Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlimited Money-What is your first move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Full weight/interior street car S85 touring with 6MT and AC

Similar same setup but S54 and not corner balanced.

************************​ IIRC the fuel tanks were 4-5 gallons different in fill quantity.

IMO the biggest challenge is the steering shaft, it goes right through some exhaust port outlets. DME's can now be CAS deleted to run stand alone. But running an MSS65 DME and stock cluster is still a challenge, Awron has a solution, but I'm not sure its the best route. Put a datalogger/dash in it though and problem solved.
    I stand corrected. That's pretty awesome. How do these swaps complicate routine maintenance though? Jay Leno had a 1-series with a s65 swap on. The guy said he had to drop the front sub-frame just to change the plugs.

Comment

​Looks like a MK20 car.

Do you have anymore info on this setup, would love to see it.
      Hmm, the brake fluid reservoir makes me think it's an MK60.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
        Understood. I would have said/want the same thing 3yrs ago. Maxecu is far superior than the stock ECU or any other ECU when it comes BMW CAN Integration. Not to mention their amazing customer services than can write literally a CAN function if its not available.

Hopefully ill get to build my dream in the e46 in the next few year it will definitely be running MaxECU not that dinosaur brick .
        I'm not arguing that a MaxxECU isn't a superior ECU hardware and flexibility wise. BUT I will say that it is my opinion that a layman/end user (and not a tuner with unlimited time) will NEVER get the drivability as good as a stock DME file. With that said I'm putting a Maxx on my turbo M52, so no hate there, but I just don't think the all around drivability will be as good as BMWs file. Plus now you have to package it in the car and integrate into the wiring harness, not the end of the world but certainly not as easy as most stock DMEs. Also some of the cars need to be emissions complaint and you can't do that with an aftermarket ECU.

And along those lines, my E46 will likely start off with an AiM dash setup to integrate with the MSS65 CAN... which will be how I get around the chassis integration issue until we work out a permanent street car solution that is being planned.

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
        I stand corrected. That's pretty awesome. How do these swaps complicate routine maintenance though? Jay Leno had a 1-series with a s65 swap on. The guy said he had to drop the front sub-frame just to change the plugs.
        Maybe? IDK, I've never seen an S65 1M, but IIRC the engine bay is exactly the same as an E9x (same part numbers for the strut towers) so maybe there was more to his issue?

*Actually I just looked it up. Yes, the strut tower and firewall is the same between E82/E9x... and E84

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	313
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	240474

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Hmm, the brake fluid reservoir makes me think it's an MK60.
        Maybe MK60 in MK20 location then, hard to tell, the MK20 has all (6) brake lines on one side and that looks like maybe just (4). If that's the case I wonder if the DSC works or just ABS... or does it use the E39 Bosch ABS with a pre-charge pump?
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I'm not arguing that a MaxxECU isn't a superior ECU hardware and flexibility wise. BUT I will say that it is my opinion that a layman/end user (and not a tuner with unlimited time) will NEVER get the drivability as good as a stock DME file. With that said I'm putting a Maxx on my turbo M52, so no hate there, but I just don't think the all around drivability will be as good as BMWs file. Plus now you have to package it in the car and integrate into the wiring harness, not the end of the world but certainly not as easy as most stock DMEs. Also some of the cars need to be emissions complaint and you can't do that with an aftermarket ECU.

And along those lines, my E46 will likely start off with an AiM dash setup to integrate with the MSS65 CAN... which will be how I get around the chassis integration issue until we work out a permanent street car solution that is being planned.

Neither was i, i was just pointing out that max ecu is much more ahead of its competitor when it comes to CAN integration.

as for drivability, If you were to utilizes all the input individual cylinder EGT, Lamba, Etc i bet you can get running better than STOCK this will be for MSS6x or older ecus.

Now back to the main topic, people are quick to say swap s65/s85 in an e46. Goodbye to chassis/vehicle dynamics as you will always have to comprimise fo
          Tires,Brakes,suspension etc. The s54 is perfect for the E46. it just need less weight.

If money wasn't an issue and i have to stick to an e46 chassis, full carbon chassis with a stock CSL Power level 360PS.

Perfect chassis for an S85 will be any of the E8x/E9x chassis not an e46.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.6 KB ID:	240527 Click image for larger version  Name:	f7bc35db-ff4b-4ec2-9195-0939aa0b6274.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.9 KB ID:	240528 Click image for larger version  Name:	e80f4260-0a9e-45f0-a912-121d643a3312.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	240530

Attached Files
          Last edited by ZiMMie; 11-03-2023, 04:46 AM.

Comment

^that’s why this was my pick:

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            The e46 carbon monocoque SLON is working on.

Pretty sure that one is otherwise going to be outside of my budget.
            … Though I don’t think the s85 makes a ton of sense in the e90, since the e90 chassis is only 72 pounds later than the e60 chassis, comparing like for like (as in, same engine/trans/idrive/sunroom between e90 and e60).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Maybe? IDK, I've never seen an S65 1M, but IIRC the engine bay is exactly the same as an E9x (same part numbers for the strut towers) so maybe there was more to his issue?

*Actually I just looked it up. Yes, the strut tower and firewall is the same between E82/E9x... and E84

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	313
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	240474

Maybe MK60 in MK20 location then, hard to tell, the MK20 has all (6) brake lines on one side and that looks like maybe just (4). If that's the case I wonder if the DSC works or just ABS... or does it use the E39 Bosch ABS with a pre-charge pump?
              S65 1M conversion details if you're interested

Comment

^that’s why this was my pick:

… Though I don’t think the s85 makes a ton of sense in the e90, since the e90 chassis is only 72 pounds later than the e60 chassis, comparing like for like (as in, same engine/trans/idrive/sunroom between e90 and e60).
                You're really only doing that to avoid E60 issues The shorter wheelbase probably makes it more toss-able.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  S65 1M conversion details if you're interested
                  Sorry, I meant I've never seen one in person. I've done an S65-E91 swap, so I'm familiar with the swap in general.
                  '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

e82 is so similar to e92, that even front turrets, front frame rails etc, has the same part numbers (its a one car with 2 length options and different exterior design). two chassis differs in the rear passenger floor - e82 shorter on 10cm.
                    we have swapped 2 cars and this swap goes like oem.
                    more interesting facts:
                    e92 m3 front subframe has 8 mounting points over any usual non M subframe with 6 mounting points. so zero e82 cars with 8 point subframe from factory. and you can take m3 subframe and simply install it on e82 chassis, cause it has those 2 additional threads already, on all chassis.
                    you can even take stainless steel fuel line from e92 m3 and fit it to e82 chassis - you only need to cut and weld it under the rear passenger floor.

so nice story about plugs change .

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post
                      e82 is so similar to e92, that even front turrets, front frame rails etc, has the same part numbers (its a one car with 2 length options and different exterior design). two chassis differs in the rear passenger floor - e82 shorter on 10cm.
                      more interesting facts:
                      e92 m3 front subframe has 8 mounting points over any usual non M subframe with 6 mounting points. so zero e82 cars with 8 point subframe from factory. and you can take m3 subframe and simply install it on e82 chassis, cause it has those 2 additional threads already, on all chassis.
                      you can even take stainless steel fuel line from e92 m3 and fit it to e82 chassis - you only need to cut and weld it under the rear passenger floor.

Given all that, pretty crazy the e92 M3 is 500-600 lb heavier than a 128i, carbon roof, plastic fenders, and all.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

more interesting facts:

Also interesting that everything applies to the E84 as well...

Comment

Given all that, pretty crazy the e92 M3 is 500-600 lb heavier than a 128i, carbon roof, plastic fenders, and all.
                          with the similar config (s65+dct) - about 80kg difference between cars.
                          more powerful engine in most cases pull a lot of other heavier and beefy things - dct, clutch, driveshaft, differential, etc even brakes usually larger, even more options inside the cabin.
                          so comparison with 128i not truly correct.

Comment

Also interesting that everything applies to the E84 as well...
                            same front structure of the chassis (same part numbers), so i'd guess maybe not like e82 vs e92, but also possible.

Comment

same front structure of the chassis (same part numbers), so i'd guess maybe not like e82 vs e92, but also possible.
                              I've been waiting to see someone S65 the E84, it would be quirky for sure, but potentially closer to an E90 M3 than not wiring wise.

Comment

with the similar config (s65+dct) - about 80kg difference between cars.
                                more powerful engine in most cases pull a lot of other heavier and beefy things - dct, clutch, driveshaft, differential, etc even brakes usually larger, even more options inside the cabin.
                                so comparison with 128i not truly correct.

Yeah, I meant that as crazy how much weight the m parts add.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X