F8X Brembo BBK Swap on E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D10GO View Post
    Hey Johnvu, I wanted to thank you for your very detailed very precise orientation on how to do this conversion. I was able to follow your step by step and install mines. And btw, for all those out there wondering if you can fit this on 18 wheels…yes it is possible, here are some pics.
    Is the Brembo decal in that third photo upside down?
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by YoitsTmac View Post
      Bump. Final plea for a brake line vendor? It’s the last piece I need
      Wouldnt any F80 aftermarket steel lines work? For example:

Comment

I guess so. The OP mentioned adding a right angle fitting on the caliper side and I assumed that was a necessity. Guess not. I will grab some other brake lines. Thank you thank you!!

Comment

Thoughts on the added unsprung weight? How about the absence of dust shields on the rear brakes? Those 2 things I'm most concerned with. I'm torn if I should do this same "upgrade".

Comment

I have a spare set of F8x steel brakes, I'm also on the fence. Not sure if the weight is enough to offset the aesthetically pleasing caliper sand huge rotors. I may opt for a set of brand new calipers from a reputable company, the weight is definitely an issue for me, the rear brake shield not so much. You don't need to remove it, you just need to cut a portion of it out to fit flush.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Wouldnt any F80 aftermarket steel lines work? For example:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F80-M3...ainless_Steel/
              You can order these directly from HEL on website under customs lines and mention they are for f80 to e46 brembo conversion.

Comment

Is there a specific wheel size thats needed to fit the brakes? I am currently running a very aggressive 18" wheel with a lot of brake clearance to the face but I am not sure if I have the barrel width

Comment

You need about 400mm in total if not a little more for the extension of the caliper. Some pads have extra “arms” that stick out too that need to be considered.

If you find wheels that fit F series cars then you’re probably good

Comment

What are people thoughts on this vs 996 brembo upgrades?

Comment

Great write up. I’ve just done this to my M3, trouble is that I’ve got a nasty scraping noise from the back. Think it the shoes- I used the E46 M3 shoes which fit fine. Bent the heatsheild back but I’m scratching my head now. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by zim-zimmer View Post
                        Great write up. I’ve just done this to my M3, trouble is that I’ve got a nasty scraping noise from the back. Think it the shoes- I used the E46 M3 shoes which fit fine. Bent the heatsheild back but I’m scratching my head now. Any thoughts?
                        Take it out of gear, no parking brake, put a rock behind a wheel, jack up a rear corner and manually spin it. It’s definitely hitting something, so you need to lean in there and see exactly where

Comment

Originally posted by YoitsTmac View Post

Take it out of gear, no parking brake, put a rock behind a wheel, jack up a rear corner and manually spin it. It’s definitely hitting something, so you need to lean in there and see exactly where
                          I would definitely follow these instructions. The bent heatshield may need some additional massaging as they may be slightly contacting the rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnvu View Post

I would definitely follow these instructions. The bent heatshield may need some additional massaging as they may be slightly contacting the rotors.
                            I’ve found the problem. On the inside of the disc (which fits over the shoes) there is a lip which is rubbing
                            on the brake shield. Just need to grind it flat, hopefully that should do the trick.

Comment

So, my understanding is the M sport/performance package brakes for the f3X 3/4 series uses the same calipers as the F80 m3/4 just with different rotors correct?

I'm sure some good deals can be had but eBay seems to average out around 2k CAD for used calipers likely from a salvage yard. Nothing has been popping up on the local classifieds either.

Noticed you can get brand new M performance brakes for the F3x cars for about 1900 Usd. These include front 370mm rotors. Kinda thinking after selling the rotors you would end up with new calipers for only a little more then rebuilt, refinished junk yard ones. Will still need rotors still but I would want to replace them anyways unless I found a really good set.

Really considering taking this on in later stages of my project.

Comment

I am selling my pre-machine blue calipers in California. You can message me on instagram @BuiltForRedline if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X