Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
    Have non-drilled rotors ever been able to be found for this swap?
    Turner Motorsports recently released their TrackSport two-piece fully floating rotor sets (front and rear)

They look promising since they are a true two-piece design, slotted, and made to OE fitment and installation.

Price is a little on the high side specially since they currently do not offer free shipping.

The current 10% off brings the price per rotor down to $422.95 per front rotor and $404.05 per rear rotor which is not bad given they are the only offering for our M3s that are available with matching front and rear rotors. (that i know of atm)

PFCs go for $521.99 per rotor and they only offer a front set.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	1302347_x600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	57397
    Last edited by SWRT_M3; 09-22-2020, 08:07 AM.
    Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Interesting. I guess the real question is whether they're designed to have replaceable rings (they must be... that would be insane otherwise) and what the costs are on the rings.

That's the biggest downside to me for this caliper swap – there are no good options for rotors IMO.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Interesting. I guess the real question is whether they're designed to have replaceable rings (they must be... that would be insane otherwise) and what the costs are on the rings.

That's the biggest downside to me for this caliper swap – there are no good options for rotors IMO.
        I chatted with a rep and he said they will be offering rings but wasn’t able to give me a price atm.

I feel the same way, the current offering of rotors for the 996 swap are limited and dull. Which propels the Turner offering to the top of the list imo.

Comment

I sent an email to GiroDisc as well – they're local to me, but they don't make any other 345mm applications so I have a feeling that's a long shot. They do make 325mm, originally for Porsche rears.

Comment

996 kit is better for e36s where they run 325mm rotors up front which are in abundance.

I've been curious, what if you only machine .5 mm off the 996 caliper and fit it on a 355mm rotor? Not sure if there's a 355 that's only 28mm wide though. But the calipers *should* be able to accommodate a 30mm I would guess.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              I've been curious, what if you only machine .5 mm off the 996 caliper and fit it on a 355mm rotor? Not sure if there's a 355 that's only 28mm wide though. But the calipers *should* be able to accommodate a 30mm I would guess.
              This could be interesting. So instead of 5.5mm to accommodate 345mm radially, only 0.5mm to accommodate 355mm? Is pad sweep affected?

Comment

Ya I don't know the difference, if any between, the pad faces of the OE 345mm rotor and any 355 rotors.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  Ya I don't know the difference, if any between, the pad faces of the OE 345mm rotor and any 355 rotors.
                  You could make special hats for these rotors

Rotor No: 160-8402, rotor, rotors, carbon ceramic, carbon ceramic rotors, iron rotors, steel rotors, rotor hats, directional vane, staggered, straight vane, srp drilled, disc rotor, drum rotor, internal parking brake, steel rotors, aluminum rotors, bedding, bedding-in, mounting, mount

With FCP's warranty program, I don't see the point of purchasing the turner rotors, especially if replacement discs are an unknown.

Comment

Just got this install wrapped up. Took way longer than I wanted but is exactly what I wanted/expected. Calipers were completely stripped, seals removed, and powder coated black with blue flake. Only rear shots right now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brembo1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	57452 Click image for larger version  Name:	Brembo2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.2 KB ID:	57453

'06 IB/BLK 6SPD PN66072

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Rotor No: 160-8402, rotor, rotors, carbon ceramic, carbon ceramic rotors, iron rotors, steel rotors, rotor hats, directional vane, staggered, straight vane, srp drilled, disc rotor, drum rotor, internal parking brake, steel rotors, aluminum rotors, bedding, bedding-in, mounting, mount

With FCP's warranty program, I don't see the point of purchasing the turner rotors, especially if replacement discs are an unknown.
                      Wilwood makes hats for the E46 M3 but the offset might be off a bit since the hats are made for their own BBK kit.

Prior to knowing that Turner was about to release their two-piece rotors, I purchased the Wilwood rear hat and a 12.88 x 0.88 disk, so far, test fitting has shown that the rotor brake surface is smaller/shorter than the OE disks and therefor the bottom of the caliper/pads hit the outer edge of the hat. Maybe a spacer between the 996 caliper and the RallyRoad bracket would solve the issue. Talking about “X” mm difference nothing drastic.

I’ll try to take some photos soon.

I agree, buying the Euro/ZCPs from FCP make the Turner’s look like eye candy only. You can buy both front Euro/ZCPs for the price of one Turner rotor (just about) and have the lifetime warranty from FCP.

Still waiting to hear back from TMS in regards to the weight of each rotor/hat/hardware to be able to compare them to the Euro/ZCPs.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

I would love to be able to use Wilwood rotor rings. But their SAE rotor diameters in inches don't seem to match up well to 345mm. Would need to get more technical.

Comment

I would love to be able to use Wilwood rotor rings. But their SAE rotor diameters in inches don't seem to match up well to 345mm. Would need to get more technical.
                          14 inches is 355.6mm, and earlier your were ruminating about running a 355mm disc instead of the off the shelf 345mm disc.

Comment

I haven’t found a 345mm equivalent offered by Wilwood.

I think he was answering Tbonem3 question about “355 x 28” since Wilwood offers a 14 x 1.1 (355.6mm x 27.94mm) rotor.

Comment

I was able to take some photos of the Wilwood hat/rotor with the 996 caliper. Don’t mind the line and bleeders on the caliper, swap is pending.

The major issues I noticed while test fitting the Wilwood hat/rotor with the 996 caliper.
                              1. The Wilwood rotor brake/face surface is smaller than the OE rotor.
                              2. The Wilwood hat needs the offset changed (move the rotor further in). The outer pins on the caliper are extremely close to the rotor.
                              3. The outer brake pad does not fit properly, the pins are extremely close and the pad’s thickness becomes an issue. The bottom of the brake pad rubs on the outer edge of the hat, and the top of the brake pad is a few mm passed the top of the rotor.

If I was dead set on using the Wilwood hat/rotor, a custom bracket could be the key. Make the mounting surface a little thicker to move the caliper up a few mm, and move the mounting holes a few mm out towards the wheel. (Not sure how pad sweep would be affected)

Now that TMS released their two-piece rotors that promise OE fitment… I may just scrap the Wilwood project and go with the TMS setup. They are really tempting when TMS/ECS offers 10% off, but no free shipping is lame, they fit in the same box as the Euro/ZCP rotors (those ship for free) so what gives….

Attached Files

Comment

Set of 4 refinished and rebuilt Porsche 996 brake calipers made by Brembo. The calipers have been professionally stripped back to bare aluminum, powder coated in Brembo Red and rebuilt with new seals. These calipers, along with Rally Road adapter brackets, Rally Road brake lines and ZCP front rotors come together as an affordable BBK upgrade for the BMW E46 M3. Calipers are plug and play on an E46 M3, no additional work needed.

Part numbers for the calipers

•996.351.426, 996.351.425 (front)
                                •996.352.422, 996.352.421 (rear)

Front calipers have been machined 5.5 mm, and rear crossover lines have been swapped from left to right for installation on a BMW E46 M3.

Approximately $1.5-1.8k of additional stuff is needed to complete the conversion in addition to these calipers. I have compiled a shopping list and can send this to the buyer. If your M3 is already a ZCP (Competition Package) car, and your rotors are still good, you can deduct $800 from the cost.

Calipers come bare as shown, with no pads, dampeners or hardware.

We can build calipers in many different colors, including "illusion" metallic powder coating. In addition, if you have a non-M E46 or E36 M3, we can build calipers to your spec as well. Lead time is approximately 4 weeks. These red ones are in stock and ready to go within 2 business days.

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                                Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                                Evolve Eventuri
                                - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Working...
                                X