Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1x1 is definitely the only way to go on these

Comment

These manufacturers should start replicating the headliner base if they wish to keep selling the roof panels...

Comment

Originally posted by Rokoz View Post
        1x1 is definitely the only way to go on these
        Is it?

Counterpoint to this. I actually like seeing new products and looks developed for this platform. It's not the same ol' same ol'. So long as it's of high quality and tastefully done (which, taste is subjective so who am I to say what's tasteful or not), I'm on board for seeing new things. Otherwise it's just another replica...

Embrace the creativity!

-large weave carbon roof guy
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Does anyone have a definitive installer in LA/OC with a reasonable price? About ready to throw my Karb roof on.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

You can go to 2M in San Diego, those guys have done a lot of these.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Is it?

Counterpoint to this. I actually like seeing new products and looks developed for this platform. It's not the same ol' same ol'. So long as it's of high quality and tastefully done (which, taste is subjective so who am I to say what's tasteful or not), I'm on board for seeing new things. Otherwise it's just another replica...

Embrace the creativity!

-large weave carbon roof guy
              Werd! Once the roof panel comes in, I’m making mine from a spread tow cloth. It’s the same stuff used in F1.

F1 doesn’t use a plain 1x1. It’s actually inferior in terms of weight and performance. 1x1 has more tow intersections where a tow goes up and over or under another tow. These spots increase resin consumption which adds weight with no improvement in the performance (stiffness, strength, toughness.

A spread tow is a higher performing option since it flattens the carbon, reduces the # of intersections and reduced resin consumption. I’ve seen a spread tow composite can be 20% lighter…haven’t verified that. But when you see carbon fiber on F1 cars…it’s a spread tow fabric.

A 1x1 weave is lower cost and more cosmetically appealing.

Spread tow is 20% to 50% more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Werd! Once the roof panel comes in, I’m making mine from a spread tow cloth. It’s the same stuff used in F1.

F1 doesn’t use a plain 1x1. It’s actually inferior in terms of weight and performance. 1x1 has more tow intersections where a tow goes up and over or under another tow. These spots increase resin consumption which adds weight with no improvement in the performance (stiffness, strength, toughness.

A spread tow is a higher performing option since it flattens the carbon, reduces the # of intersections and reduced resin consumption. I’ve seen a spread tow composite can be 20% lighter…haven’t verified that. But when you see carbon fiber on F1 cars…it’s a spread tow fabric.

A 1x1 weave is lower cost and more cosmetically appealing.

Spread tow is 20% to 50% more expensive.
                Can you share what that pattern looks like?

Comment

It looks kind of like a checkerboard. Probably won’t see it except on higher end custom race cars like a Radical.

I have yet to use it on the gloss/cosmetic side but here are some pics…

Click image for larger version

Name:	C7A66971-CA73-4B43-AD56-5DE85D607A7A.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	254319 Click image for larger version

Name:	E4BBB81E-64C3-4954-A3C5-6E83533DED9F.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	254320 Click image for larger version

Name:	BFCEA906-051F-4A0E-A049-01F0C98812C8.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	254321 Click image for larger version

Name:	D0EFAE8F-2287-418E-9F39-A9B84FABA751.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	254322

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                    You can go to 2M in San Diego, those guys have done a lot of these.
                    Yeah when I called them, they quoted $2500 and then when I said no thanks they called me back right away and said they'd do it for $2000. Maybe if I go over there in person and offer cash they will give me a more reasonable rate.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Yeah when I called them, they quoted $2500 and then when I said no thanks they called me back right away and said they'd do it for $2000. Maybe if I go over there in person and offer cash they will give me a more reasonable rate.
                      TBH I think $2k is not that far off
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

$2k seems like cheap labor for something like this.
                        Last edited by discoelk; 02-21-2024, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks bigjae46 didn't want to assume.

Comment

I've actually seen a guy selling an Imola Red E46 M3
                            with a carbon roof AND sunroof still installed. He claims its the only one apparently.

Comment

It's probably just a regular roof with a carbon fiber look vinyl wrap, which is like, double stupidity.
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                                Thanks bigjae46 didn't want to assume.
                                Here’s a really good picture. After seeing this I’m definitely doing my roof in spread tow! The seam in the middle kind of ruins the cosmetics but the rest looks fantastic! Just waiting for the damned metal roof to come in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4B6CCBCB-9BC8-4679-872A-1A5E1C424F3E.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	255268

Comment

Working...
                                X