Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a way of getting a hold of the suction cups that are on the foam piece inside a kevlar front bumper? Cant seem to find anywhere to purchase. I unfortunately do not have my original front bumper

Click image for larger version

Name:	32_3b2d86f7-07a5-4c5f-988e-10d94703ed3a.jpg?v=1597334818.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	83047

Click image for larger version  Name:	proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FTpP6YKD.jpg&hash=eb1795eac6c3d74171b5caa2510dc478.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	83045
    Last edited by Good; 02-04-2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Good View Post
      Anyone know of a way of getting a hold of the suction cups that are on the foam piece inside a kevlar front bumper? Cant seem to find anywhere to purchase. I unfortunately do not have my original front bumper
      There used to be a guy on M3forums who parted out M3s...he usually had a good selection of parts. Does anyone remember his name?

Comment

Originally posted by M3Bob View Post

There used to be a guy on M3forums who parted out M3s...he usually had a good selection of parts. Does anyone remember his name?
        Mparts world wide, picked up a set from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post

I understand they will not fit out of the box.

I have the opportunity to purchase a used set for cheap (relatively). And given I'm doing my motor rebuild I'm thinking why not.

Basically what I'm asking; if I take the V1 headers + my section 1 (Status Gruppe) to a local exhaust shop, they should be able to custom fabricate a flange or even flare the 2.25" pipes to fit the V1's no?
          Late reply, but the bigger issue is lack of space in that area. With the larger diameter V1 collectors, pretty much the only connection possible is the slip-joint which is why SS uses it. You may just want to buy the SS section 1 now. No exhaust shop labor either as it will bolt up to factory section 2 (no cats of course).

Love your build, by the way, great job.
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

It’s gonna be one of those “well duh” questions, but do you need all 4 locks on a hardtop or is it just as good with 3 locks? About to buy a hardtop but rear left locking pin is missing so was wondering if it’s safe to drive like that

Comment

Originally posted by erickhoyos View Post
              It’s gonna be one of those “well duh” questions, but do you need all 4 locks on a hardtop or is it just as good with 3 locks? About to buy a hardtop but rear left locking pin is missing so was wondering if it’s safe to drive like that
              It’s safe to drive since it’s the rear. It just won’t sit or fit flush and rain water may leak inside.

Comment

I know this has been covered before but I can't find the specific threads talking about it. For a diff fluid change, would this fluid be good to use?

or is "genuine bmw" diff fluid the one that should be used. Normally I would just go with LM oil in everything but I think I remember reading about someone ruining their diff with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post
                  I know this has been covered before but I can't find the specific threads talking about it. For a diff fluid change, would this fluid be good to use?

or is "genuine bmw" diff fluid the one that should be used. Normally I would just go with LM oil in everything but I think I remember reading about someone ruining their diff with that stuff.
                  Use Genuine BMW

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post

You can add FM to that, the supposed % of FM in the OE BMW stuff is floating around somewhere. I recall that Motorcraft XL-3 (Ford's house brand) works for that.
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Good View Post

Use Genuine BMW
                      I thought Genuine BMW was Castrol SAF-XJ + FM booster. SAF-XJ is now (or has been superseded by?) Syntrax Limited Slip, which has FM booster in it.
                      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

The only retail Castrol syntranx I've ever been able to find (with FM in it) is the 75w90 bottle, not 75w140.

This:

Then all of the sudden, there's this:

Awesome! Too bad FCP doesn't sell it
                        Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-16-2021, 01:15 PM.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          Then all of the sudden, there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Syntr.../dp/B07KQFV3K8

Awesome! Too bad FCP doesn't sell it
                          Looks like they do, just in smaller bottles:

2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

We've always known about those ya, but that's not the SAF xj + fm booster. I guess I assumed that the full liter bottle was a different formula with FM booster. Now it looks like they're the same thing

Oh well. The hard part is knowing if your diff is one that won't make noise with regular Limited slip additive found in retail products like the syntrax. Remember, not all Ms went back to the dealer to get the FM booster - it was described as "as needed" IIRC.

So do you try to save money, but then find that your diff is still groaning, so then you gotta get the BMW stuff? BMW stuff from FCP is probably still the best move.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              We've always known about those ya, but that's not the SAF xj + fm booster.
                              Pretty sure that's exactly what it is.

SAF-XJ => Syntrax 75W-140

"Limited Slip" implies FM booster. Or, more accurately, friction characteristics suitable for limited-slip operation.

In the off chance your diff groans with this stuff, you can always add FM booster later.
                              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                              Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                              Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Limited slip implies some type of friction modifier, not BMW's FM booster. Probably impossible to find out what exactly the additive is made of (most are molybdenum disulfide).

I've already played the game of trying aftermarket lubes and FMs - nothing works like the BMW stuff (in grey bottle with green top or clear bottle, grey label, red twist cap).

It's nice to see 75w140 castrol available in the U.S. now in the liter size, but it's not the same thing as BMW's saf xj + fm booster. Also, booster is a word to imply an extra amount of something. So it's more like SAF Xj with FM + FM booster. The syntrax would be like saf xj w/ some sort of FM.

Comment

Working...
                                X