This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post

The pics on the right are from the suspect caliper, right? They look a bit glazed. Could just be the lighting.
    Thanks and good eye. It is the lighting (flash went on) but those are the front right ones and they are indeed a bit glazed compared to the rest. Pretty sure that caliper is a sticky one.

But just wondering if I somehow jacked up my brand new pads since they look so chewed up on the ends. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job cleaning up those parts of the caliper with a wire brush or something.

There is a white ring on the inner part of all four rotors where the pads are all making (the most?) contact. The pads on all four corners seems to "touch" there more on the inner ring of the rotors - it doesn't look like the entire pad is "flush" against the rotor when the car is at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post
      I'm chasing down a "pulls to the right issue". I had an alignment done last year, it's not the slant of the road, and I just changed my FCABs (not the entire control arm -- yet). I still have the issue, especially under harder braking.
      Flame suit on here, but I encountered the same problem on my brake job until I pulled the pins, threw some Toyota lithium soap grease on them and put them back in. I know I know...TIS says "no grease", but the guide pin "servicing" which I believe also includes replacement of the rubber pin bushings is recommended every 4yrs from what I read. So, that was how I fixed it on my totally stock setup with new ATE guide bushings. FWIW, the owner of a local bmw shop in my town also "lubed" them, with what, I don't know, but he didn't put them in dry. Some guys run them dry, no problem. Anyway, maybe give that shot.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Flame suit on here, but I encountered the same problem on my brake job until I pulled the pins, threw some Toyota lithium soap grease on them and put them back in. I know I know...TIS says "no grease", but the guide pin "servicing" which I believe also includes replacement of the rubber pin bushings is recommended every 4yrs from what I read. So, that was how I fixed it on my totally stock setup with new ATE guide bushings. FWIW, the owner of a local bmw shop in my town also "lubed" them, with what, I don't know, but he didn't put them in dry. Some guys run them dry, no problem. Anyway, maybe give that shot.
        Thanks. I did put some grease on the pins as well. The rubber looks fine but it's who knows how old those are. Replacement calipers coming tomorrow hopefully. My main concern was mainly "do these pads look normal after 50-100 miles" -- or did I somehow toast them and have to get new ones.

I'll probably just throw them back on with the fresh calipers and see how they look in a couple months before my car goes into hibernation in the Midwest.
        Last edited by bagger; 09-03-2024, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Flame suit on here, but I encountered the same problem on my brake job until I pulled the pins, threw some Toyota lithium soap grease on them and put them back in.
          I think the concern here is if the grease reacts with the rubber guide it can swell it and then cause the caliper to stick. I see that all the time with AWD cars when the outer CV boots leak and toss grease onto the calipers.
          '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Oddball question, does anybody's exhaust smell like ammonia? Car runs great, but everytime loading something into trunk while car is idling I get a huge whiff of ammonia smell. Stock tune/header/cats. Active Auto muffler

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
              I think the concern here is if the grease reacts with the rubber guide it can swell it and then cause the caliper to stick.
              I've heard the same and experienced it on my own car (not the M3). That was with the normal style of dark brake grease, though. I've heard other greases like Sil-glyde can be fine. Not sure about lithium soap grease.

I'm under the impression that the stock rubber caliper pin bushings work the same way as all rubber bushings do: by gripping and flexing, not by allowing sliding. Can't imagine it'd hurt to grease these as long as the grease is right, but it's not part of the design. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
              Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
              Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
                Oddball question, does anybody's exhaust smell like ammonia? Car runs great, but everytime loading something into trunk while car is idling I get a huge whiff of ammonia smell. Stock tune/header/cats. Active Auto muffler
                Honestly I thought this was because I have no cats. 100% same smell from my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post

Honestly I thought this was because I have no cats. 100% same smell from my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  After doing a quick google its more common then I thought. Been in the car game for a long time and have never smelled ammonia before.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
                    I get this smell, too. Not sure what, if anything, is wrong. It's been like this for 10+ yrs.
                    Just like yours, if the car is idling it smells like ammonia around it.

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                      I've heard the same and experienced it on my own car (not the M3). That was with the normal style of dark brake grease, though. I've heard other greases like Sil-glyde can be fine. Not sure about lithium soap grease.

I'm under the impression that the stock rubber caliper pin bushings work the same way as all rubber bushings do: by gripping and flexing, not by allowing sliding. Can't imagine it'd hurt to grease these as long as the grease is right, but it's not part of the design. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Lithium soap grease is OK since yes, you don't want to swell the rubber. And I'm talking about a very thin layer to the pins is what I've done without issue. Inherently, the caliper is "sliding" by design as it is "floating", just ever so slightly so I"m not sure I follow your point about "gripping and flexing, not by allowing sliding".

Comment

Inherently, the caliper is "sliding" by design as it is "floating", just ever so slightly so I"m not sure I follow your point about "gripping and flexing, not by allowing sliding".
                        I meant the movement in the caliper is mainly from the bushings flexing, not the pins sliding within the bushings.

Obviously there’s supposed to be a little bit of slide over time as the pads wear, but that’s not the dominant effect as you get on and off the brakes.

Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong about this.
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Where is the checksum in the DME binary file extracted by BMWFlash? What kind of checksum is it? (I could calculate it and find it with my hex editor if I knew)

I'm trying to apply some modifications to the file and wonder how to correct and verify the checksum.

Comment

Need to do wheel bearings--which brand are we buying?

Comment

Need to do wheel bearings--which brand are we buying?
                              FAG

Comment

Whoa bro he's just asking an innocent question chill out

*I think someone found out the f.a.g. hubs are being made in asia now
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X