Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

I installed mine. They help reduce noice from the piston contacting the pad.
    Thanks! Did you get new front ones or reuse the ones that were with the calipers you used?

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
      Thanks! Did you get new front ones or reuse the ones that were with the calipers you used?
      I bought and used all new ones.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I just wanna add that Rockauto has the Centric(StopTech) rebuild kits for pretty cheap, for dustboot and pressure seals. The caliper hardware kits are cheap too.

Just search for 2000 Porsche 911 Carrera (non S).

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
          Did you guys install the brake shims below or can you leave them off?
          Make sure to apply anti seize to the front ones so you don’t end up with these stuck inside the pistons.
          TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I said screw it on the stickers but they really do reduce the oscillations. That's what causes the noises in brakes. When you push the pad to the rotor, it'll create multiple harmonics and it'll be one of those you hear. The pads are dampened with the idea that it'll help deaden certain frequencies out. The sticker dampener is probably the biggest key to reducing noise along with grease on the sliding points. Sometimes it can literally be as simple as a spring being uneven on the pads. Once I remember to download it, I'll post the Porsche TI on brake noises. It applies to all vehicles and explains it in depth better than I could ever
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Here's the link to the TSB explaining brake noise.
              I said I would post the TI when I got the chance so here it is. I'll put the pictures in following posts

Comment

Anyone know if the PFC 2 piece rotors work with the 996 kit?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
                  If the millimeters are the same, I don't see why they wouldn't. Rotors are basically all the same shape. They sort of have to be. The calipers don't move and the inner portion of the rotor doesn't. It'd take a lot of unnecessary material to make them touch. Remember these calipers are just Brembos on a budget. I can imagine PFC wouldn't design something that wouldn't clear Brembo upgrades. Just like rotors, calipers have to generally be designed the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
                    You might get away with it using the pad that has a 5mm shorter anulus. Look at the original post for the part numbers. I remember the PFC 2-piece requiring a specific pad shape that was PFC-only to clear the 2-piece hardware.
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

If the millimeters are the same, I don't see why they wouldn't. Rotors are basically all the same shape. They sort of have to be. The calipers don't move and the inner portion of the rotor doesn't. It'd take a lot of unnecessary material to make them touch. Remember these calipers are just Brembos on a budget. I can imagine PFC wouldn't design something that wouldn't clear Brembo upgrades. Just like rotors, calipers have to generally be designed the same way.
                      I remember reading about an issue on e36's with this kit + 2 piece PFC rotors where the pad interfered with the rotor hat, whereas they worked fine with the 345mm oem rotors, which is why I was curious if anyone had first hand experience on the e46 platform. What you said makes complete sense, and that's what I thought as well until I read about said issue.

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

You might get away with it using the pad that has a 5mm shorter anulus. Look at the original post for the part numbers. I remember the PFC 2-piece requiring a specific pad shape that was PFC-only to clear the 2-piece hardware.
                      Ah ok. I was not aware the PFC required a different pad for their 2 piece rotors. I guess this makes what was said above make sense as well. Good to know. Might have to be a guinea pig for this one as I really like the PFC rotors, however might not be worth it considering the price of the PFC rotors vs going with OE + FCP euro warranty.
                      Last edited by fullyflaredd; 01-04-2021, 03:06 AM.

Comment

What is the going rate on fair priced calipers currently? (used/pre-refinishing) I've been seeing from $600-$800 for a full set.
                        2003 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Black

Comment

I just paid $650 shipped for a full set of 4

Comment

I paid $600 Shipped for mine that had 18k on them.
                            TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                            Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                            Evolve Eventuri
                            - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Does anyone have a complete list of torque specs for all the bolts associated with this upgrade? Thanks!!

Comment

I'm wondering if I should go orange calipers or try to match interlagos blue on my IB ZCP
                                I hate yellow car accents and never liked superman combos (blue and red), anybody have any other color suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X