No announcement yet.

Rod Bearing Showcase Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting to see the lack of correlation between mileage and wear...

Also the lack of correlation between blackstone oil reports and wear...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 06M3Cab View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	bearings 1.jpeg
Views:	569
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	108601 Click image for larger version

Name:	bearings2.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	108602

Funny, my oil analysis consistently looked fine. Blackstone's report stated "Your original rod bearings still look good with lead (the primary bearing element) at a perfectly average 6 ppm". I'm glad I replaced them anyway.
      I agree that the oil analysis is matching with the bearings condition. At 133K miles they looks fine with #3 just showing copper. You could easily get another 5K but it's good time to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post
        Don’t know when the previous owner changed them. But glad I got it done.
        Not too bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
          Had the rod bearing recall done around 25k and then these done at 145k. Mostly highway miles, but still, they were ready to change out. Glad i did it now and didnt wait any longer. Blackstone wasnt showing much copper
          Low resolution pic -- I couldn't see much of detail.

Comment

Had Rod Bearing Recall done at 15,509 and these done at 208,426. So 193,000 on these…

Name:	8B07B0A8-D034-4E6B-B519-F20E3ABE07A0.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	109806
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
              Had Rod Bearing Recall done at 15,509 and these done at 208,426. So 193,000 on these…
              Too dark to tell if copper shown or not, but they seem to be in good shape for 193K miles.
              Why changed now and not when it's around 100K?

Comment

Saw these posted on Reddit. 170k mile rod bearings.

Name:	52C26BA0-DFB6-4E0A-9053-730462DFA62D.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	114782

Comment

Wow, hard to believe one didn't let go. Owner is very lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                    Saw these posted on Reddit. 170k mile rod bearings
                    He squeezed out every mile of the bearings -- what's a timing. Once the copper layer is worn through then the crank will hit the steel layer and be damged.
                    The bearings/crank journals matched perfectly for this engine: look at how the red copper worn down uniformly around 360* instead of just a short arc at the middle of the bearing shell curve. This means the bearings have a very small clearance -- minimum side on the spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 06M3Cab View Post
                      Wow, hard to believe one didn't let go. Owner is very lucky.
                      Although it is lucky one didn't spin, I would still be seriously concerned about the condition of the crank with the shells looking like that. Not necessarily away laughing.

Comment

These came out of my first S54 that spun a bearing. 180kish on them, always proper warm up and then redline every chance I get. Spun one not shown. Kinda messed up that all these could look so good and one still decided to spin. If I really want to stretch my imagination the new bmw turbo oil was in it at the time, with how good these bearings look, maybe that shell stuff wasn’t up to the task. Ran castrol up until the last couple of oil changes. Like I said a stretch and we will never know, but I probably won’t be using the shell stuff again. Ran it on the new motor that blew up too but that was a unique circumstance.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	78955C65-5372-464F-B74B-8838BF5DC335.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	119531
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Icecream; 08-07-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

What do we define as "bad"? I see varying levels of wear but nothing outright alarming, except for that Reddit post which has me think it was assembled wrong or starved of oil or something.

Do we have enough data to say "you should replace your bearings at X miles regardless of oil analysis" yet?

Comment

2003 M3 production date 10/02' w/ 110k (had the bearing recall done prior by previous owner at some point mileage unknown best guess was about 50-60k). I've been doing only track only miles, only a track queen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161226_114056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	119562
                            Last edited by Samsonite79; 08-08-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                              I had nightmares that looked like this the night before my rod bearings were done!
                              E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post

I had nightmares that looked like this the night before my rod bearings were done!
                                bet that car was babied.

Eh, nm, he just posted he redlines all the time.
                                Last edited by Icecream; 08-08-2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X