Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    If you end up coming to me for the install, I have extra sets of spacers (3, 5, 10, 12, 15) on hand. But it sounds like you're going to be just fine.
    yes def still plannig on it post corona, but im trying to get my ducks in line so we got no hiccups and i dont waste ur time.
    • 2006 AW/IR Manual
    • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
    • Supersprint
    • KW V3
    • 996 Brembo
    • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post
      ^ that 15mm I quoted was a total guesstimate ;}
      My finger could be smaller/fatter

Good discussion either way, as running a spacer on front ZCP/CSL wheels is probably needed as the fender still has room to play.
      discussions like this make the forums invaluable, i had serious depression post m3forum death.
      • 2006 AW/IR Manual
      • Supersprint
      • KW V3
      • 996 Brembo
      • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Great info guys! I was just asking this question in another thread. I’m running OEM ZCPs and currently have 12mm spacers in the front. Picked up a set of 15mm spacers based on old info, but looks like I won’t need them. I’ll report back after my install.
        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
          Great info guys! I was just asking this question in another thread. I’m running OEM ZCPs and currently have 12mm spacers in the front. Picked up a set of 15mm spacers based on old info, but looks like I won’t need them. I’ll report back after my install.
          Post pics! I want to see that I haven't been insane this whole time ranting about 12mm or smaller spacers on this setup lol
          TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

They'll fit, but will the gap be questionable? Please report back thx!
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
              Yeah, I wondered about paint on the pins, but they had plenty of red on them when I bought the calipers, so I figured it would not cause a problem. We shall see.

Jesse
              We have now seen. Best to heed Tyler's warning about the pins. Do not paint them. Best to go with bare metal and lubricated, as he advised.

It is also a good idea to lube the top of the pad where the spring clip rides...

Jesse
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

awesome, please keep us updated.
                • 2006 AW/IR Manual
                • Supersprint
                • KW V3
                • 996 Brembo
                • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                  We have now seen. Best to heed Tyler's warning about the pins. Do not paint them. Best to go with bare metal and lubricated, as he advised. It is also a good idea to lube the top of the pad where the spring clip rides.
                  I agree, just polish them up a bit then use some lube when installing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	53FAEDE8-0FAD-4315-9FD4-FB2E8717D6FC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	10455 Click image for larger version  Name:	5D79AA92-1DE6-4B20-9C3D-D04DA5FC62C2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	188.3 KB ID:	10454
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	CFA59265-2425-404D-8569-589855D1FAF8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	10453
                  TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                  Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                  Evolve Eventuri
                  - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Yes, I lube those pins where the spring clip meets it, but we were actually talking about the little pins that the pads sit and ride on. See the picture i inserted into the DIY in post 1 about prepping for paint.

Comment

What's a good target price to aim for when sourcing a full set of 4 used calipers?

Comment

Can vary due to condition, and prices have steadily increased the last year or 2, but I see them for about $500-800. Ebay and used car parts sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          Can vary due to condition, and prices have steadily increased the last year or 2, but I see them for about $500-800. Ebay and used car parts sites.
                          Nice, thanks, that's cheap enough for me to consider trying to do this over the summer! I've already got fresh CSL rotors so all in cost wouldn't be too bad. God damn I actually felt like I was saving money while M3F was down... so much for that.

Comment

Anybody know the best way to remove powder coat? My metal pins weren’t masked off and I want to remove it before installing.
                            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Anybody know the best way to remove powder coat? My metal pins weren’t masked off and I want to remove it before installing.
                              If you are talking about these metal pins just use a knife and scratch most of it off then use some sand cloth to sand them down. You can use some 400 grit sand paper and some polish to make them shine like chrome if you want to go that route.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B85A7AD4-0709-404A-9D1E-682A5D3F7007.jpeg
Views:	964
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	10854
                              Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 04-12-2020, 08:52 PM.
                              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                              Evolve Eventuri
                              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I finally got around to install the rear Porsche calipers using the CM brackets. Here was my take on them.

a). The dowel pins that hold the pads in place (they're about 10mm wide) were ridiculously close to the rotor - like less than a millimeter. So after scratching my head for a bit making sure I did everything right I ended up getting advice from Tbonem3 to grind them down. Which is exactly what I did. After about a minute or two with a grinder, they fit perfectly.

b). I used the CM brake line kit. The fitting on one of the lines that connect to the car's hard brake lines wasn't threaded correctly - which caused me to almost cross-thread the car's hard-line. I was able to clean up the threads with a tap and everything fit together finally. The other hose was fine. Just be really careful connecting to the hard lines, you don't want to mess up the threads.

c) I hate brake fluid. The whole hard-line fiasco made a bloody huge mess

d) I can't paint nearly as good as Tbonem3 , his calipers look better than mine.

e) I'm super annoyed that the CM brackets can't use the taller pads like the RR brackets since those are the pads I ordered. So now I'm either going to have to buy another set of brake pads (probably the cheaper thing to do) or replace the brackets. I guess if I buy another set of brackets, I can run the smaller pad in the rear, the bigger in the front, and then when it comes time to doing pads I'll already have a set of pads. But still, the RR brackets seem like the better deal.

You can also just buy a replacement set, they're not super expensive.
                                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X