RACP Failure After Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

The new bolts are longer so they can reach to the top cups. There is a guide included that threads into place where existing bolts are (remove existing bolt, thread the guide in) to help guide the long drill, but that does not require dropping the subframe. You do need to get under the car since that work is done from the bottom.
    Hi is it the same for the Vincebar installation? We don't need to drop the subframe for that ? In this case if I still want to do lower racp plate, it feels I need to have two quotes of the job. One Vincebar and one lower plate. If racp does not have crack, can I just install Vincebar?

Comment

Originally posted by freezingair View Post

Hi is it the same for the Vincebar installation? We don't need to drop the subframe for that ? In this case if I still want to do lower racp plate, it feels I need to have two quotes of the job. One Vincebar and one lower plate. If racp does not have crack, can I just install Vincebar?
      you cant do the plates with the subframe in the way. You might as well drop it and inspect the entire area to be sure what needs to be done. The vincebar is all in the trunk and cabin, but it would definitely be easier with the subframe out of the way for drilling up through from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post

you cant do the plates with the subframe in the way. You might as well drop it and inspect the entire area to be sure what needs to be done. The vincebar is all in the trunk and cabin, but it would definitely be easier with the subframe out of the way for drilling up through from the bottom.
        I see, thanks. got it so it is totally possible to install the Vincebar or cmp bar without removing the subframe. I may do them in two steps first install lower plate and then save money for installong the top bar later. Does it waste labor time by your experience, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by freezingair View Post

I see, thanks. got it so it is totally possible to install the Vincebar or cmp bar without removing the subframe. I may do them in two steps first install lower plate and then save money for installong the top bar later. Does it waste labor time by your experience, thanks.
          Cant speak to the CMP, i did the vincebar myself so thats what i know about. I dont think youll save much labor or money doing them seperately. The plates will require removing the subframe and the vincebar will be much easier with it removed. the amount of work that goes into each invidual job is quite a lot, adding them together is going to be advantageous in the long run.

its a big job but once its done you should be good to go. As so many have said before, ‘buy once, cry once’

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
            Off topic but regarding CMP Solid Subframe Raising Bushings. Anyone run them? Are the worth it? How is the NVH?
            Lovely quality but i feel the shifting now on the SMG is so much harsher. I'll switchback to OE Subframe bushes in he future if I can be bothered.

Comment

If anybody needs to replace the entire RACP on his E46 M3 soon, there is only ONE new panel left at BMW Germany. That’s what my dealer told me this morning when I pick up mine:
              Attached Files
              2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
              2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
              2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                If anybody needs to replace the entire RACP on his E46 M3 soon, there is only ONE new panel left at BMW Germany. That’s what my dealer told me this morning when I pick up mine:
                How much was that just out of curiosity?
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

How much was that just out of curiosity?
                  Last fall, dealer quoted me at $2500CAD+tx. Finally, I ordered it 3 weeks ago thru same dealer at $1500CAD+tx!! haha

Just got a new welder, first time I will try it will be on this RACP job!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gt4; 02-23-2023, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Last fall, dealer quoted me at $2500CAD+tx. Finally, I ordered it 3 weeks ago thru same dealer at $1500CAD+tx!! haha

Just got a new welder, first time I will try it will be on this RACP job!
                    How bad is the floor that your decided on the entire panel??

YOU always go full out with your parts and upgrades! BRAVO!

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post

How bad is the floor that your decided on the entire panel??

YOU always go full out with your parts and upgrades! BRAVO!
                      Really bad!!!

Long story short, previous owner went to a local shop for an inspection/quote to fix the RACP and the shop quoted him 10000$ CAD to replace the RACP and offered to buy the car for 8000$ CAD instead!! His friend than contacted me and offered me the car cause he knew I was able to fix it myself and that I would do a complete restauration of the car.

Car is a 2001/02 HEA package so one of the first E46 M3 in Canada.

The car previously had Turner plates welded. Than, when spot weld start to pop, someone tought it would be a good idea to fix it with undercoating… So problem got worst and it look like this now:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Than, when spot weld start to pop, someone tought it would be a good idea to fix it with undercoating…
                        Ah they probably used regular undercoating instead of the structural stuff. Easy mistake to make.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Ah they probably used regular undercoating instead of the structural stuff. Easy mistake to make.
                          I mean they shoot rattle can undercoating, just to hide or seal the panel splitting probably when it first start!

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

LOL!!

Thats a project and a half.. God Speed with You on that one..

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post

LOL!!

Thats a project and a half.. God Speed with You on that one..
                              Replacing the RACP shouldn’t be that bad. Let say I did bigger projects in the past. Check this thread to see some previous build I made. Doing RACP is going to be easier than stitch welding a complete race car!!!
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...us-your-builds

Comment

Really bad!!!
                                The car previously had Turner plates welded. Than, when spot weld start to pop, someone tought it would be a good idea to fix it with undercoating… So problem got worst and it look like this now:
                                Wow! I'm interested to see how much movement on the diff when moving from stop forward and reverse in current condition, in video

Comment

Working...
                                X