No announcement yet.

What did you do for your M3 today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished up the valve adjustment on my car this morning, CPV valve, etc... and still have a little oil drip. Double-checked the oil return line and now my only guess is the rear main seal. I'm of course going to get under the car with a flashlight and inspect, but anything I should look for?

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidinnyc View Post
      I finished up the valve adjustment on my car this morning, CPV valve, etc... and still have a little oil drip. Double-checked the oil return line and now my only guess is the rear main seal. I'm of course going to get under the car with a flashlight and inspect, but anything I should look for?

David
      Did you used OEM valve cover gasket? New CPV oring?
      2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Did you used OEM valve cover gasket? New CPV oring?
        Sorry, meant to say that I still have an oil leak but it’s not from the valve gasket and CPV ring area. Everything above the headers looks okay!

Comment

Originally posted by ramzM3 View Post

Wow, yeah, that might cause a little overheating...I can see some of my younger 19 year old radiator, though it does look like the fins have dirt on them, it's nothing like that, lol. I would have probably changed it out with a newer radiator too, knowing that was most likely the source of the problem. Glad to see you identified yours. I may end up going down that road too, but I'm trying to eliminate the smaller stuff before dropping a bunch of $$ to replace the radiator, water pump, hoses, and coolant. The coolant expansion tank and lower radiator hose are newer, replace within the last 2-3 years, and the thermostat and lower temp sensor were replace a month ago.
          I would add that the condenser looked much cleaner than this, so it was really not visible until I pulled the radiator. I ended up blowing a lot of junk out of it with compressed air, but it was nothing like the radiator. I had just done the VANOS, which grew into a head gasket project, but I digress. The back of the radiator looked perfect when I had the fan off for that project. I was surprised it looked like this when I took it out, so my point is that unless you’ve really looked at it, there’s no way to be sure.

I totally understand the money thing. I was hoping to get away with the radiator for a while, but once I saw those temps, I knew I had to bite bullet. BTW, that temp gauge is pretty sensitive. 225 is the very edge of the red. Even with everything done, it still occasionally creeps up past the center (only 204 to do that), but it’s also frequently 110+ out there. Anyway, hope you get it sorted out.

Comment

Sent my M3 that I've owned for 13 years off to her new owner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	53928233944_73a36630b9_b.jpg Views:	7 Size:	195.9 KB ID:	275720
            Last edited by DJAM3; 08-16-2024, 08:52 PM.
            2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse - SOLD

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
            Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

I absolutely hate myself, while finishing the interior I couldn't put back the A and C pillars in their condition. I bit the bullet.

Also installed some PedalHause aluminum pedals since I felt the AKGs I have are too small with no decent dead pedal option.

Anyway, coming along nicely. Dash is in, now it's slowly reassembling and freshen every plastic bit with a new one. I've also wrapped a few areas where friction may create noise using Telfa tape.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
                I absolutely hate myself, while finishing the interior I couldn't put back the A and C pillars in their condition. I bit the bullet.

Also installed some PedalHause aluminum pedals since I felt the AKGs I have are too small with no decent dead pedal option.

Anyway, coming along nicely. Dash is in, now it's slowly reassembling and freshen every plastic bit with a new one. I've also wrapped a few areas where friction may create noise using Telfa tape.
                What did you do with your A and C pillars? My B and C pillars are peeling and I'm looking for some options on refreshing them. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Installed an ACS style lip and went on a nice sunset drive!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	275769
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	275771
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Track Widow View Post

What did you do with your A and C pillars? My B and C pillars are peeling and I'm looking for some options on refreshing them. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I pulled the sagging fabric off and just drove it without it for a few months. I still have them of course sans the fabric.

Really didn't mind them but since everything else is refreshed internally, might as well just buy new ones with lifetime warranty now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Still investigating oil leak

Just another bottom covers off and clean up day

Comment

Did a diff pinion seal replacement and installed a Corsa exhaust while I had it apart.

Comment

Installed a PS Designs headlight duct.

(Mostly for the style of it, but when I installed brake cooling ducts, I thought a bit about how to compensate for the reduced air supply to the intake. The OE duct to the wheel also supplies air to the OE filter box. This is a decent option.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	275894
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davidinnyc View Post

David
                            Aside from oil pan gasket which would be pretty obvious, I recently had to replace the o-ring on the rear camshaft position sensor. It's tucked way back there and mimics a VCG / CPV leak if looking from the bottom.

Originally posted by ramzM3 View Post

Wow, yeah, that might cause a little overheating...I can see some of my younger 19 year old radiator, though it does look like the fins have dirt on them, it's nothing like that, lol. I would of probably changed it out with a newer radiator too, knowing that was most likely the source of the problem. Glad to see you identified yours. I may end up going down that road too, but I'm trying to eliminate the smaller stuff before dropping a bunch of $$ to replace the radiator, water pump, hoses, and coolant. The coolant expansion tank and lower radiator hose are newer, replace within the last 2-3 years, and the thermostat and lower temp sensor were replace a month ago.
                            Cleaning out the condenser / oil cooler from the front, and the radiator from the back with a hose (not a pressure washer) or compressed air only costs time.

I used AC coil foam on both for extra cleaning power, but with this route you absolutely must remove the front end to fully expose the condenser / oil cooler, so that you can thoroughly rinse every nook and cranny to make sure no residual product remains. Definitely helped with temps, as evident from the car taking much longer to warm up even at 90+ ambient we've been having.
                            Last edited by dukeofchen; 08-21-2024, 12:29 PM.
                            '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                            All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Another fellow owner advised of a flash sale of super sprint x pipe for the Z4M and grabbed it. at 380 it was tough to decline

Comment

Finally got the interior setup:
                                Recaro carbon PP ABE
                                Karb CSL center console
                                Karb CSL door cards
                                OEM titan shadow trim

Still waiting for the oem CSL e-brake boot to get delivered. I adjusted the seat belts to use the pass through holes. lol Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	276366
                                Last edited by Projecte46m3; 08-22-2024, 06:44 PM.
                                2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Dixis Spirit - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - YFCM - Ground Control - DMG Autosport - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Working...
                                X