No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having my roll bar and rear brace done right now, we are using a Prismatic powder and IIRC the color is Spanish Gold. Good point on the color darkening though, I might be able to offset that by doing a little lighter on the calipers. I get really annoyed when colors that are supposed to match clash because they are off by small amounts, so that may be an issue lol.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
      I'm gonna powder coat them. Same guy who did my E36 brakes, I watched and documented the process and the piston bores are masked off.

Last question for now, what's a known to be good source for high temp Brembo decals (black)
      Been a while, but pretty sure I got them on Amazon. Seller had high temp stickers in various colors and sizes.

D-O
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Only came here to say that I just discovered this thread and so glad I did - will be adding this to the list of future OEM+ modifications I'd like to do on mine, this is fantastic. Thank you for such a detailed write up and DIY!
        - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

So, feeling like I'm missing something obvious here.

The OE Porsche pads that came with my calipers are at end of life, so I ordered new one using the PN in this thread (99635294903)-- which I don't think is wrong, as FCP agrees that's a stock 996 front pad.

The pads that came have the same pad shape in the portion that goes into the caliper, but there's an extra bit of flange up top that prevents the anti rattle clip from being used.

... what am I missing? I'm fine with no anti rattle clips on track, but on the street that'll almost certainly be way too annoying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3067.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	629.0 KB
ID:	219496

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	219495

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	585.1 KB
ID:	219494
          Attached Files

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

The OE Porsche pads that came with my calipers are at end of life, so I ordered new one using the PN in this thread (99635294903)-- which I don't think is wrong, as FCP agrees that's a stock 996 front pad.

The pads that came have the same pad shape in the portion that goes into the caliper, but there's an extra bit of flange up top that prevents the anti rattle clip from being used.

... what am I missing? I'm fine with no anti rattle clips on track, but on the street that'll almost certainly be way too annoying.
            Turns out the answer is I need an different version of the anti rattle clip than came with my calipers.

This is what I need: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...11-52843010001

Name:	POR-99635195901.jpg?1617991979.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	219499

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Porsche did a part update in 2010 or so to their pads and clips for that generation of brakes. My dad and I ran into that issue 7 or so years ago on his Cayman. This is sort of common Porsche knowledge but we are not Porsche owners in general and this is a BMW website. Easy to miss and next thing you know, you're out $30 for no reason.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Anyone have experience with SHW Performance rotors? FCP says they're OE and made in Germany, but I haven't heard of the brand before. Full set comes out ~$250 cheaper than genuine BMW.

Example: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...r-shw-bfr44461
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I think it's like "VNE" and other companies that resell OE parts. ABelectrik makes our TPS, but "VNE" buys them wholesale and resells them. You buy the VNE part on FCPeuro, but you receive an ABE part with the BMW logo ground off (or never imprinted).

These "SHW" rotors are still BMW (ATE?) rotors.

I was about to buy these SHW rotors (for E90 M3), but I ended up getting the same price buying OE bmw from a bmw dealership (husker - bmwdirectparts.com). Might want to cross-shop by part #, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the SHW from FCP if there is a price difference.

Coincidentally, I received an email from Eeuroparts.com advertising 5% off SHW brake parts (June20-24), so that might be worth looking into - though I don't know what their starting price point is, relative to FCP or any other source.
                  Last edited by Tbonem3; 06-20-2023, 09:54 AM.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Yeah that makes sense. I'll shop around, but I'll be using these on track, so the SHW rotors from FCP are tempting.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

I always thought that Zimmermann were the OE ZCP rotors.
                      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
                        I always thought that Zimmermann were the OE ZCP rotors.
                        Same, but FCP labels Zimmermann as aftermarket, so not sure what to make of that.

For what it's worth Zimmermann and VNE are also labeled as aftermarket for the non-ZCP euro rotors. Makes me think they're all the same, just rebranded.

But anyway, SHW is the cheaper than Zimmermann and labeled OE, so I'll likely stick with those.

Comment

Oe is ate I believe. I saw it stamped on the rotors when I installed them with my 996 conversion.

Technically speaking, since Zimmermann supplies parts to BMW (and probably other German brands), they'd be considered OEM. Aftermarket would be a part made by a company that doesn't supply any parts to major brand/factory. OE of course is the actual brand/part that our came with. Ate is oe for the solid discs and calipers and I'm pretty sure the euro semi floating discs as well.

Comment

Any thoughts on 996 BBK clearance with E39-spec'd BBS RG-Rs? I have a set of 996 calipers being prepped but was looking to plan ahead in terms of fitment with the current wheel setup.
                            • 18x8.5 ET22 Front
                            • 18x10 ET25 Rear
                            The general consensus seems to be that it won't clear, and I believe Repoman has already test fitted them and found that it won't clear,

But I was also able to find someone who did get them to work with E46-spec RG-Rs (18x8.5 ET38 Fronts) with a 12mm spacer up front (guessing based on the owner's previous posts):

A 12 mm spacer would effectively make the front specs 18x8.5 ET26.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	996BBK.png Views:	0 Size:	941.2 KB ID:	224049
                            Thread about the wheels shown above: 18" BBS R-GR's w/Porsche 996 BBK Fitment - NA M3 Forums

Comment

It'll depend partly on the design of the wheel (spokes) not just width/offset. Every wheel is different. I thought for sure I'd be ok with the 9"et30 Arc-8s, but still needed 5mm minimum to clear. My 8.5et29 E90 M3 wheels fit perfectly, however, but I noticed that the spokes on those are quite scalloped or curving out (convex), so it cleared the big 996. The ARC8 spokes are straight, thus they strike the calipers at an offset below et25 it seems.

Just guessing, I'd say 8.5"et22 WOULD fit without a spacer, but have a 3mm-5mm on hand just in case?
                              Last edited by Tbonem3; 07-03-2023, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                Just guessing, I'd say 8.5"et22 WOULD fit without a spacer, but have a 3mm-5mm on hand just in case?
                                It doesn’t and it’s not even close with RGRs. On that particular wheel the hub mounting area and spokes are all basically the same shape and the different offsets are created by just shifting the barrel and where it mounts to the spokes in and out. As the above poster read somewhere, I did try it with my set that I bought for my M5. I would have bought another set if they fit for sure, the design is perfection IMO.

The only non-rep 18” wheel that I personally like and have found so far that will fit properly without spacers are a custom set of LMs for $10k. Maybe someday but I’m using my ZCPs for now with 18/12mm spacers.

Comment

Working...
                                X