Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When applying sealant like Drei Bond, do I use a finger to smear it evenly or just bead it on and place the gasket and let it do the work?

Comment

Originally posted by sbay View Post
      When applying sealant like Drei Bond, do I use a finger to smear it evenly or just bead it on and place the gasket and let it do the work?
      Either works and a little goes a long way. The goal is to only fill/seal the gap between two mated parts, like the VANOS unit and cylinder head where the VCG cannot completely seal.
      Last edited by Slideways; 05-24-2024, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Funny – I actually just watched part of an M539 Restorations video where Sreten talks about this. Relevant discussion starts around the 10-minute mark: https://youtu.be/XsV0h-9z86c?si=Ul0vhSBIFx9k0tOA&t=606

He favors the finger smear method. OTOH, every factory assembly video I've seen just had a bead.

Either way, the most important point is what Slideways said: only fill the gaps.

Be conservative. If you use too little and it leaks later, that's annoying – but you use too much and the excess sealant ends up inside your engine, that could be a bad day.
        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
          Funny – I actually just watched part of an M539 Restorations video where Sreten talks about this. Relevant discussion starts around the 10-minute mark: https://youtu.be/XsV0h-9z86c?si=Ul0vhSBIFx9k0tOA&t=606

He favors the finger smear method. OTOH, every factory assembly video I've seen just had a bead.

Either way, the most important point is what Slideways said: only fill the gaps.

Be conservative. If you use too little and it leaks later, that's annoying – but you use too much and the excess sealant ends up inside your engine, that could be a bad day.
          Thank you IamFODI and Slideways ! Might just stick to the finger method I’ve been using then. Even though both methods work perfectly fine, finger smear just looks a bit cleaner and in a sense, you have more control over how it spreads.
          Last edited by sbay; 05-24-2024, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Not really a dumb question, more of a dumb answer that maybe will help someone or me in the future.

I factory coded my car in NCS after altering the vehicle order to remove things that I’ve deleted (nav, sunroof etc), which restored my airbag module to the stock coding. I had previously removed the occupancy sensor option to install my Nogaros. I found that the ABG module will NOT code using sg_codieren with the Expert Mode profile despite other modules coding just fine. I tried like 20 times .. despite the flashing airbag light indicating activity it wouldn’t take the new coding.

You have to use the FSW_PSW profile for some reason for that module. I discovered this last time and forgot. All restored now.

edited: alright, maybe this is common knowledge or just a quirk of my NCS install. Just recoded the cluster to get back the CSL oil level monitor and it also pretended to code in expert mode but didn’t take. Had to again use the other profile. Most people seem to have NCS Dummy or that Revtor profile which my install doesn’t have.
            Last edited by repoman89; 05-27-2024, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Are these scratches or cracks in my RTAB cups? Just dropped the rear subframe and found these. They don't feel like cracks, more like raised scratches?

Tempted to do the rtab reinforcement while the subframe is out. Although none of the kits I saw reinforce the internal pocked area, just the surrounding mount.

Car is a track car, did have to weld topside rear subframe cracks last summer.

Any advice or words of wisdom?
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post
                Are these scratches or cracks in my RTAB cups? Just dropped the rear subframe and found these. They don't feel like cracks, more like raised scratches?

Tempted to do the rtab reinforcement while the subframe is out. Although none of the kits I saw reinforce the internal pocked area, just the surrounding mount.

Car is a track car, did have to weld topside rear subframe cracks last summer.

Any advice or words of wisdom?
                Thanks!]
                Those look like scratches. I think I have seen alignment shops stick pry bars or a long flat head screw drivers in that area to move the RTAB bracket for toe adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Those look like scratches. I think I have seen alignment shops stick pry bars or a long flat head screw drivers in that area to move the RTAB bracket for toe adjustment.
                  Ahh that would make total sense! I was wondering how that scratch could even happen. Thanks for the speedy response

Comment

What model years got the HP DME compatible with CSL intake/tune? I have a 10/2004 Build.

Is this something that I could tell by date alone, or would I need to pull the DME?

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post
                      What model years got the HP DME compatible with CSL intake/tune? I have a 10/2004 Build.

Is this something that I could tell by date alone, or would I need to pull the DME?
                      High chance You have a HP DME

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post

Iirc I think it's like mid 03 was the crossover point. I think my build date is 9/2003 and I have an HP DME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2922.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.8 KB ID:	266400 So I took out my center console as the front mounting points rotted to hell and discovered some wires underneath. Anyone know what they’re for?? Also looks like the purple/lavender wire was snipped, not sure if that was intentional or not from previous owner

Comment

Originally posted by dHam_Slow.46M View Post
                            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2922.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.8 KB ID:	266400 So I took out my center console as the front mounting points rotted to hell and discovered some wires underneath. Anyone know what they’re for?? Also looks like the purple/lavender wire was snipped, not sure if that was intentional or not from previous owner
                            This is for a telephone, how it connects to said telephone I don't know.

I used a wire from that connector for switched 12V power, likely the same thing the P.O of your car did.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Crazy, curious question but can you drill the 83mm shifter hole without removing the trans/SMG hardware?
                              Last edited by sbay; 06-05-2024, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbay View Post
                                Crazy, curious question but can you drill the 83mm shifter hole without removing the trans/SMG hardware?
                                Boredom is a helluva drug. Would never recommend, but possible.
                                Last edited by sbay; 06-05-2024, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X