No announcement yet.

"Best" aftermarket Vanos line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You easily secure any Vanos line you go with by adding one of these Cable Clamps. 😎

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
    Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
    Evolve Eventuri
    - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

For all those that bought new lines. Did your old OE one really break or is this a part that is easily made from shops and marketed as something that "needs" to be done?
      Seems strange a part would move so much to break that's connected to the engine. I understand the engine moves, but it moves as a unit. (Yes I understand vanos line is under oil pressure)
      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
        For all those that bought new lines. Did your old OE one really break or is this a part that is easily made from shops and marketed as something that "needs" to be done?
        Seems strange a part would move so much to break that's connected to the engine. I understand the engine moves, but it moves as a unit. (Yes I understand vanos line is under oil pressure)
        The original VANOS line part number was superseded by BMW in 2005 (old pn 11367831700, new pn 11367837614). The old part only had one mounting tab, whereas the new one has two. The extra tab is closer to the VANOS to avoid having the line vibrate and crack/rub against something. So yeah, the original design was prone to failure.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I have the Bimmerworld line. Yet to install it though.

Comment

mine blew as have others. The problem is, the new one while secured better seems to press exactly where the old one looked worn. So, knowing that I prba ly would have gone a differe t route.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
              mine blew as have others. The problem is, the new one while secured better seems to press exactly where the old one looked worn. So, knowing that I probably would have gone a different route.
              From the aftermarket marketing, they state it gives at the top banjo fitting to line crimp. Is this what you’re saying or something different? Earlier I thought you were describing rubbing lower by the block.

Ok, so a non-rigid hose that flexes like all these aftermarket design likely better than updated line.

If these alleviate that why do these aftermarket hose brands seem to always say replace/inspect like every track session and every year? That’s the part that makes me wonder if it’s really an upgrade.
              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

From the aftermarket marketing, they state it gives at the top banjo fitting to line crimp. Is this what you’re saying or something different? Earlier I thought you were describing rubbing lower by the block.

Ok, so a non-rigid hose that flexes like all these aftermarket design likely better than updated line.

If these alleviate that why do these aftermarket hose brands seem to always say replace/inspect like every track session and every year? That’s the part that makes me wonder if it’s really an upgrade.
                Yes, it rubs at the block. It is very firmly pressed against it. Probably last another 200k like the old one so there is that.
                And yeah, I have heard that too about the aftermarket ones. Part of it I'm sure is just CYA by the suppliers (since a failure could blow a motor). That was another thing I didn't want to deal with, all these companies saying tested to this and that blah blah blah but then you buy it and its made in china with generic parts and what have you gained really? They also seem to imply the OEM one is "only" tested to meet the 1200psi of the vanos (or whatever it is), I am certain the OEM piece can hold much more than that and since they don't blow because the pressure rating is exceeded I see that that as a moo point. flip a coin

Comment

On 99% of vanos overhauls (unless a customer requests a different line) I install the revised Genuine OE BMW vanos oil line. I always suggest this part over aftermarket options as it fits great and with the additional mounting tab it will be a very reliable part. I have yet to see one of the revised lines fail. I also believe some of the original line failures are due to improper install during vanos overhauls. I've seen a few cars in which the top banjo bolt was torqued prior to tightening the vanos oil line lower mounting tab bolt which put additional stress on the line.

Revised Genuine OE BMW vanos oil line installed during a vanos overhaul.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	vanosline1.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	70432

With some of the aftermarket lines they rub slightly on the lower radiator hose, have different line internal diameter, etc. Also, I wanted to mention for those who have purchased the Bimmerworld vanos oil line, DOUBLE CHECK your torque spec for the banjo bolts. The instructions I've seen have said to torque the banjo bolts to 20 ft. lbs!!! This is incorrect and will lead to stripping threads. I have notified them of this torque spec mistake and they said they would correct it in their installation instructions. The correct torque spec for the banjo bolts is 115 in. lbs (you should be using a calibrated inch lbs. torque wrench for vanos related work). Also, be sure to use a torque wrench for the vanos to cylinder head bolts. I've also seen a local installer strip these threads on multiple cars.. The correct torque spec for these bolts is 89 in. lbs.
                  SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
                  E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Oh man not sure which route to go, gotta pull the trigger within a couple hrs for discount.

Comment

Name:	IMG_5413.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	70444

I installed a RE line when I did my VANOS bulletproofing recently. Fitment was spot on, I didn't notice it rubbing on anything. I don't think that extra clamp on the left VANOS bolt is really necessary other than peace of mind. If you let the aftermarket braided line flow naturally, it doesn't seem to stress the banjo fittings.

I torqued the banjo bolt to Beisan's number in their DIY and no issues. Good luck getting a torque wrench on the lower banjo bolt, though.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Name:	IMG_5413.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	70444
                        I installed a RE line when I did my VANOS bulletproofing recently. Fitment was spot on, I didn't notice it rubbing on anything. I don't think that extra clamp on the left VANOS bolt is really necessary other than peace of mind. If you let the aftermarket braided line flow naturally, it doesn't seem to stress the banjo fittings.
                        How did you get a RE one with the clear sheathing over the S/S braided hose? RE and ECS show it all black. Is their an option somewhere from them?
                        I like the clear (or even transparent blue over S/S).

Comment

How did you get a RE one with the clear sheathing over the S/S braided hose? RE and ECS show it all black. Is their an option somewhere from them?
                          I like the clear (or even transparent blue over S/S).
                          I didn't even know there was a difference, I just ordered one from ECS and it showed up looking like that. Also came with 4 crush washers which was nice.
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                            I didn't even know there was a difference, I just ordered one from ECS and it showed up looking like that. Also came with 4 crush washers which was nice.
                            Actually the more I look at it that isn’t what RE advertises as their product. At least not now, the top fitting looks different from smooth low profile on both sides (edit* ok maybe not so different, could be lighting). You got this recently?

Click image for larger version  Name:	s54_vanos2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	70472
                            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 12-01-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I have the RE one. Been over a year and no issues with it.
                              "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                              ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

+1 on Bimmerworld. Been used on 20 plus track days with no issue. I hope you are installing with the VANOS off. It is an absolute nightmare to get the lower screw (not the banjo bolt) in but this was very early in my work on the car. Still remember it to this day haha!
                                2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                                [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Working...
                                X