money on wheels and have them not fit properly though so I haven’t done it. RGRs have increased in price quite a bit in the last couple years too.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Yeah, an 8.5 ET22 is already about right for street width and offset IMO, I personally wouldn’t want to push that out further. A less aggressive offset with a spacer would work. It would annoy me to spend all that money on wheels and have them not fit properly though so I haven’t done it. RGRs have increased in price quite a bit in the last couple years too.
            Thanks again for the input! I guess its either get a new set of wheels or stick with the stock brakes... Which wheels, for street duty, did you go with?

Comment

Stuck with the ZCPs that I already had and added spacers. I want 18s but the car doesn’t see a lot of street miles anyway since I normally just drive the M5 or my wife’s Mazda, and drive to the track on my TA16s.

They look good and haven’t been destroyed (yet) by our cracked and pothole covered roads.

Comment

Stuck with the ZCPs that I already had and added spacers. I want 18s but the car doesn’t see a lot of street miles anyway since I normally just drive the M5 or my wife’s Mazda, and drive to the track on my TA16s.

They look good and haven’t been destroyed (yet) by our cracked and pothole covered roads.
                What width and offset are your TA16s, and do you use a spacer with them?
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

What width and offset are your TA16s, and do you use a spacer with them?
                  9.5 ET35 square for easy tire rotations with 12mm spacer in the back for even fitment. There is inches of clearance front and rear.

If I was to buy them again I’d get ET22 in the back to avoid spacers and just get the tires swapped once halfway through their service life.

Comment

9.5 ET35 square for easy tire rotations with 12mm spacer in the back for even fitment. There is inches of clearance front and rear.

If I was to buy them again I’d get ET22 in the back to avoid spacers and just get the tires swapped once halfway through their service life.
                    Kind of a tangent, but why wouldn't you just do square ET22 at that point? Presumably track alignment would have enough camber to allow for that fitment on the front, or?
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Kind of a tangent, but why wouldn't you just do square ET22 at that point? Presumably track alignment would have enough camber to allow for that fitment on the front, or?
                      That would probably work too!

My interest in “serious” track time is waning a bit honestly — it’s fun but not quite ~$1000/day fun. I would love to find one (spacerless) staggered wheel setup to do it all and just run PS4S or maybe PSC2, and not worry about the understeer bias that such a setup causes too much. Probably why I’m thinking about custom LMs more seriously than I should.

Comment

That would probably work too!

My interest in “serious” track time is waning a bit honestly — it’s fun but not quite ~$1000/day fun. I would love to find one (spacerless) staggered wheel setup to do it all and just run PS4S or maybe PSC2, and not worry about the understeer bias that such a setup causes too much. Probably why I’m thinking about custom LMs more seriously than I should.
                        I’m here to peer pressure you into doing the LMs.
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

so has anyone run cayenne or any 6 pots in the front? there's a guy selling some on fb, probably scammer but wondering if this is even possible.

Comment

Gonna say something that’s not gonna make me popular…

I don’t think the LMs go with the lines of the e46

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              Gonna say something that’s not gonna make me popular…

I don’t think the LMs go with the lines of the e46
                              Love the LMs on the E46 M3 from day one and glad i found a set LOL

Comment

Hope it helps, as mentioned above the spoke design matters just as much as the size and offsets.

Apex Arc8’s
                                18x9.5 et22 fits
                                18x9.5 et35 needs 10mm spacer
                                18x10 et25 fits

silver wheels car is running square 10’s
                                bronze wheels car is running 9.5 front 10 rear
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8191.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	224514
                                2006 ILB | M-Texture