Views:	263
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	256516
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.42.15 PM.png
Views:	261
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	256517

I just followed the radius of the caliper, so there should be no clearance issues with the wheel:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.47.20 PM.png
Views:	293
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	256520

Here it is placed into the merged scan:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.58.09 PM.png
Views:	298
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	256518

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.58.20 PM.png
Views:	297
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	256519

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 2.00.55 PM.png
Views:	296
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	256521

The merged scan has the wheel at full lock to check clearances. Looks like it will be fine!

Now just need to find some time to print and test.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Well I completely forgot to account for the weights that come on street pads. Scanned the car with track pads and designed the duct around those. Fortunately the street pads are on the bench, so I just measured them and added to the CAD:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.18.36 PM.png
Views:	262
Size:	889.5 KB
ID:	256728
        Definitely not going to work with those:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 10.32.32 AM.png
Views:	266
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	256729

Design needed some tweaking anyway (thinner walls, reworked caliper reliefs), so V2 it is:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.00.20 PM.png
Views:	255
Size:	711.8 KB
ID:	256730

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.00.36 PM.png
Views:	234
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	256731

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.00.47 PM.png
Views:	229
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	256732

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.00.58 PM.png
Views:	236
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	256733

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.01.36 PM.png
Views:	231
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	256734

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.08.38 PM.png
Views:	256
Size:	971.3 KB
ID:	256735

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.07.18 PM.png
Views:	257
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	256736

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.07.32 PM.png
Views:	261
Size:	1,000.3 KB
ID:	256737

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 7.07.50 PM.png
Views:	265
Size:	1,022.2 KB
ID:	256738

Since I'm 3D printing these, my approach is a very software-engineery approach. That is to say I'm tweaking a few things at a time, not validating anything besides a quick eyechrometer clearance check and printing. There's bound to be more iterations of this thing, so I'll just update with a pic of the different versions when I settle on a final one.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Love the 3D scanning and CAD work. What program are you using? Maybe I'm thick headed but FreeCAD has not been that easy to understand.

Are you trying to extract air from the brakes? That area is probably high pressure and turbulent. The air coming from the brake ducts comes from a relatively low pressure area which is what makes brake ducts so challenging. People say that to not aim brake duct air to the rotor face, which is correct, but the reasoning of distributing the air through vanes from the hub is part of the reason. The goal is to vent into a low pressure area to encourage air flow, I'd guess that the hub is the lowest pressure area.

You might find that you're not getting enough cooling.

Maybe if you could run that air to a really low pressure area, you could use that duct to extract air and then run a more convention setup to feed air to the brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
            Love the 3D scanning and CAD work. What program are you using? Maybe I'm thick headed but FreeCAD has not been that easy to understand.

Are you trying to extract air from the brakes? That area is probably high pressure and turbulent. The air coming from the brake ducts comes from a relatively low pressure area which is what makes brake ducts so challenging. People say that to not aim brake duct air to the rotor face, which is correct, but the reasoning of distributing the air through vanes from the hub is part of the reason. The goal is to vent into a low pressure area to encourage air flow, I'd guess that the hub is the lowest pressure area.

You might find that you're not getting enough cooling.

Maybe if you could run that air to a really low pressure area, you could use that duct to extract air and then run a more convention setup to feed air to the brakes.
            I used a Revopoint Pop 3 (I think) to scan the car and the Revo Studio software to generate all the meshes and merges. Then imported them all into Onshape and have been using that to design the duct. There's definitely a learning curve to Onshape, but I do like it. Coolest part is that it's cloud based, so I can open up models on my phone, which is really handy when I'm down in the garage.
            ​​​​​​
            And yep! Plan is to pull air out through the calipers. I was hoping I'd be able to duct to a low pressure area or build a passive venturi vacuum generator to get the air out. But the more I think about it, the more it seems like I should just make these things active. Stick a fan on the flange and build a small duct to guide the air out of the wheel well nicely. If it's going to be active, then might as well do it properly and add temp sensors and a microcontroller to control fan speed.

This whole idea came to life because the design of the CSL rotors doesn't promote the most airflow from hub to rotor veins. Will likely still install some Bry5on style scoops (will need to adapt his design to my modified dust shield, but that should be simple) to get some extra air to the hub, but this duct I'm designing should help with pad and dust boot temps/life even without those.

Comment

Track day went awesome. Weather was perfect (cool all day, no rain) and there ended up being a great group of people there. Tons of fun.

M3 friends:

Name:	20240311_110044.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	258082

Name:	IMG_20240318_134530.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	258083

And of course the girodisc dust boots did not survive. Found a melted one on each front caliper:

Name:	20240317_131950.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	258084

Name:	IMG_20240317_123905.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	258085

Also, got my 3D printer and continued with the brake duct development. First prototype on the left and latest on the right:

Name:	20240318_120840.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	258086

Test fitted the third one from the left:

Name:	20240317_132558.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	258087

Name:	20240317_133014.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	258088

Name:	20240317_133252.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	258089

Fits great! Newest version has the fan clocked differently for better clearance and has a slightly different front mounting tab design, but is otherwise the same.

Speaking of the fan, I decided that it would be much easier to test the duct performance with one, so I went this route instead of the originally planned passive vacuum generation. I'm still not sure if the fan will live on the duct or if it will live in the belly pan and be connected to the duct with some hose. The fan itself isn't too heavy, but it spins up to 16k rpm, so it puts a decent amount of torque on the duct when the wheel is turned. Having it in the belly pan means I can go to a more powerful fan too if needed. I'll have to do some (destructive) testing and decide if I want to move it or not. More to come

Comment

Friend asked me how the duct mounts to the caliper, so I took some screenshots of the CAD to explain. Figured I'd share here as well for future reference.

Basically, the duct has two tabs that go around that black pad securing pin on the calipers. Problem is that the pad spring clip needs to be compressed for the pin to get installed and then a cotter pin needs to be installed on the pin, so the duct can't be in the way of any of that. To solve this, I made the front tab a separate part. I was originally going to go with a removable top (seen in one of the prototypes above), but the locating features ended up being too small to print reliably. Install process is as follows.

First, the caliper is assembled with just the front mounting tab in place:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 5.19.52 PM.png
Views:	175
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	258115

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 4.54.17 PM.png
Views:	199
Size:	1,020.8 KB
ID:	258111

Note: this tab also serves to locate the caliper front/rear so that it can't move around and slip off, hence that boxy feature up front.

Then the duct is installed, making sure that the rear tab goes over the rear protruding part of the pad pin:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 4.55.47 PM.png
Views:	181
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	258112

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 4.55.18 PM.png
Views:	198
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	258113

After that, the duct simply slips over the front tab and gets secured to it with a cotter pin (identical to the one used in the pad pin):

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 5.17.02 PM.png
Views:	196
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	258114

Very easy to install, but we'll have to see how those tabs hold up to vibration and heat cycles. Especially true for the front one, as it needs to be pretty thin to not interfere with the pad when the pistons are fully retracted.

Comment

Can we talk about that PT Cruiser though, how did that thing do
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                    Can we talk about that PT Cruiser though, how did that thing do
                    Lol it was there getting a shakedown. Was hilarious to drive. Much more fun than expected.

It's fully racecar'd btw. TC design cage, zero interior anything, bucket, six point harness, fire suppression, etc. Pretty sure that a good part of the reason why it was fun to drive on track was because it's so light. Extremely slow though.

Comment

That's hilarious and awesome lol. We used to have a SRT-4 when I worked at Modified Magazine in a former life. The turbo PT Cruisers have the same engine. Honestly it was way more fun than I thought it could be.
                      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

The ducting is a cool project! what material are you planning on printing the final version out of?
                        2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                        Build Thread:
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                          That's hilarious and awesome lol. We used to have a SRT-4 when I worked at Modified Magazine in a former life. The turbo PT Cruisers have the same engine. Honestly it was way more fun than I thought it could be.
                          Hell yeah. This PT3RS is the only PT Cruiser I've ever driven, so no idea how a stock one drives. But I agree, this thing is way more fun than it has any right to be.

Originally posted by karter16 View Post
                          The ducting is a cool project! what material are you planning on printing the final version out of?
                          Yeah, it's been pretty fun so far! Prototypes have been ABS, but the duct I'll test with will be PET-CF: https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/pet-cf

Heat deflection temperature of 205 C, so just barely enough based on what I've measured on track. Hoping that the fast moving air helps even further with having it not melt, but we'll see. Worst case, I'll print a mold and make it out of actual CF or stamped aluminum or something.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Hell yeah. This PT3RS is the only PT Cruiser I've ever driven, so no idea how a stock one drives. But I agree, this thing is way more fun than it has any right to be.

Yeah, it's been pretty fun so far! Prototypes have been ABS, but the duct I'll test with will be PET-CF: https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/pet-cf

Heat deflection temperature of 205 C, so just barely enough based on what I've measured on track. Hoping that the fast moving air helps even further with having it not melt, but we'll see. Worst case, I'll print a mold and make it out of actual CF or stamped aluminum or something.
                            CF will probably do worse than PET-CF unless you use a polyester resin as the matrix instead of epoxy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

CF will probably do worse than PET-CF unless you use a polyester resin as the matrix instead of epoxy.
                              Really? The reason I mentioned CF is because some random website told me epoxy resin was good up to around 300 C. You have more experience with this than me though.

I'm trying to avoid the composite thing because I think it'll be very hard to get right. Hopefully the PET-CF survives.

Comment

I can help you make one sided molds for aluminum or steel ‘stamping’ if that’s where we end up. No problem
                                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Working...
                                X