Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe there should be one on the passenger side.

With that said you are supposed to remove it if you put the new euro stlye blade wipers on the car.
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Okay very dumb question. But is it bad to park in gear on a minor to moderate incline with no parking brake for extended periods of time? My car does not have the parking brakes installed at the moment and my driveway is at an angle. I have wheel chocks in place but yea. Just wondering if I’m fucking up or if it’s fine.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I think you're supposed to have it in gear as redundancy. Don't see how it'll hurt the tranny, esp chocked.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
          Okay very dumb question. But is it bad to park in gear on a minor to moderate incline with no parking brake for extended periods of time? My car does not have the parking brakes installed at the moment and my driveway is at an angle. I have wheel chocks in place but yea. Just wondering if I’m fucking up or if it’s fine.
          IMO, I'd rather have the car, whether auto or manual, resting on the parking brake or a set of wheel chocks and to leave it in gear or park as a backup. Should reduce wear and tear on the transmission, which is more costly than a set of parking brake cables or shoes.

Quoting owner's manual - "Always engage the parking brake when parking on downhill roads. Engaging a gear may not provide adequate resistance to rolling."​

Comment

When parking a manual car in gear without anything else holding the car in place, the resistance comes from vacuum in the engine. That's why the OM has the warning that Slideways posted. It's also why you should park in 1st when pointing downhill and in reverse when pointing uphill, so that if the car rolls, the engine won't spin backwards. I'd imagine parking like that on an incline would overcome the engine's resistance and allow the car to roll long before the load was high enough to hurt the trans. But IDK.

Either way, if something else is keeping the car stopped – e-brake, chocks, or whatever – there's no issue. When parking, engage the e-brake (or place the chocks) with the car in neutral, release the main brakes, and then put the car in gear (or park if it's auto) and shut down. If you've done that, you're good.​
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
            Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
            Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
              When parking, engage the e-brake (or place the chocks) with the car in neutral, release the main brakes, and then put the car in gear (or park if it's auto) and shut down. If you've done that, you're good.​
              Yeah this order of operations is the important bit.
              Can also be slightly modified for convenience in your case Nate047 . Park in gear, get out to chock the wheel and then get back in the car to press and release the clutch. This makes it so there's no stress on the transmission/engine.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Interesting, yea I will try it that way. Makes it a two person op since the car will roll if I get out of it to try and place the chocks.

I will get the e-brakes back on the car soon, but unfortunately my other car is giving me the middle finger right now, so I kind of need to fix that short/medium list of issues first before jumping back into the, honestly, still quite long list of problems with my e46. I only have enough room to service one car at a time in the garage, so I have to play musical parking spaces with the others when one is under the knife.
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Do it as Heinz mentioned and it should be a one person job.
                  Last edited by Slideways; 05-19-2024, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah this order of operations is the important bit.
                    Can also be slightly modified for convenience in your case Nate047 . Park in gear, get out to chock the wheel and then get back in the car to press and release the clutch.
                    Right! Thanks for the correction/addition.
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                      Do it as Heinz mentioned and it should be a one person job.
                      Yup I misread that earlier. Car is currently sitting as described.
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                        I don't believe there should be one on the passenger side.

With that said you are supposed to remove it if you put the new euro stlye blade wipers on the car.
                        For fun I asked FCP Euro customer service. Here's what the dude said: "I have confirmed the passenger side is part number 61618263676"

It's clearance and $5 - I'll give it a shot and see what happens, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by bagger View Post

For fun I asked FCP Euro customer service. Here's what the dude said: "I have confirmed the passenger side is part number 61618263676"

It's clearance and $5 - I'll give it a shot and see what happens, heh.
                          I have 14x E46s here and not a single one has the guide on the passenger arm. Keep us posted on what you find.
                          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Is it possible to obtain to a re-print of sorts, of the original window sticker? And I'm talking, the original size, paper, etc. The real deal, reproduction if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I have 14x E46s here and not a single one has the guide on the passenger arm. Keep us posted on what you find.
                              Well I for sure would take your word for it based on that! Right now the shipping costs more than the part recommended. Next time I need some stuff I have it in my list and will snag one if still there (part is listed as clearance on their site).

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                                Is it possible to obtain to a re-print of sorts, of the original window sticker? And I'm talking, the original size, paper, etc. The real deal, reproduction if you will.
                                PRICES FROM $129.95!   Paper Prints | Laminations | Custom Framing Welcome to Stuttgart Studios, where vehicle origin, specs, and pricing come together to create novelty reproduction Monroney window stickers for your European performance sports car! A vehicle window sticker is the most detailed

A bit pricey but here’s a video that shows the quality:

Comment

Working...
                                X